Maternal & Child Community
Have question about lice Or open forum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Have question about lice Or open forum

My daughter has had reacurring bouts of lice (5) in the last 2 weeks.  There are 5 of us in the house and myself and my older DD had it once.  Everyone has been treated twice expect my youngest-for her more but I feel its not healthy to continue using the chemicals on her.  We tried nix the first time on a Friday then  they following Monday she had more so I treated her with rid then the following Monday she had more then again this Friday and then Sunday.  I do clean the house throughly, put up stuff animals, wash all beddings, I even spray the furniture and car seats.  Does anyone know of any treatments that might work?  I am 30 weeks pregnant and can't use the prescritions and have no one to do so for us.  I have heard something about Mayo but not sure.  Any advice would be greatly appreticated and sorry if I gross anyone out.
Tags: lice, maternal
My stepdaughter had lice once...right after DH and I got married (At the time, I was beginning to think this step-parenting stuff was not for me.) She had it bad, and the over the counter stuff did not work. It helped, but the little bastards are tough! We had to use prescription Lindane shampoo. One use was all it took. Your post said that you can't use the RX stuff because you're pg, but you can use it on her. Just be sure to wear gloves made of nitrile, latex with neoprene (not natural latex), or sheer vinyl. I'm telling you, if Rid & Nix isn't working, get some Lindane from the dr. You'll wish you had done it sooner. Good luck.
sounds like you are doing everything you can- except- treat the carpet with the powder stuff they sell (i think it's labeled for furniture and carpet). you'd be amazed how long the little pests can live in the carpet. they can also live in mattresses for a fair amount of time so it is a good idea to wrap all of the mattresses in plastic for a week to kill all of them.

best of luck to you. this happened to my cousins when i was little and until they treated the carpets and mattresses it kept recurring.
I am a cosmetology instructor and trust me when I say, they are hard to get rid of.
Scrub anything you can down with bleach, if you can't, have your husband do it.
As for all bedding, wash in hot water with bleach.  The stuffed animals, barbie's, anything lice can attach to, need to be pleaced in an airtight bag for 5-7 days.
You can take your daughter to the drs and I'm sure they will do something maybe the nurse will even wash the perscription stuff into her hair for you, if not, have your husband do it.
Just alittle known fact too:
Lice is only attrached to CLEAN hair!!!
When it's back to school time at the beauty school I always run cocunut oil through my hair because it greases it up and the lice can't attach.  I have yet to run into ethnic hair that has lice (because with ethnic hair you use grease)
Are the lice white or brown.  If they are brown they are dead and just need pulled out of her hair.
I will call Dr office tomorrow and see if they wouldn't put the meds in for me.  I never thought of that and it would be worth the cost.  I also wonder about the hair texture.  My dd that has this reaccurring has thin, blonde cruley hair.  My oldest dd has straight thick darker hair and my son has thicker straight cource hair, and mine is thick, course,and curly.  

I am going to steam clean the carpets tomorrow.  I was just vaccuming every day.  

I just can't wait to get rid of them.  It like she'll never be free of them.  I also heard someone say that they put mouse in her kids hair every day and they haven't got them again even when there was a breakout at school.
No one ever gave me the explaination of way black hair never gets lice.  I just kinda assumed it was because of the grease and that making the hair hard for the lice to attach to.  
Black hair is just very very coarse and hard to manage and that makes the texture different.  
I myself have very coarse hair that cannot be washed everyday, or I would be the frizz ball from hell.  Alot of my black clients go 7-10  days without washing their hair, because of the coarse texture the "greasier" their hair gets, the "better" it looks.  It weighs it down in a sense.
It sounds gross, but it works for them.

