Maternal & Child Community
Haven't felt the baby move

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Haven't felt the baby move

Hi everyone I have a question. I am 18w 2d pregnant and I have yet to feel the baby move, is something wrong?????? And once I can feel it move what does it feel like? I am very worried because a I had a miscarriage and got pregnant again before my first AF.
is this your fist baby?  alot of people dont feel them move til closer to the 20 weeks.  I am 18 wks and 2 days as well and have felt movement.  its more like fluttering or quickening.  its so strange i dont think i could mistake it for anything else but they say it can feel like gas.  I am sure you are fine.  some people have tougher bellies and uteruses (is that a word??) so it may not be til later.  I have even heard people say that they didnt feel it til after 23 weeks.  check w/ your dr if you are really concerned.  best wishes.
If this is your first child it is not unusual to feel movement as late as 20 weeks, for most first time moms its between 18 and 20 weeks, if you have had other children movement can be felt from 17-20 weeks.
try not to worry, a trip to your mid wife will put your mind at rest, ask her to listen for babies heart beat which is very clear by 18weeks, alternatively if you are really worried ask for an ultrasound scan.
sticky babydust to you
   xxx
although my last successful pregnancy was 18 years ago, i do remember those first feelings, it felt to me like butterflies in my belly!
I am 23 weeks and 5 days prego and I first felt my baby move when i had my ultrasound at 18weeks.  I drank nearly 80oz of water and felt her move once. I guess with my bladder so full it pushed her in a postion that I could feel.  It felt like little flutters..however I did not feel her again for weeks.  I even went to the dr. and had them check the heartbeat.  She was fine.  They told me it was alittle early to be feeling her and as they checked the heartbeat she was just a movin i just couldn't feel her.  They say it is like out hearts beating.  You cannont feel all the pumping your heart is doing because it is small just like our babies at first. Just recently I feel her move all the time.  It started about week 21 and just here and there flutters.  Now at 23 weeks I can distinguish between kicks and just wiggles.  Give the baby a few more weeks and you will feel him or her.  Please don't stress, seems normal from what my dr.s say.
Just to let you know, mine felt nothing like butterflies, more like muscle spasms.  Sort of if you had a twitch under your belly that wouldn't go away, but it wasn't as rhythmic as a muscle spasm.  So, don't freak out if you're not feeling the "butterflies", it might feel like something else down there but it is the same thing.  I can't remember if I felt mine at 18 or 20 weeks, but it was so faint when I first felt it, I'm surprised I noticed at all.  Be patient, you'll feel it and then it won't go away.  I'm almost 29 weeks and I can feel the baby rolling around in there and pressing up against my stomach.
I did not feel movement until 21 weeks.  I think you have a little more time yet before you'll be able to feel something.  You'll feel a flutter or tickling, and maybe only once a day at first.

Don't get worried yet, you're still a little early.  Have you been hearing good strong heartbeats at the doc's office?
I didn't feel my twins until 19 weeks, and there must have been stuff going on in there since on US they were always kicking each other.
With this pregnancy, it took me until 19 weeks as well (my sister felt her second at 14 weeks...). I felt some flutters before but was not 100% sure until one day he kicked so hard for a couple of minutes that I saw my belly move. So it's very possible you have felt it already, but attributed it to something else in your belly!
I felt DD move at 20 weeks. It definitely felt more like spasms than like butterflies. After the first time, I didn't feel movement again for 5 days or so and then it didn't stop. Try drinking some OJ as that seems to get baby going/moving. You definitely have nothing to worry about at this stage.
this is my 3rd preg, and i didn't feel the baby move till about 20 weeks, way after everyone else.  i just talked to my dr, and he was not worried.  now it is more regular, (am 23 weeks now.)
visit with your ob if you are scared.  im wishing you lots of joy and excitement for your pregnancy.  the little guy/girl will kick in soon.
:)
I am 21 weeks pregnant and had my ultrasound last and everything was a ok , but I havent felt baby move yet either...over the last few days i have felt a few strange things but it may just be gas.... but dont worry at 18 weeks it is far too early....
yeah, don't worry...
give it a couple of weeks, your baby will be doing cartwheels before you know it!!!  :-)  
you'll definitely know when your baby starts moving, eventually you'll even see your belly literally jump from the kicks. or when it moves from one side of the belly to the other.
enjoy those moments, because to me, it was the most wonderful feeling in the world.
this post is form 2006
i haven't felt my 22 weeks old baby move for about two day, and i'm really worried...should i call the doctor?
YES!!
im just coming up for 19 weeks and im not sure ive felt the baby move yet!????   i think i get a slight butterflies feeling but not really sure??? also i have had slight twinges not painful but uncomfortable and it worries me??? any ideas??? this is my first pregnancy after suffering a miscarriage last xmas so a bit paranoid i think.
I am 21 weeks and this is my first pregnancy and yesterday i went to the emergency room because i had trouble breatheing and felt like something was puushing on my chest so they admitted me right away, they did a vq scan and ekg and a x-ray of my chest area and i was feeling the baby move all day and now today i havent felt him at all, should i be worried?
am 2o week pregnant for the past two weeks i have felt my baby kick first thing in the morning and last thing at night, i had my 20 week scan eveythtin was perfect with him heart and everythin but today its weird i dont think i have felt him kick or move! am worried!! so i be or give it another day before ringing my midwife?? please help this is first and am scared
what about if your thin? im nearly 19 weeks and havent felt it move yet and i keep reading if your thin you should feel it. you think im still ok?
I don't think you have anything to worry about my midwife said to me baby is still so small n until youget to about 26 weeks it's fine to not feel it all the time, still alot of hiding placesfor it yet