Maternal & Child Community
Has anyone developed or know anyone who developed a heart problem durin...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Has anyone developed or know anyone who developed a heart problem during pregnancy?

As most of you know I went into A-Fib when I was 9 weeks pregnant and unable to bounce back on my own resulting in being cardio-verted after 9 days in the hospital.  I was taken off meds 6 months after giving birth but just last week my EKG came back abnormal again and I go tomorrow for a stress test.  I was perfectly healthy - athletic before pregnancy so my body and weight had nothing to do with this.  Now I am a little over-weight after gaining 80lbs during pregnancy and only loosing 60lbs after.  My concern is I dont know why this is happening to me?  I never smoked or did drugs so my body should have no damage to it and it does not fun in my family.

I just got the all clear to try again to get pregnant from my OB but not the all clear from my cardiologist.  They may need to medicate me again before I become pregnant and that scares me.

Does anyone know anything about this?  My cardiologist said it was rare for me to go through this during pregnancy but the american heart assoication does have pregnancy and A-fib linked so I am confused.

I am so sorry that you are going through this again! As you know I developed  tachycardia (rapid heartrate) during the last month of my pregnancy due to all the excess fluid.  I also had to see a cardiologist and have a ton of tests done.  The only thing that solved my problem was to give birth. I will have to see a cardiologist next pregnancy just to be safe. I know this has nothing to do with your situation but I wanted to offer my sympathy! :) And Atrial fibrillation and pregnancy are linked. Pregnancy can cause it.
Oh, and I forgot to add that a lady I work with also developed A-Fib during her 1st pregnancy and had to be medicated but was fine after she gave birth and she went on to have 3 more children and it never occurred again.
Just wanted to offer my support....Hope all goes well.

I don't know why this happened to you and why it's happening again and your not pregnant.  I could see if it was a pregnant related condition but for it to come back abnormal now and you not be pregnant yet....hmmm.

Is this a condition that can develop because of pregnancy and now it'll be a life long condition?  I'm sorry...and hope all goes well with the stress test tomorrow.
thanks ladies - Greta - Thanks for the story of the lady at work.  That is good to hear I never heard any personal stories before.  I was going to ask on the heart forum but I feel like I woudl be going to a new school with all new people.  haha
One of my neighbors had this happen to her with her first pregnancy, the dr's couldn't explain why it did but she turned out okay.  She's had another pregnancy after that with no problems.  Wish you luck!
Wow, this is awful.  I just wanted to say I'm sorry you are going through this.  Reading other people's comments though it seems that once they get you on medication you should be alright.  I'm sure that you will be ok to have another gorgeous baby.  Good luck and keep us all posted.
when I went to a new RE after years of docs
I was told I had cardiac arrythmia - he has to note it in my charts and warn me of possnibilites but that was it?
A fib during pregnancy is not common at all. I'm not saying it is rare...but it is certainly uncommon.

Do not get pregnant again until you get the all clear from your cardiologist.  The stress test and stress echo tomorrow will give you a lot of info.  

Hopefully, all will be fine!
Thank you all so much for your responses - Peek that is what the doctors had said when I was in the hospital - I was the youngest patient on the cardiac floor and I was pregnant.  The cardiologist and my OB doctor could not come to an agreement on how to treat me and then when they did it did not work resulting in the cardioversion.  I never even heard of any of that stuff before it happened to me.  It was crazy they would not even let me shower and well, I threw up every morning so that made my nurses run into my room due to my heartrate.

ANyway, yes cardiologist said under no circumstances should I get pregnant until they fix my problem. I am discouraged because my appt was just a follow up and I thought they were going to give me the all clear.

Thanks again