Maternal & Child Community
HcG Injection with IUI and Clomid-- I have never done an injection... H...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HcG Injection with IUI and Clomid-- I have never done an injection... HELP!

Can anyone give me some advice?  I have done three cycles of clomid without injection and without success.  Now my RE is doing a cycle with an HcG injection to better pinpoint ovulation for an IUI.  
I have never done an injection on myself, but I am not needle skiddish.   I just don't know if i can stick myself.
Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, tips... ANYTHING.  I'm a little nervous.
Tags: maternal
i hate needles too - so i hear and understand your fear and pain!! i'm going to be starting ivf in a few weeks so i'm trying to get used to the idea. but with the hcg shot i would think the nurse in your dr.'s office could give it to you right before the iui. i know when i had a trigger shot (ovidrel - maybe it's not the same thing that you're having though)the nurse did it in the office and it didn't hurt. she did it in my stomach area and i didn't feel it at all. good luck - hope this is the only "trigger" you need to get your healthy bfp!!
Can your husband or family member give you the injection?
I have had 2 IUI, no luck. I also used the Ovidril. After having the injection, after how many hrs did you have the IUI?
Hi there, I gave myself the Ovidrel (which is what I think you are talking about) and I have to tell you, it is a piece of cake. I was so nervous sitting on my bed almost doing it over and over.  Once I actually put it in, I started laughing, it feels less than a pinch, I mean you seriously won't even jump.  It is a thin tiny needle (not one the size of a vaccination) and you put it right in your belly.  I know - seems creapy but it honestly isn't. Have your DH do it for you if you are too scared.  By the way - my first cylce on increased Clomid 100mg, I took Ovidrel and had an IUI. I am currently pregnant!!

Good Luck
Oops! Sorry, yall! I didn't know that Ovidrel was another name for hcg. The syringe my nurse gives me is a little big to take in the gut, so I take mine in the hip. Maybe I'll ask for the Ovidrel instead, though. Premixed with a smaller needle sounds like a better deal.
The hcg shot goes in the hip, not the stomache. I agree with Harley, get someone to do it for you. It's kind of awkward to give yourself a shot in the butt. Did you get the premixed syringe, or the two vials that you mix yourself?
I got the needle yesterday from the pharmacist and it is premixed.  It is the Ovidrel.  My RE said to get the shot and they will do the IUI the following day or if I do it at night two days later.   They say I will ovulate 24- 36 hours after the injection.  They said i can take it in the belly or butt.
Thank you all so much for your help.  i feel better.
I want to thank travelnurse so much!   i feel so much better knowing that you had the same procedure and it was successful for you!  I feel really good about this month so i hope it will work.
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE.   It has helped and I trust that the injection will not be that bad.  i don't think my husband will be able to do it, though.   I can do it.  I trust your tips and assurances!   I can do this.  I'll let you know!
you know what as i re-read this and think about it i'm not so sure that i had the ovidrel with the iui - it may have been the cycle before i tried iui and just had ovidrel with meds. i probably did it right before O or day of O. i would think that if doing with iui then it would be the same - probably day of O and depending on when you do iui- sometimes day or two before O and sometimes day of O. i don't remember that much about when i did the ovidrel shot, but i do remember it wasn't painful (didn't feel it)and that the nurse was able to give it to me in the office. i brought it with me to a few appointments and on day dr. saw was going to O she gave it to me. good luck and hope this with the iui works for you real quick!!
I was in the same boat with no success on clomid for 3 cycles.  I then did 2 cycles of puregon injections (this is manually giving urself FSH) daily until the desired outcome arises....ovulation and just a day before this happens I go to the hospital for them to inject pregnal (another form of injection that consists of HCG. On the 2nd attempt I fell pregnant but mc 10 weeks on.  This is my second cycle since mc and I started back on the puregon injections again but this time round o has happened very quick with 4 follicles maturing. I have had the pregnal injection and shuld have o'd between last night and this morning (the pain was bad enuf for me to safely assume I did!).  So dh and I bd twice yesterday, morning and night and this morning, just hope only one gets seeded...lol and not all 4!

As for giving the injections I had same fear but it really isnt that bad, you just get up in the morning do it quick and its all over. The needles are that thin and only about an inch maybe less so you dont really feel anything and less than the mosquito bite that a nurse will tell you you will have when she gives you an injection!  It is totally mind over matter and once you have done it a couple of times, you will be proud of how brave you are it really isnt such a huge deal....I think of the end result as I inject and it seems to make it all the more worthwhile!

