Maternal & Child Community
Healthy Pregnancies with Clotting Disorder?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have lost 3 pregnancies in the last 13 months and found out last weekend that I am expecting again! YAY!
After my last m/c I was diagnosed as having a clotting disorder as a result of having 2 defective MTHFR genes.  I have read on this site that this is fairly common as far as clotting disorders go, and not as bad as most.  I have been on treatment for 3 months (Extrememly high, prescribed doses of Folic Acid  - which helps control the disorder - and a daily 81 mg childrens asprin).  
So far, so good - I had hcg test done on the 10th which came back at 947 and on the 12th it was 2,600.  No spotting or cramping, just a sore back and some sleepiness. And I have an ultrasound scheduled for this Friday when I s/b 6 weeks.  I am hoping some of you might have stories of yourselves or others having successfull, healthy pregnancies despite having this or a similar clotting disorder/situation???  Thanks for helping me stay calm/positive til Friday!
I have a different clotting disorder called Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome. I had 7 mc before my daughter, but as soon as I got diagnosis and treatment, I had a healthy baby girl.
A good friend of mine suffered through 4 m/cs before being diagnosed with this.  She now has 3 beautiful boys!  I'm not certain what she had to do, I believe she was on a blood thinner of some sort throughout each pregnancy.  She also had to see OBs that worked wiht high risk pregnancies, but obviously everything turned out great.  Now that they know what caused you to m/c I'd bet your odds of having healthy pregnancies are great.
I also have MTHFR gene mutation..diagnosed after 1st pregnancy and miscarriage in december 05.
I have the least problematic if that makes sense to you and was prescribed extra folic acid along w/my prenatal vitamin.  I continued taking my prenatal and the folic acid after the miscarriage and got pregnant again quickly.
I am now 16 wks 3 days and everything has been fine!!
I waited for 2 cycles after miscarriage and boom got pregnant again the first month trying....it has been nerve racking this time because you get worried something bad will happen but I've just tried to relax and so far so good....awaiting my 18-20 week ultrasound to see the sex...
Good Luck to you!!!!!
i too was diagnosed with 2 defective MTHFR genes. I am currently 7 weeks 5 days pregnant. tomorrow i go for my first u/s with the high risk perinatologist. since i was diagnosed after my loss in november, i've been taking 5mg of folic acid. my ob said he would put me on blood thinners, if i wanted. and i do. so my next appointment with him is next monday. he said he'd start in the 8 week range. so next week i will be shooting up. from what i hear, i hear that things go well for people with our problem when it's known and they can be treated. good luck to you.
Thanks so much for your comments and stories! I am definitely hopefull after reading them all.  My doctor has never mentioned herapin, should I be concerned?  That is obviously a step up from my daily childrens asprin?  Thanks again!  Keep me posted and congrats to all the mommies to be (and soon-to be-expecting moms)!!
I have homo MTHFR also.  But have two girls before I even knew I carried this gene.  TTC #3 now, no luck yet, but hoping I will soon.  My Dr. said MTHFR was one of the least serious clotting disorders and only has me on Foltx, (high dosage of Folic and other b's) along with my prenatals.  Best of luck to you and congratulations!
i also have mhftr mutation - i am not pregnant again yet after my second m/c, but just wanted to let you know that from what i've heard all should be okay as long as you continue the aspiring, folic acid, prenatal, and i'm also taking extra vitamin b6 (250 mg). my dr. told me that once i do get pregnant (G-d Willing)he'll give me heparin shots to take - to keep the blood thin. maybe speak to your dr. about this if you're still worried. wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy.
i wouldn't be concerned about the heparin. i just met with my maternal fetal specialist today and he told me that the mthfr is not as serious as others, and affects you more with cardiovascular disease later in life. as long as u take the folic acid and your homocysteine levels are low, then u shouldn't need the heparin. but get your homocysteine levels tested. i was thinking of going on heparin, but my normal ob/gyn, and now the maternal fetal specialist finally explained to me the reason why they wouldn't put one on it. and i feel good about that.
What exactally are "homocysteine" levels? I am not familar with that term?  Thanks for the guidance!
For those with homo MTHFR - are your homocysteine levels high?  Did you have to have genetic couneling also?  I just found out yesterday that I have the homozygost MTHFR mutuation and the endocrynologist I'm seeing since my 2nd m/c told me to go to a genetic counselor.  I'm worried about that since no one here is commenting on that.  I know there is an increased risk of neural tube defects with folate issues, but no clue how high the risk is.  I also found out I'm a carrier of CF gene - dh being tested now too - so don't know if counseling is due to both or just to MTHFR.