Maternal & Child Community
Heat rash or chicken pox?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Heat rash or chicken pox?

I can't seem to figure this one out! Jeremiah is cutting another tooth so for the past 2 weeks his gums have been swollen and finally I see a tooth breaking through. He also has had a slight fever probably every other day. He usually gets a fever when cutting teeth. Anyway, today he was outside playing, got dirty, then I showered him and dressed him. Didn't do anything different. I did just change his soap from Johnson's Head to Toe wash to California Baby 2 days ago (it's all natural and suppose to be better) He took a nap, and when he woke up he was VERY warm again. Well we were out and my husband saw these little red bumps (but when you run your hand across them, they are not really raised that much). He has broken out a couple of times almost like this (I think it was not quite 2 weeks ago it happened) but not nearly as bad. It's all over his belly, back, underarms a little on his face, and neck, and even in his private area and inner thighs. It's not on his legs or arms really. In his private area, some spots are a little blotchy and the one area on the side of his face. My husband thinks it's the chicken pox...but how do you know for sure? Could it just be some sort of rash? I'm not sure how to tell the difference. He honestly has been acting normal, not really cranky or fussy or showing signs of discomfort. I tried taking a picture of it, but it won't show up on the camera. What do you ladies think? If it lasts for a couple more days I will probably go to the doc to get it checked out, but since he is acting normal and not in any pain, I will just keep an eye on it.
Thanks!!!
well if you are worried you should see the dr.. to me personally it doesnt sound like chicken pox but it could be something else.. could be a heat rash or fifth disease or measles or scarlet fever etc..i don't know just throwing ideas as to what rashes tend to be.. see chicken pox usually are more lifted and shouldnt look so much like a rash...

Depending on hwo high his fever is too that could have caused the rash...it's happened a few times to cam.. good luck girl...which tooth is his piercing?
Yea I am almost certain after looking at it again that it's not chicken pox. I remember when I had them...completely different from what he has. There are some areas that are raised and not red and other areas that are red and not really raised. It's so confusing. This is all I can come up with....1) I put a shirt on him a few days ago that was brand new but didn't wash it and I usually wash everything before he wears it. 2) I tried the new "better" soap for him. 3) He was outside playing yesterday in the dirt and was around weeds (I was weeding at the time) and I wonder if he had a reaction to something outside...but he's been out there before playing. Other than that, I haven't changed his diet in any way. I am stumped on this one. I am going to cut out the new soap and see if it changes. Do you think teething can give you a rash?? I think one of his canine's are coming through. Either that or a molar on the top...it's hard to tell at this point. It's ALMOST broken through..I can only see one white spot right now. His fever broke and it wasn't too high.
I just took my 15m to the dr for what sounds to be about the same thing.. She said it was just a prickly heat rash and suggested some rash cream..  I hope this helps alittle
Well it could be a heat rash, a rash from the fever, or an allergic reaction if he's been in the grass. There are differences between a rash and chicken pox but no one would really be able to tell without seeing it. My son always gets rashes from fever or heat or allergies, just about anything and I always end up taking him to be looked out just to be sure it's nothing bad and that's really not a bad idea to just take him in to the doctor. Just wondering though....did he have his chicken pox shot??? I'm not sure when kids get the shot but if he's had the shot then it probably isn't chicken pox. You still might want to have him checked out to see what exactly it is from though.
I checked him again tonight and whatever was on his thighs and private area is completely gone but it's still all over his belly and back. My MIL said it looked like a heat rash. I tried to take a picture again but for some reason it won't come out. I'm sure it would help if you all could see it.

megmil....we actually don't vaccinate (personal reasons) but if we did, I still don't think I would have him get the chicken pox vaccine...never even knew there was one actually. If it gets worse in any way I will call my doc asap. But if what he has now hasn't cleared by monday, I will definitely take him in to get checked out.

Thanks ladies for your help!
Just letting you know that Jeremiah's rash cleared up completely by sunday morning! I was so thankful. I stopped using that soap and I will try it again in a couple of days and if he gets the rash again I will know it's the soap. If not, then I guess it was just a heat rash. It was so weird though. He's never had a rash for that long before.