Maternal & Child Community
Has anyone ripped their stitches after episiotomy??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Has anyone ripped their stitches after episiotomy? I had my son July 15th 08 and some how I ripped my stitches. I went to the doctor and he took a look and he decided to see if it would heal up on it's own... Because if he did anything he would have to scrape it and sew it up is what he said. So he told me to soak and keep it clean and maybe it wouldn't get infected. Well he didn't even give me an antibiotic to take to help it not get infected. So a few days later I looked at it and of course it was infected. Well I called the doctor and talked to a nurse. She told me to wait until the next day and come up there and see him. I asked her was it really safe for me to wait longer?? I waited though and whenever I went up there he told me I had to have surgery. Repair episiotomy surgery... I was okay with this because they were gonna put me to sleep. Well I went on over to the hospital the same day and they put me to sleep.. Well whenever I woke up I was in so much pain that I couldn't even function... They started giving me morphine, fentnyl, and said they gave me 2 percosets by mouth. Well they gave me so much that I stopped breathing.. I was still in pain none of these meds helped any.. People say that this is very uncommon and I was just wondering if someone has been through the same surgery.. I was also wondering if he just didn't sew me up really good in the first place... Because whenever I went home from the hospital from having my son, I didn't do anything.. All I did was take care of him and he only weighed 5pounds 12ounces.... Also people told me that he should have numbed my vagina whenever he did the surgery because that way whenever I came too it wouldn't have been so bad all at one time... Just let me know if you had something similar to this or maybe even the same problem.. Because I can't find anyone who had this... Thanks for your time!!
WOW what a nightmare!! I feel so bad for you! NOT a fun place to hurt, that's for sure!! Well I have never had an episiotomy myself, so I don't have any info. Just wanted to say I am sorry. I really think doctors do too many episiotomys that arent necessary. Your baby was TINY. I have had 9 and 10 pound babies with no episiotomy because I FORBADE the doc to to one. They do it to hurry things along for THEIR convenience. And then look at the problems that can happen and the suffering you are going through. My midwife said almost EVERY woman can give birth without one. It's rare that someone TRULY needs one.
I hope things get better for you soon! :)
Thanks, Yeah I am just trying to figure out if it was the doctors fault or what. Because I just don't think he took the time to do it right.. Because I read a lot of forums and stuff about that office and all people did was complain about how they are always in a hurry.. And it didn't take him long to stitch me up after I delivered.. And even this time he claims he triple stitched me but it only took him 30 minutes because he was out in the lobby talking to my mother about it in 30 mins she said.. So I mean even that is kinda quick you would think...
Yes I think it sounds like he is in too big a hurry too. Is this your first baby? If you are having any more, I think you should get a different doc. That is horrible!
wow that is quite a nightmare as jenny said...I am sorry to hear...I've not had an episiotomy myself,I ripped on my own..the dr didnt have time to give me one...he dropped the knife. Is there anyway you could possibly get a second opinion from another dr?
Jenny - Yes this was my first child.. And yes if I have another one I am def gonna get a different doctor..

CYW - I am sure I could but considering he already did this surgery I don't think there is anything else I can do.. Another doctor could tell me if he had something to do with it or not though I guess... But like I said before I don't understand why he didn't give me antibiotics to prevent infection.. Instead he just ignored it and of course it got infected..

Unfortunately, infections can result from an episiotomy.  Its not common, but they happen.  

Episiotomies also do open up sometimes.

I can't comment on whether you needed one in the first place or not, because I wasn't there. There are reasons besides the size of the child to do episiotomies.  And are you sure you had an episiotomy (a surgical cut in the perineum) and not a tear?

I also can't make any comment on whether you needed antibiotics when you first saw him, because I also wasn't there to see if there were any signs of infection present when he saw you.

Also can't tell you if he used local or not when he did your surgery.  I had local (and general) for a hemmorhoid surgery, and I was in a WORLD of hurt afterwards, even though they did use local along with the general.   Perhaps he did use local and you hurt despite it, perhaps not.  

