Maternal & Child Community
HcG not showing up on urine test, but still pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

If I were to be pregnant, I would be about 12 1/2 wks along...but the thing is, I've had "normal" periods until yesterday. Yesterday was like an hour of very very very ligt bleeding...almost non existent. I've taken 4 urine tests(two in Oct and two after christmas) and they are all neg...I've only had sex the one time in Oct. (oh, and i am over 18, so im not some confused high school girl). I was just wondering if it is possible to be 3 mos pg and still test neg on the urine test...im thinking about getting a blood test, but i dont want to get one if i dont really need one.
I'm going to say no, it's not possible. The only way to be 100% sure is to have a blood test.  Good luck.
That would be highly unusual after 3 months to test negative. You should definitely have your blood taken.
Why do you think you are pregnant if you have been having "normal" periods?
This is just my opinion but I say not a chance. Some women do have what they see as periods during preg. Very abnormal though but they know there preg due to postitive hcg test followed by a pos blood test. I think we can worry are selves silly if we are not careful. I also know it takes only one time but that is for the lucky, Oh yeah and teenagers. I think though your probably not expecting. sorry. Good luck to you though.
It is possible to be pregnant and have period, with period during pregnancy, urine tests are usually negative.
There is bleeding during some pregnancies but not periods. Often times women will think they are having a light period when it is actually implantation bleeding etc. Some women will bleed somewhat up to 4 months of pregnancy, lightly but it is not a period. Since there is no ovualtion taking place there is no actual shedding of the uterine lining in preperation for the following months cycle to start all over again.
I read on some official medical website that it is possible, yet rare, to have menstration throughout pregnancy. I said "normal" because my periods used to be excruciating, and now they're bearable...although i dont know if yesterdays even counts as a period...lol.
I had a period at 12 weeks, but it is more common with my condition, I have a heart shaped uterus where technically only one side is pregnant, since I was so far along they did an ultrasound to check the baby and saw that my "un-pregnant" side was shedding its lining.

But I had a BFP the day before AF was supposed to show up, so sorry, but I doubt you are pregnant.
The amount of flow, cramping, bloating,etc. can vary in your cycles. If your AF's are more bearable, then I think it's just hormonal changes that can happen to any woman. If you conceived in October, it would show up on a hpt by now.
I will have to agree with the other posters.  A hpt would have showed up.  However the anxiety you are causing yourself or perhaps you wish you were pregnant can cause your body to react and make you think you are pregnant.  Sorry.
If you are pregnant, you have probably heard about other women who have their periods during pregnancy. This story seems to cycle throughout the generations and is almost an urban legend now. Everyone seems to know someone who has a friend who got their period during their pregnancy!

Many women can experience episodes of bleeding and spotting during pregnancy. Bleeding is especially common in the first trimester and about 30% of pregnant women experience bleeding during this time. Although fewer women bleed during the second and third trimesters, spotting is still possible and not all that uncommon. However, though this bleeding may resemble menstruation, it actually is something different altogether.

Why You Can
I have been bleeding since I was 2 weeks pregnant.  I am now 9 weeks soon to be 10.  I am still at a threatened m/c stage.  They consider anyone bleeding at risk for a m/c.  However, I go in every other week for an u/s and a manual check to make sure my cervix and the baby are okay. If you are bleeding and you are pregnant then yes I would definately start seeing your ob ASAP.
This is all confusing to someone going through it for the first time. I took a hpt on monday that was pos and have had many syptoms (symptoms) of pregnancy including tender breast, food cravings, excessive sleeping, constipation (i've never ever been constipated), etc. My first appointment is next thursday, with my sister who is also expecting. We think we're both about 4-5 weeks. Today though, my lower back has been hurting and i started bleeding. It's thick and is joined by a clear dishcharge. This is very similar to my period. My gyn did a urine test and it was neg so she says to do another first thing in the morn and if it is pos to have blood work done to check my levels and if its neg then the first one was probably a false pos. Can this be trusted? Or should i have the blood work done anyway? My sister says her mother in law did bleed with her third child so its somewhat comforting but still, its now new years weekend and my gyn will be closed until tuesday. i'll go crazy before then. and i dont think my eyes will take anymore crying. also, i'm very glad to have found this forum.
Hmm...well, if you're using the early hpt's that could also explain why you're getting +'s, but the dr's was neg. Are you testing with the ones that say you can test before your AF is due? You can always call the E.R. and speak to a nurse- I've done this before when I was pg. Unfortunately, if you're m/c'ing, there is not alot they can do, but you might want to call and talk to someone and then decide. misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com is a good site to look at, too. You're kind of in a waiting game right now, which is very hard. Try to stay positive, and don't lose hope just yet.
thank you. that helps. todays test is pos i think. one line is extremely light but still there. should i go to the hospital?
I had a blood test done and I am NOT pg...I'm dissapointed but I think its for the best...thanks for everyones help! :)
Sounds like it could be a chemical pregnancy, which is a very early m/c. That would explain why you had a positive followed by a negative hpt. Many times, women experience these and never know they were pg- they think they're just having a heavy AF. It's not really a "false positive," it's just a very early positive that fails to implant or develop. Maybe today's test will give you better news- I certainly hope so. If not, then the good news is you know you can get pg, and can start trying again with your next cycle. Good luck.
i would say its not impossible. i took 2 home pt and they both came out positive. then i went to the doctor and there urine test came out to be negative. then they took a blood test and it came out positive. i was having regular periods also with no symptoms of being pregnant it just so happens my boyfriend told me to take one, so just get a blood test to be certain.
Hi Girls....

