Maternal & Child Community
Hearing heartbeat with stethoscope

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hearing heartbeat with stethoscope

Hello and TGIF! I am a member on another site, I-am-pregnant.com and one of the ladies in week 18 said that we can now hear our baby's heartbeat with a stethoscope. Does anyone have one that is in the 18th week that wants to give it a try?? (: I want to go out and buy one so my girls and DH can hear the heartbeat but I thought it would be way too early. I will be 18 weeks over the weekend. Has anyone tried this early? I'm curious...
Pretty hard to do, I would stick with a doppler.
Avatar n tn
I am 24w5d and cant hear it with one. I tried a few days ago. I hear silence.
They have a problem with dopplers for me at times, mostly because of the recovering from surgery.  I would get a doppler if you need, or if you can bring them to the doctors with you.  My eldest came to my 2nd u/s (I've had about 12 so far it seems), and got to see the heartbeat.  My little one just wants to know when she can hear the baby too, maybe if she's off school one of these days I'll bring her too.
Avatar n tn
i'm 40 wks and still cant hear the baby with a stethoscope :p there are some prenatal stethoscopes that are supposed to work better but we've never had luck with it.
Hi!  I am 28 weeks, and actually tried to listen for the hb w a stethoscope twice last week, and couldn't hear anything.  Maybe I just didn't do it correctly though?
Avatar n tn
To hear it, you would need a fetoscope. However, I still think it is too early.