Best of luck!
I have an ultrasound Saturday and i think they will tell me to do the injection Tuesday after a Monday ultrasound.  I'll let you know... but I feel alot better now that so many of you have done it and can tell me it's not that bad.  Thank you!
Hello, I used the trigger shot (Ovidrel) for 2 cycles with IUI and clomid.... it really is not that bad... I also hate needles and I can't even look when I get my blood drawn, but I do have to say that it was EASY!!!  I gave the shot in my upper hip. thigh area.... which they said was OK to do... I have more "fat" there anyway.... I would also ice the area first and then give the shot...I did need to psyc. myself up for it, but after it was done, I thought, "that really was not that bad"...  I will also be attempting IVF in a couple of weeks and I heard there is a lot of shots and needles soooo I need to get ready for this!!!Anyway, good luck, take a deep breath and relax....please let us know how you did!!!
Thank you.  I hope I won't have to get used to the injections, because I have a good feeling about this month.  The clomid makes me very happy (I don't know why, but my hubby wants me on it 24/7 :-))   I am frightened of mc, though.   I understand that because I have had a difficult time conceiving, my liklihood of miscarriage are increased.   I don't know if I could handle that.  
You said you had pain during ovulation... what kind of pain?  I had severe pain with my last two cycles of clomid and it really worried me.   I thought my ovaries were over stimulated, but it really hurt... I called out of work.  Was your pain like that, or was it cramps?
Hi dh and i have been trying to concieve (conceive) for over 5 years now with no luck. My obgyn ran lots of tests on me, ran dye through my tubes etc, and also checked dh's sperm count. Everything is normal. Nothing to worry about. So, obgyn prescribed me clomid, i took clomid for 4 months ...On, the 4th month...I had an IUI with the clomid. with no positive result. So, i decided myself to actually go see a fertility specialist. He did a u/s on my 3rd day of my cycle, and everything looked A ok. So, i started my 5th round of clomid today, but on the 19th i have to go in for another u/s to check to see if my follicles are doing what they are supposed to be doing, and then dh will give me hcg shot, and then i'll have an IUI. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed ; ) pray for us, as I am praying for you all....baby dust to all....
I had my Day 3 on September 29, 2007 u/s and b/w was normal, Day 3 - 7 took clomid 100mg, had an u/s on Day 10 October 4 they said I had about 10 follicles 2 good size ones, then I had to give myself a shot of Bravelle 75 iu, went back to the doctors on Day 11, October 5 for u/s and b/w, they said I had 8 follicles in 1 ovary and 10 in the other.  They wanted me to take my trigger med (Ovidrel) that evening and would be ready for IUI on Day 13, October 7th, they also told me that my estrogen level was 254, I thought that was pretty high but, i don't know, they said it was great.  My husband’s sperm count was 17 mil.  I have grown very frustrated over having a baby, I realize I am not alone but it sure feels like it, I stopped taking b/c in January 2005, wow it doesn't seem like it was that long ago. We were at the stage if it happens then it happens in 2006, so I did not take any meds until April 2007.  We have been really monitoring all activity since April 2007.  I started taking clomid 50 mg for 3 cycles (no injectibles), 100 mg for 2 cycles (no injectibles), then I decided to go back to SG fertility center.    I find out if the IUI worked on October 22, 2007, keep me in your prayers. Has anyone else taken clomid 100 mg, Bravelle 75 iu and Ovidrel (trigger med)?  If so, what was your success rate?

Good luck to all,
BabyCountdown
I am completely new to all this.  My husband and I have been married for 3 years now and have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years.  Just this summer we finally went through the gambit of tests both him and myself to find out he has male infertility.  Had surgery for that.  Now I am currently in my first cycle of clomid.  My ultrasound is scheduled for next Tuesday with a HCG shot I am supposed to give myself afterwards.  So after I give myself this shot how long is it before I go in for my IUI.  This is all so new to me any help, advice, would be appreciated!  :)
hey i was wanting to  know if you had to take clomid and also injections? i have to go to my doctor in a week and im kinda scared lol i have a bad phobia of needles
You can place the injection in either thigh or stomach about a inch away from your belly button my specialist told me so, plus my clinic offers classes on how to do it yourself they said the same thing and the company that makes Ovidrel has a dvd for you to watch and on the dvd states the same thing in thigh or stomach.  I didn't hear anything about the hip.