Maternal & Child Community
Has anyone ever had a daughter with labial lesions?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ladies,
I took my daughter in for her one yr check up and the dr mentioned that she had labial lesions. As I think about it this morning I think it is possible that they formed sometime during her first yr. I would think that if she had this from birth that one of the dr's she has had would have noticed it by now. If you need me to explain what I am talking about basically the labia that are the flaps of skin that open the vagina are fused shut. Anyone has any thoughts then they would be greatly appreciated. The dr mentioned that if there was problems when potty training to use a estrogen based cream and rub it on that area, but I have researched a little bit and it seems that, that form of treatment could cause premature breast development and other hormone related issues. If you ladies could give me your thought it might help.
Thanks,
Brandy
I've heard of it, Brandy, but frankly I don't know much about it.  I vaguely recall someone here having to use an estrogen cream on her daughter for something similar, but it was a long time ago.

A cream, used sparingly and under a doctors supervision, should not likely lead to any problems.  You could try the Ask A Pharmacist Expert community here, or simply (and perhaps more appropriately) discuss your worries with the doctor or your own pharmacist.

Though I do think the best person to discuss this with is her pediatrician, I would also discuss it with your gynecologist.  Gyns will be the one who would have to deal with this problem in patients if a girl gets to puberty without it being diagnosed, so they must have some recommendations.  Good luck!
My daughter had it very early on, they prescribed some cream and told me to push lightly as I applied, hers was so thin that the first time I applied it, it opened...I was relieved because I was very hesitant to use hormone cream also....I wrote a post probably a year and a half ago, I'll see if I can find it.If they are not too bad, just lotion and some gentle pressure will start to weaken the lesion. I believe I used a q-tip to rub on the cream.
We used Premarin (I believe) on our 1st daughter whose labias fused together at 9 months.  It took VERY LITTLE, seriously not even hardly a drop used twice a day for about 7-10 days until they opened again (used a q-tip to apply, it seriously was very little).  She is now 4.5 years old, no adverse reaction to it.  Her labias did try to close back up a few months later, but we only had to do treatment for about 3-5 days then.  The ONLY thing you can tell from this treatment is that her outer labia is slightly darker than it should be.  Other than that...  no problems.