Maternal & Child Community
Heart murmur and sleeping on tummy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Heart murmur and sleeping on tummy

Hi Ldies,

My pedeatrician has told me that my 10 week old has a slight heart murmur. She has never told me before, though she had heard it before.

I had taken him to another doctor on Monday and he said that everything was ok and did not mention anything wrong with his heart.

I them asked the doctor on monday if I can allow my son to sleep on his tummy and he said yes as he has good neck control, but the one on Friday said not to put him on his tummy.

Now I am all confused. I will be going to a third doctor tomorrow. But I just wanted to know has anybody elses child got a heart murmer and will it get better?

Also how many of you let your babies sleep on their tummies?
since they started telling people not to put their babies to sleep on their bellies in the late 1990's, SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) has decreased over 50%.

enough said.

I am absolutley shocked that a doctor told you it was ok to put him on his belly to sleep. are you sure he didn't misunderstand and think you meant to put him on his belly to play?
My baby will most likely be born with a heart murmer.  They found a small hole in her heart during an ultrasound in the 32nd week.  There is a chance it will close before she is born, but if not, they will hear a slight murmer when she is born.  

My midwife, doctor, pediatrician and pedatric cardiologist all have said that the chances are very very high that she wont be affected by it at all and that it will close within the first year.

My brother was born with one too but it closed by the time he was 2 months old.
My daughter was born with a small ventricular septal deffect, or heart murmur. It is 2 mm big and has not affected her at all. the dr's will monitor it closely, and it will be scary at first. But things will work out!
Many children are diagnosed with the murmur but most of them grow out of it eventually so i wouldn't really worry about the murmur.  

I would not worry about putting baby on the tummy FOR NAPS when you're available to check on the baby ever so often.  As for putting the baby on tummy for the night, I wouldn't.  DD hated to sleep on her tummy until she was about 6-7 mos.  
My daughter's VSD is measuring 1.3mm.  Her due date is in 39 days :)  

Out of curiosity - how often do you take your daughter for the doctor to monitor her VSD?  How old is she now?
hi, my doctor discovered my babys heart murmur at the 6week check up, i was shocked. they then referred me back to the maternity hospital where i gave birth to her and then i was told she had a small vsd. they referred me then to the childrens hospital last tuesday where they then told me she has a 6mm vsd and theres a 50/50 chance she may need surgery when shes about 8or9 months, its pretty scary hearing that as i wasnt excpecting him to say that, he said if the hole doesnt close in the next three months then they will consider doing surgery so im assuming its serioius, but Ava is fine there is no indication she has a heart problem.. hope everything goes well with your baby xx