Maternal & Child Community
Has anyone ever been told the wrong gender?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

so as some of you know at my 13 weeks N/t scan the doctor told me he thinks im having a boy... i was at the ER last night and they did an ultrasound and i asked the tech if she could comment on gender and she said its too early to tell...  im 14 weeks and some odd days now.. is it possible the tech was wrong at at my 13 week scan..  do all babies start off male? a friend told me that.. at around 14 weeks thats when they either stay a boy or become a girl.. i am gonna have to goole that to see if its true...
A friend of mine has a father who's an OBGYN.  He did an u/s for another friend of mine at 13w and said it looked like a girl- it was!  I think it depends on the skill of the tech, the clarity of the u/s, and the way your baby is positioned.  
I think they all start by looking like a girl and then the penis comes out, hee, hee. I think :)
So, that's why I think when they say "BOY" that early they see something.
i am a carrier for certain x-chromosome birth defects, so it was important to find out early on if we were having a boy or a girl. my doctor was comfortable with my u/s at 15 weeks - where they determined that i was having a girl. if they had said boy - i would have had to go for further testing including amnio. so i'd say he was pretty confident with the 15 week determination. he wouldn't let me go earlier than that though.
I was 12 weeks and 4 days when we found out with Brody. But with this little boy, at 13 weeks we were told they couldn't tell and it was too early. Even at 16 and 17 weeks it was hard to tell. So, I guess it just depends on the baby, the position, the equipment and the tech. I wouldn't buy blue just yet. Nicksmom was told she was having a boy and then at around 19 weeks her baby was all girl! Check out her ultrasound pictures! I also have a friend who at around 13 weeks was told she was having a boy and she did indeed have a girl at 15 weeks, 20 weeks and at birth! I wouldn't be too sure that you are having a boy just yet. I've seen your ultrasound picture and it looks identical to my friends ultrasound picture who had a girl. The clitoris and penis are both about the same size at that stage. You never know!
They were right both times with me but with my friends they were told "boy" at 14 weeks and "girl" at 15 weeks.  Sometimes the umbillical cord gets in the way ;)
lol yea
my mom had i dont know how many ultrasounds done and she even bought those tapes of the baby they used to do  and everything said it was a girl the whole room was white an pink with ribbons and lace well the day my so called sister was born it was a boy !!! it was so horrible we had to return EVERYTHING!!! and half the stuff we couldnt take back because no tags or receipts........
I have a few friends that were told a boy at 13 weeks and was correct... We all start out with female parts and then if a boy the penis appears!  Your ultrasound really looked like a boy though!
At 13 weeks, its possible for them to be wrong.  Whether they are or not in your case, is another story.

Usually if they aren't sure, they don't say what they "guess".
With my son.. they guessed at girl but said they weren't sure..

This pg, she said her best guess was a boy and she was right..
hi- im the one jenstam spoke about. i went at 16 wks to a place that does u/s for fun, to see the gender. they said boy- it looked like a boy too! i bought all boy clothes then at my 18 wk appt at loyola they said girl, so we went back to the original place that day and told them they might be wrong- so they did another u/s and couldnt tell. so i went back a wk later and they said girl- i couldnt believe it! the lady said i could go back 1 more time just to be sure so we went back a wk or 2 later and a different lady said girl so i hope they are right! i have tons and tons of girl clothes nd everything thing else i need in pink! take a look at my pics- they are pretty good!
Oops, meant NicksWIFE, sorry ;)
they still have a bit of a tail at 13 weeks.  So all babies have bumps down there...not penis's.  it isnt that they all start boys and change to girls at 14 weeks, they just all have bumps and they go away.  at 12w2d I was told boy but it was a huge guess and it turned out to be correct.  Not trying to be mean, but it sounds like your friends are trying to get you to  hold out hope that it is still a girl when maybe they should be trying to help you be happy about a boy.  yes it is possible that it is a girl, but chances are it is a boy.  when I found out DS was a boy a lady that I knew told me that her best friend really wanted a girl and was depressed for her entire pregnancy once she found out it was a boy, but as soon as it came out she was so in love and could not imagine having any other baby.  Having a boy is not a bad thing!!
Boys are the BEST!!! I'm just saying, it's too early to be 100% sure, unless the tech said there was no doubt. I'm sure you are having a boy, but even if it were me, I wouldn't get my mind wrapped around it quite yet, until you get your next scan around 20 weeks. Even when we were told boy so early with our last pregnancy, I didn't believe it until the later scan.
My mother has a patient that was told she was having a boy for her whole pregnancy. She bought everything for a baby boy, decorated and prepared for him. Well, low and behold, she had a girl! It was crazy!
Babies don't start as boys! It's the cord that they see so early and sometimes mistaken it and say IT'S A BOY!!!!!!
I was told at 13, 16, 20 weeks that I it's a boy, I vave two boys and always wanted a princess. I had amnio test and it showed it's a girl wich made made me so worried if they mixed up my sample with someone elss. Sure enough I had a beautiful princess!!!
So, they could make mistakes, except for Amnio test, it's accurate.
Good luck withe a healthy pregnancy and baby
A friend of mine was told at every u/s it was a girl...but it was a boy. She was not a happy camper.
I am pretty sure that everyone starts out looking like a girl...  The testicals, if a boy, then form and drop.  Or the ovaries form.  All the books I have read say that the sex organs are not formed until the 16 wk or so and even then it can be difficult so thats why they typically wait for the 20 wk u/s.
13 weeks seems a little early for a positive gender u/s.  The best time is 20 weeks.  However, lol, with DD #1 I was told I was going to have twins... then that she was a boy... later the doctors couldn't find the heartbeat with a doppler (dumb *** forgot to use the gel).... so yes, been told wrong.  The other 2 were right... I can't wait to find out what this baby is.
I guess they have a 50/50 chance of being right...PRETTY GOOD ODDS really!!! LOL
One sure way to find out gender....BIRTH!
From the get go boys are boys,and girls are girls. 13 weeks is much too early for anyone to tell you pink or blue. The scan you you recieve when you are about 20 weeks is the one you should count on. Just remember even then mistakes can be made. I have five boys, and I was told the first were girls. lol. I learned the hard way to buy greens and yellows. If all else fails just keep your receipts. Good luck, and congrats
Well, my mom told me they insisted that I was a boy up until the min i was born!
She had only boy names picked out and after 3 days in the hospital i finally got a name!

Weird!...cause I am allllll GIRL!