Heartbeat/Fetal
ni
Quick Question,

I am currently going on my 14th week.  When I went for my 10th weeks checkup, we had the chance to listen to the heartbeat. The doppler was reading 188 BPM.  Is this a very high heart rate?  I actually saw it reading between 177 and 188.  Just wondering if this this a normal reading.  Thanks,

Gina
Hi Nina I read somewhere that the normal range for the babies heartbeat is 120-180 so I would say you are fine.  If your doctor did not seem concerned about those readings I would say it is ok.  Hope this helps to put your mind at ease.  Good Luck
I found following on the net - sounds like you are in the right ballpark, but your OB should confirm.

Fetal Heartbeat
by Cynthia Flynn, CNM, Ph.D.

Q.I am 16 weeks along, and at my previous check-up (when I was 12 weeks) the fetal heartbeat was heard for the first time and was documented at 168 beats. At this past check-up 4 days ago the heartbeat was 150 beats. What could be the cause of this?

A. The reason the heartbeat is lower is that you have a normal baby. The heartbeat is usually pretty fast when the baby is small and slows down when it gets bigger. You will all notice variations in the heartbeat rate depending on whether the baby is active (fast) or sleeping (slow) when the rate is taken.