'
You know, when I worked in the local county jail, we noticed that black people did not ever come in with lice. I don't think it's necessarily because of a hair product, but maybe the texture of their hair. I could be wrong, but we never had to de-louse any of the black inmates- just the anglos.
Hi if you can put soft toys and pillows in the frezzer, thats if you have a chess frezzer. The over the counter treatments are ok, but do you have a lice comb and are you combing the eggs out. You really have to get the eggs. Good luck.
Yes I do have a comb.  I bought those ones made by rid it has a shorter comb for eggs and lice and a longer one for the nits.  The package said that the eggs and nits are different I hadn't heard that before.  Then after I comb I go through their hair again and pull out everything that looks like the nit out.  It a painful process for everyone.  This is one of the reason I don't understand  why my youngest keeps getting reinfected.  Plus I check their heads  everytime their fingers touch their scalp sometimes 3-4 times a day.   They have to be picking up from somewhere are someone.  Plus my youngest isn't in school or daycare the other 2 are in school but they haven't gotten them.  I told my husband that everyone in his family needs to be check since they are the only common factor. I told my mil each time my daughter has gotten them.
We got lice from a family member several months ago.  Prepare to be blamed if your family is anything like mine.  I cought it early so my kids only had like ten, after I brought it up we found out H nephew and SIL head was crawling with them.  They still blamed us anyway.  We got this comb it vibrated or something.  It has batteries and they don't like it.  we still had to use rid but it did help.
My 4 year old daughter picked up head lice from her cousin and I have treated her 5 times in one month. I tried LiceRX from the internet, I heard the Army uses it, but it did not work for her. I found a lot of bugs just 6 days after treating her. Now, we are back to RID. I just checked her again, and I haven't found anything else. She has hair past her bottom so combing through it with that small-tooth comb is a chore! :( Has anyone else tried LiceRX , it even has a double your money back garuantee. I have also read though that lice can only live for around 48 hours if they are not on a human head.
You (the cosmetologist) are actually telling someone to use LINDANE on their childs head? What the ****? That causes cancer. Rid or Nix or whatever else works fine, use it first, comb, wash all your bedding in hot water (you don't need to use bleach unless you want to ruin your sheets), put all the stuffed animals in a trash bag for about a month, vacuum (IMPORTANT*** make sure you change the vacuum bag each time after vacuuming for about 2-3 weeks, sounds nuts, but then again so is lice), and then of course after 7-10 days do another treatment. The licemeister comb works really well and can be boiled after each use and will not melt. Another thing to do is comb your kids hair out every night for a couple of weeks w/ the lice comb... And if you want use the spray on your mattress, car seats, couches, etc.
I don't know whether you realised but this post is almost 2 years old :)

Out of interest as lice are a "bug-bear" (excuse the pun of mine having 4 daughters with long hair- I have found a really great nit comb it's called a Nitty Gritty and it is FABULOUS! It has long rounded metal teeth (doesn't pull out the hair) and has grooves in each tooth a bit like the bit of a drill, and that's how it gets rid of eggs too. I swear by it and don't use any chemicals on my girls. I'm not sure where you'll buy one worldwide but here's the website: http://www.nittygritty.co.uk

Ruth xx
hi sorry about the lice I am a mother of three my daughters attend a school were they had a terrible outbreak two weeks ago my child got them I called the Dr to ask about perscription strength lice meds and was told they are also as ineffective as what you buy at walgreens so I looked on some forums and this is what I did (happy to Say NO More LIce) the first thing I did was gather everything up as you did washed at the local laundry mat and rinse in Hot water and dried longer then needed, went to wlamart got new pillows 2.00 a pop, bought the rid kit because they all seem to work the same, went home put the shampoo in her and the other children who did not have it but to be safe wrapped their heads up in plastic and left the meds on for two hours, while waiting i vacumed rooms mattress and box spring and carpet sprayed everything down including the carpet with the lice spray and sprayed with a flea spray also, i put all stuffed animals in bags i am leaving them there for two months washed hats hoodies  and boiled hair brushes hair tie backs etc. after shampooing the hair I used the small rid metal combs and gel to clean out bugs and the longer comb to get the nits and smaller lice now the combs wont get everything some times you miss or they are stubborn I read on a blog about using a hair straightening iron to help rid (the Heat Kills And Destroy NITS) I used a remington wet to straight iron on my girls hair one because it heats very high and two you can do it right after you comb out the hair and it still wet I set it on the heat at 30 and put olive oil leave in conditioner in the hair (HAirmasters carry) to prevent damage I was amazed the ones that the comb didnt get start to burn and disentgrate as I ran the straightner over the hair do the sections until they are dry and then a once over after it dries be careful the hair gets extremely hot does not burn the child but get your thumb every so often its been two weeks I did a follow up treatment as in structed but did not find lice or nits i chalk it up to the straightner  lol because I have been through the same as you and most of the other parents and know the frustration it causes I also do use a spray of cconut conditoner with water on my daughters hair before school and at bed time I seen a spray in walgreens that you use daily for children but this is cheaper and works also just be dilligent about combing with the metal combs and after bath time run it through the hair as part of routine I know it seems alot everyday or other day but the payoff is worth it. Seems to be a problem During School year but no probs in the summer good luck and try the straightner also if the gel is pricey you can always use mayo to loosen nits.
Does treat-it anti-lice shampoo work  for pubic lice
It’s look like every kind of medical issues need a professional to solve on. That’s why Tiny Locks offers you standard and safest method of treatment that lice would be can’t infested again.