My husband and I have been TTC for 4 months. We flew out to Tucson, Arizona where my DH had a successful vasectomy reversal in August 2004 with a vas to vas reconnection and free flowing semen. They did take viable sperm in case of possible AI or IUI. I've just had my yearly and everything has checked out fine but my husband does have a low sperm count. We have an appt to see a Fertility specialist on January 19 to look into our options.

However...I was due to start my period on December 26 and I still haven't started (8 days late on a 29 day cycle). I have taken 3 HPT's and they were all negative. I always use OPK's and the test indicated that I was ovulating and my DH and I baby danced on days 10, 12, 14, 16 right on target (according to my Gyno/OBGYN). Since all 3 of my HPT's were negative, I assumed that AF would be arriving soon but I have had NO SYMPTOMS like I normally have before I start my period and to top it off I have had a LOT of EW CM and usually after I ovulated and I'm due to start my period, my CM dries up. So today I used another ovulation test and it showed that I'm ovulating AGAIN! How can that be without having a period inbetween and in a matter of a couple weeks? I'm very confused. My cycles are very regular, I'm 30 years old, I usually have cramps/gurgling, migraines and tender BB's before my period.
What could be going on???

Any suggestions???

And I just wanted to say to all of you hopeful mothers...God Bless you all!

LOTS AND LOTS of BABY DUST!!!!!
i have all the symptoms of pregnancy : REALLY sore breasts, frequent urination, nausia, and man am i TIRED! ive taken every at home test you can name or think of and there all coming up negative. about 3 weeks ago i had a slight period that was light and only lasted about 2 and 1/2 days whereas my normal period lasts about 5-6 days starting with me being nausious accompanied by bad cramps, however this one was unlike that. i am nervous and scared! please help!
any info would be greatly appreciated!
You posted your comment on a really OLD thread -- see the dates are for over a year and half ago.

Go back to the forum and click POST A QUESTION so it puts it in today's posts -- you will get more responses.

Good luck!
hi there i had a ectopic pregnancy with my first pregnancy it did not show up to the last day had to send me to hospital when i was in so much pain they removed the tube they say that it can make tests gome back neg then i fell pregnant again witch hes now nearly 9 i had all the symptoms again they still came back no then at 4 months it game back faint i thought i was going mad i have one kidney ovary and fallopion tube and love heart shaped uterus and pcos i think i am pregnant again about 3months i reckon and they are sending me straight to hospital this for a scan they do palating your tummy and they can see if your getting harder as well thats why this time there sending me for a scan you dont need to be a certain age for pcos i was 18 when i got it its a family thing or it can develop on it own i hope this info helps but the syptoms (symptoms) are not all the same as well trust your gut felling and dont give up with the doctors as there not always correct
To answer your question, Yes. I was 5 months pregnant and had a period every month and my urine test was coming up negative in the doctor's office and at home... I was 5 months pregnant before it showed up in my urine... and I was mad because I kept telling them that it was normal for my family for it not to show up in my urine. My mother had a period the hold 9 months that she carried me and here I am 41 and the pregnancy that didn't show up until I was 5 months, well I have have a 20 year old healthy son now...Request for a Blood test...hopefully they won't look at you like you are crazy like they did me. I should have filed a law suite for going 5 month without prenatal care cause I kept telling them to take a blood test. Good luck
it is actually becoming more and more common for UPTs to show false negatives. You can only be so careful, you do NOT want to wait too long to find out the truth. That would only effect your unborn baby, and with out the proper prenatal care premature births are more common. Putting you and your possible unborn child at major risk. Your local health department should be able to do a blood serum test, and it would be confidential.
ok so i have 2 children had normal periods with both of them till i was atleast 5 months along i didnt even show up on pee tests the only way to detect my pregnancys is blood tests so it could be normal  id just go get a blood test
I am supposed to be 7 weeks.. if im preggo and my results aren't showing up either.. but im also certain that im preggo according to all.. i have heard that some dont show positive til about 12 weeks..or some are on their periods throughout pregnancy..
Yes you can be pregnant and not produce the HCG hormone which is what the hpt picks up on. My mother three months pregnant. Negative on urine and blood test. And gave birth. Its not uncommon.