Maternal & Child Community
Heavy First Period after Miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Heavy First Period after Miscarriage

I was 11 weeks preg when I had a miscarriage at the beginning of Feb. They found out that I was expecting twins (no heart beat).  A DC was performed on 10th Feb and I started my period on 6th March (yesterday).  I am bleeding heavily (tiny clots) one pad lasts two hours and I am experiencing small cramping pains, is this normal?  It feels like I am miscarrying all over again and I am finding it really disturbing!

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is normal for the first period after a miscarriage to be heavier that usual. If you start soaking more than a pad an hour, or have lightheadness, dizziness, or faintness, go to the doctor or ER. Take care, hope things start to lighten up soon. The first period is hard, it reminds you of the miscarriage. Take care. (((Hugs))) ~Kristen
My sis in law is still having really heavy periods since giving birth to a 12 week fetus at 14 weeks in November.  She is getting some blood work done to see if anything is wrong.  I really don't know what they are looking for but I hear that it is very common to have really heavy periods after a m/c.  I am very sorry for your loss.  I have had two m/c and still bleeding from my second three weeks ago.  It's all so very sad and unfair.  (((((HUGS)))))) to you.

steph
I am glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem.  I was 14 weeks pregnant and had a miscarriage in December of 2003.  My first period lasted about one day and it was gone.  However, the second one, which I am having now, has lasted a lot longer.  I went 5 days and stopped, and now I have started back again.  I have never bled this much in my life.  After seeing that I'm not the only one now, I feel much better. :)
I went to the Doctors and he said that it is fairly normal to bleed heavily on your first period because the uterus is getting back to normal.  Now I know why they tell you to wait until after your first period before you try to conceive again!
I have two beautiful sons ages 9yrs and 1 yr. We found out we were pregnant with #3 in May and at 9 weeks the ultra sound showed the fetus had stopped growing at about 5-6 weeks. I choose to use Cytotec and miscarried. It's been about a month and I got my period a week ago. The first few days it was light. Now on day 6 it is really heavy. I feel like I have been bleeding for a month and feel so drained. I'm cranky and very short with my husband to the point where we are barely speaking because I have been so "mean" as he says. Is this normal? Is or was anyone else like this. I'm totally okay with the miscarriage. I know there was just something wrong and that it's normal. So is it just my hormones? My husband and I rarely fight let alone not speak. We've always communicated very well. He says he wants his wife back. I don't think I'm being THAT different. Tonight is our anniversary and I don't even feel like going to dinner now. Please someone tell me this is normal and will pass.
I don't know it is normal but my husband says I have been mean and I have an attitude all the time so I think its normal or hormones are raging and or body is trying to regulate us which makes us short tempered.It will eventually get better.I miscarried at 6 weeks 7/28 and I just stopped bleeding two days ago THANK GOD. Looking forward to my period so we can try again that was my first pregnancy. Praying for a healthy one next time around.
I had a miscarriage on 7/18/07.  The bleeding was really heavy and  I  was 11 weeks pregnant.  I just had my first period this weekend 8/24/07.  The bleeding started off light and got heavier but has now stopped.  This is weird to feel so hormonal and not have more than two 1/2 days of bleeding. I was feeling so hormonal I almost thought I was pregnant again, a little disappointing not to be. Seeing the blood has definitely been depressing. I just hope this feeling of loss will pass so that we can move on to happier days... and with more babies.  Sorry for all of your sadness and loss...
I miscarried this Sept. and it was very hard on me,this website helped alot,it answered alot of questions and fears i had,i had alot of help from family and friends but i know sometimes that isn't enough,so if ANYONE out there needs someone to talk to i would love to talk with anyone that needs it, e-mail me at Ozzy_lover_20***@**** i hope anyone out there that just needs someone to talk to feels free to e-mail me. Thank you...that is Yahoo..and .com^^ thanks agian.
Wow I'm glad to find this post I was thinking the same thing,  I had a MC Aug. 27 and D&C Sept 5th and just started my first period this week and it's very very heavy and I'm having clots like crazy....and the pains just like My MC with my first MC my next period was normal  but this is very different I had myself convinced I was having another MC.  But maybe its b/c I had the D&C this time and not with my first MC.
Hi Ozzygirl,

I'd like to email you but your email address got blanked out. Try typing it out in words like for eg. charliegirl at rogers dot com. This isn't my eail, just an example.

I miscarried in Sept too. Hope to chat soon.
Hello I had my MC April 15th.
It was really hard for me but God has a plan for me.
I pray that everyone look towards the sky because he will give us a
brighter day.  And this is my 3rd day for my period and it is heavy & cramps or horrible. Be blessed....... (((((hugs))))
This post is heaven sent.  I am dealing with the same thing.  I miscarried at 8 weeks; 6 weeks ago our first pregnancy.  My period is really kicking my ***.  I feel like it is the miscarriage all over again, clots, pain, extremely heavy flow. This first period almost feels like closure for us.  The waiting truly is the hardest part.  I feel all your pain, and send all my love and good thoughts for strong recovery.  Bless you all!
Heavy first period after miscarriage.
July 17, 2008
You have all made a valuable contribution to me.  I miscarried at approximately 3 and a half months and 5 weeks after i am having my first period.  It was accompanied by a lot of cramps, heavy bleeding and clots.  I thought i had miscarried again.  I am on day 4 and the bleeding has lessen.  Thank Jesus for this.   I had gotten a bit worried that we had unprotected sex so soon after my miscarriage.  My husband and i have now decided to wait another period  before we try again. I am excited to be pregnant but it will be worth the wait than to try before  my womb is completely heal.  For those who have miscarried i understand your excitement to be pregnant again and you may not even want to wait after your first or second period but i think it will be worth it all.  In the mean time take care of yourself, exercise and prepare yourself for your pregnancy which will be soon in Jesus Name, because you know how it is when we get pregnant we may gain some weight so my thing is loose some weight now so when you gain the pregnancy weight you will still be in shape.  So there is a lot we can do in our waiting time.

