Maternal & Child Community
Heart/chest pains, 17wks pregnant advice?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 17 weeks pregnant and just yesterday got these chest pains that feel like when I would have an attack of my heartvalve condition (they're very painful but because I've had it diagnosed, I didn't really worry).  At night however I found I couldn't roll onto my RIGHT side without extremely sharp pain in the area of my heart, sort of a constant crushing pain if I stay in that position. I had to sleep entirely on the left. This is still the case in the a.m. although I haven't had any pain standing up... has anyone had wierd chest pain like this?   I didn't have this with first two.
Any similar events? Advice?
I think that you should call your doctor. Your heart does work more during pregnancy, but if you feel uncomfortable about something then definitely get a professional opinion.

Hope it turns out to nothing.
Call your doctor - OB and cardiologist.  Your body is having in overflow of blood and fluids due to the pregnancy  - especially at 17 weeks.  Your heart of overpumping and you need to keep it healthy.  Let them examine you.  I have a healthy heart and the overflow and jerking of vomiting so often caused my heart to go into an irregular rythem.  I was admitted for 9 days until they were able to come to a decision on how to fix it.  SInce you have a history of heart problems I hightly recommened going to your dr. immediatly.  - my ob when I called him told me to go to the ER.
I found out a few weeks ago that I have a small hole in my heart, but when I asked the doctor if that would be causing the chest pain that sometimes occurs when I lay on my right or left side, he told me no. He said that there were a lot of things that could cause the pain. He told me it could be that the position is causing OTHER organs, muscle, tissues, ribs, etc... to compress, or cause the chest pain.

I would just talk to your dr about it, to be on the safe side, but all I can tell you is that you may have to roll slightly back when you're on your side. That's what I have to do...because if it isn't my chest hurting, it's my stomach that hurts, and if it isn't my stomach, it's my arm falling asleep. I can't stand sleeping on my side! LOL
Thanks. I did schedule an EKG for 2pm. It may be (I hope) just that stuff is pushing up although at 17 weeks I am bigger but not THAT big really. I did have a long ride from Chicago (7hours)yesterday and a very active weekend (plays, conferences, shopping, walking, fine food). It is scary how it doesn't go away though. I am not going to work either although my 'boss' sounds pretty grumpy about that. If only men could get pregnant....
He's got a lot of growing up to do , bossman, with 7 children and a stay-at-home wife. Wait til he finds out I may  bail in the middle of teaching next semester.  Anyway doc said the ekg is fine--it is chest wall pain, meaning things are rubbing and squishing. She pushed my top rib back down into my ribcage too, osteopathically, said it was pulled up by tense muscles.  Odd but it helped my neck pain. Other than that, baby was 148 on doppler, growing like a weed.  Still can't lay on my right side though. THANKS everyone.
Good luck with your EKG.  If your boss is grumpy get a dr. note for the week and make him grumpy-er :)
Glad to hear it's nothing serious!
Hi I'm 15weeks pregnant and I'm having chest pain only when I lay on my left side dont know what causing this I have two children already but never had this problem but I hope it's not nothing serious.Can anyone one help me
Hi I'm 16 weeks pregnant and I seem to be experiencing sharp pains in my belly and a little in my chest also no bleeding though and the midwife and doctors usually say if there's no blood it's not a big worry but because this is my first pregnancy I don't know what to expect and if these pains should even be happening?
Someone help advice?