All I can say is that anytime you have any surgery, episiotomy, or any sort of break in the skin, it can get infected.  Even if everything is done "right".  Women are not routinely put on antibiotics after childbirth that involved a tear or episiotomy, even though that is a "dirty" area.  Usually, the epis does not break down or get infected, but unfortunately, yours did.  

Yeah I am sure I heard and saw him cut me, Plus he told me he did and told me he had to repair episiotomy. The first time I went to see him because I had ripped my stitches it wasnt infected yet. Also I am not sure about the local they never said he used it so I don't think he did.. Because they told me everything else he did I would think they would tell me if he did that.. Not sure though! And I wouldn't doubt him at all but he rushes through "everything" and a lot of people quit going to him because he doesnt take time on anything.. And 90% of the time if you rush you are more likely to make a mistake..
They never told me they used it on me at the time...I asked at my post op appt several days (agonizing days) later.  

If you feel rushed by a doctor, you should find a new one.  You should always feel comfortable with your doctor.

I just wanted to say that sometimes everything can be done right, and you can get an infection.  I can't comment on his skill, his actions, your actions, or anything else because I wasn't there.

Recover quickly and find a doctor you feel better about.  
Yeah I am, I thought he was a good doctor up until all this happened.. But he just rushes a little too much for me.. Whenever I asked him questions he just kinda blew me off and told me that nothing is wrong all the time. Even when I told him I ripped my stitches he acted like I was crazy and that there was no way that could have happened.. But then when he seen it he said oh in my 22 years I have never seen this.. So who knows.. I am gonna get a new doctor and hopefully I will be better soon... :D Thanks for the help anyways..
ouch ladies - I am sorry you girls had to go through that.  I had a c-section and loved it and after reading this I am loving it more and more.  Hope you feel better soon. ouchy!
I tore my stitches after an episiotomy and let me tell you it sucked! I was also told it was very uncommon it figures that it would happen to me. I had outpatient surgery as well under general anesthesia because closing the wound in the surgeons office would have caused me too much pain. I was stupid when I came home from the hospital with my daughter and did too much i.e. moving furniture. I guess the next baby will be delivered by c-section....
Omg!!!!! Plz help me right now my life is your story everything is same as yours just tell me did u get better and normal again can you have intercourse now and did your vagina go back to normal? I was cut all the way up to my anal and after six week appt I my doc said my stitches were thorn apart and I am waiting on another surgery know with a specialist I just hope it all goes well and I go back to normal it's been 2 months since I gave birth , I'm sooo sad right now cuz I can't sit or stand well and I thought I was the only one this happen to. Please write back and let me know if u got better after the second episiotomy.
My third child was born on 2/2/12. About one week later i was still extremely sore. I finally saw the ob and my stitches had loosened. Was told it will take weeks to heal and was sent home. A few days later I felt like something was sticking out and I looked and saw tone of suture material sticking out. Went back to the Ob and two ob's looked at it and they sent me to a specialist. Saw him a week ago and he removed all sutures and cleaned it felt all over the place, Not sure what worse childbirth or this md feeling all around. Now I have to take sitz bath 3 times a day and pack the tear.(I am sick of looking at my vagina). I have to see him tomro for a follow up. I also have trouble walking and sitting and trouble running after three children. I feel helpless.
Actually yes, kind of, but not to that degree. I had an episiotomy, waited my six weeks and tore back open. It didn't rip all the way back down, only about half. After about a week, I finally got seen (the doctors told me not to worry about it, but how do I not worry about my damn vagina ripping open?) She told me that it had, indeed, ripped, but she wants to let it heal on its own. No antibiotics. That was about two weeks ago, and it's still healing (i think) she didn't tell me to come back in or anything. I actually had to stop her on her way out the door to ask when it would be healed, and she said when it stopped hurting, but i'm terrified to have sex again because I don't want it to tear open again or get infected. I tried to make another appointment to be checked, and the doctor all but laughed at me and said i'd be fine and that it was impossible I had ripped.
Some doctors are just in the wrong profession. Sorry about your experience and hope you feel better soon.