Maternal & Child Community
Heart Murmur

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Heart Murmur

Ok Girls,
I have to vent a little(no a lot). Yesterday I called the pediatrician about my 6 week old's colic. Which has gotten really bad. So I am talking to the nurse and telling her what is going on and she mentions a heart murmur. I had no idea what she was talking about. It seems that when I took her in Sept. 13 the pedi detected a heart murmur that he failed to tell me anything about. I told her that I wanted to speak with the doctor and she said he would call me back. About 15 min. later SHE called me back and said that he had detected a small murmur but was not worried about it and was going to monitor it the next couple of months that it was benign. I was so angry first that he didn't tell me second that I found out from his nurse and third that HE didn't call me back like I had asked. I am still very angry. My newborn book says that any heart murmur before the age of 6 months is serious. Needless to say we have an appt. with another pedi on Monday. Please send some prayers for Abigail.
Has anyone experienced this in their newborn?

Edye
yes, my fourth baby (born 31 weeks) had a murmu.  They did an echocardiogram (u/s of heart) and found it to be a 5 mm ASD (atrial septal defect) but at that measurement it can either get smaller and close or be of no worry or continue to get larger in which they do a surgical procedure (like an angiogram) to go in and close it.  although not to scare you some hospitals may still do the open heart procedure to close it.  they said they would watch it his first year and recheck at 1 years of age.  His closed and was fine.  they found his at 4 months of age. it was not present at birth.  even I have an innocent murmur and it causes no harm to me.
My son had a heart murmur that was detected by our ped at the hospital when he was born. She said it is very common for newborns and probably not a big deal... she sent us to a cardiologist the next week.  After about 1 year his murmur was completely gone.  The doctor just monitored the murmur at every visit.  Try not to worry. You prob should change doctors though.  He should have told you about your baby's murmur the second he heard it.
I am an xray tech. at a small hospital and I get quite a few questions and concerns from patients about what to expect in certain situations and come to find out, their doctors are not informing them of things they need to know. Most of the patients come in not knowing why they are getting an exam or come in wanting to know why their doctor hasn't contacted them about results of the exam.

My point being: It's definitely a good idea to get a second opinion. Especially if you're not getting the information and assistance you need.

As far as the murmur goes, I xray quite a few babies with heart murmur and have yet to hear about a complication with the murmur. And these babies have become regular patients of our department. They come in to check up on their progress and happy to say that every baby and young child that comes in has had no serious problems.

I wish the best for you and your child. Take care. I hope this message sent some comfort.
i have to agree. my youngest 2 kids both have murmurs that were detected right after birth and they are both fine. my oldest also had a heart condition called pda on top of having a heart murmur and last year it cured itself dodging having to have  surgery. my youngest child has one that has aloso pretty much cleared up. however i would be very upset at the actions or non actions of your docotr and would consider finding another one, but that is up to you. good luck and try not to worry a whole lot i am sure she will be fine. you and you child will be in my thoughts and prayers.
my oldest son had a heart murmer detected at birth. it closed on its own by the time he was 18 months- no complications. FYI- my ped didn't tell me about it either... i found out because the pediatric cardiologist came into my room at the hospital to tell me everything was fine with it and it would probably close on its own... i wasn't particularily mad but would have been if everything hadn't been fine and I wasn't told.
Thanks everyone for your input. It is very nice to know that this is not uncommon. I was just very upset to find out about this from his nurse. Completely bombarded me. As I said in my post, we are seeing another pedi Monday morning. I will let everyone know what happens.

Again, thanks for everyone's support.

Edye