From: Shel81
had a miscarriage..it was my first..and im young only 22yrs.old..how do i get through this...started my first period and it so heavy it scares me seenin all tht blood ..its it normal...so confused dont know wut to think anymore...
I had a mc on August 7 at 6.5 weeks. I was very depressed and every one would tell me it was for the best. But no one truely understood. I'm now going through my first period but I am having lots of blood clogs, heavy cramps, and heavy bleeding. Never in my life has a period been so hard. I wanted to try again for a baby because this all was so unexpected. I have read online about people getting pregnant right away and hoped to be one. But now I truely understand why doctors tell you to wait at least 3 months. If matters could worsen about 2 weeks ago my doctors ob-gyn office called and said my pap was abnormal and that I need to get a colposcopy done. I an so confused and frigthen because I have been looking on line and get a lot of different information and am extremly worried. I know the lord always gives you what you can handle but right now I feel as if my life is giving to many turns. Has this ever happend to any else? Is this normal i am so confused and devistated....
Hi, I suffered a missed miscarriage on 1st August at 8.5 weeks.  Lost loads of blood on 08/08 and had to stay in hospital overnight on IVs for fluids.  also been on iron tablets since.  After seeing so much blood thought it was all over after bleeding stopped and wasn't too worried about my 1st period.  How wrong was I!!?  had my period since last sunday.  at 1st it was light, but now really heavy and having bad memories of what happened a month ago.  I am gonna cross my fingers that this episode will be over soon and my body can get back to normal.  i will keep my fingers crossed for you to.  Also good luck with the colposcopy.  Apparently a lot of smear results come back abnormal, but doesn't mean anything serious. XX
I just went through the same thing as you did Sept. 1. Had a natural mc and ended up losing 2 pints in 2 hours and stayed in the hospital over night and on the iron tablets.  Yesterday I started cramping and bleeding a bit heavier(I have been off and on bleeding since) and today it's terrible cramping and saw a few small clots.. how do you know if its a period? or just your body getting back to normal?
i had a medical management at 12 weeks baby had stopped growing at 9 weeks its now 4 weeks later and i have my first period very heavy with clots feel tied and have been bleeding for 8 days now when usually my period lasts 7 days maximum is this normal how many days should i be expected to bleed for xx
and i just want to say to all sorry for ur losses and hope all is blessed soon xx
I had a misscariage 9/24 at 11wks had D&E 9/25. First cycle started 10/23 was light then stopped completely for one day now I am bleeding more than I ever have! I didnt even bleed this much after having my daughter over 3 years ago! clotting cramping...is this normal??
I had a miscarriage in june and doctor told me to stay at home. I went through 9 hours of labor.  I was about 12 wks.  I have 2 other children and labor was just as bad with miscarriage. I have had very heavy periods since tampon lasts about 30 minutes.  Is this normal anyone?
I had a miscarriage on October 3rd.  I woke up in a pool of blood...like something out of a movie.  I was 10 weeks, but it seems the baby stopped developing around 4 or 5 weeks.  I had a transvaginal ultrasound that showed my uterus at near pre-pregnancy size which meant the baby just never really grew. I went home to have the miscarriage naturally.

The clots I passed during the m/c were unbelievable, never seen anything like it.  I bled for 16 days...thought it would never end.  I have 6 beautiful daughters.  I'm 36, and this is my first miscarriage in 9 years of pregnancies; so surreal.  I've never had any problems getting and staying pregnant.

Last night, I'm sitting at my desk and there is a HUGE gush of blood; totally caught me off guard.  I didn't expect to experience a period for another couple of weeks (and, to be honest, I was hoping I would just get pregnant again).  I've been bleeding like I'm having another miscarriage since last night...huge clots; tons of blood.  It's so debilitating both physically and emotionally.

It was such a relief to find all these posts.  Going through a miscarriage is a sad, lonely event, so to find others experiencing similar symptoms provides a small amount of comfort (though that in itself is also sad stuff :().

I don't know why God allows miscarriage...we can't wrap our minds around everything.  But I know He always has my best interests at heart, so there is reason even if I can't know it.  I hope all of you heal well and find some peace in these crummy times.

hi all firstly so sorry for the hurt you are all going through, iv had 3 m/c,3rd one mid september 08  after discovering at my scan the babys heart beat had stopped at 8 weeks  and was sent  home for a natural m/c ,it was a nightmare ,unfortunatly i am still experiencing problems with infections and heavy bleeding. however on a happier note , after both of my previous m/c {one in 1990 and one 2005}  i went on to have normal pregnancies and births and  have a 15 year old daughter and a 2 year old son { yes a 13 year age gap,must be crackers he he! }  so please please dont think for one minute a m/c means you wont ever be able go on to have a normal pregnancy that will result in the most unbelievable experience you could ever have in life , because there is a very good chance you will in no time at all,i was pregnant with my son 6 months after my second m/c and we were not even trying. chin up all keep smiling and never give up hope !  
                                take care juliewoo xx
Hi, Im 24, was pregnant with my first, at 11 weeks on jan 3rd 2009 i begun to have some spotting, my fiance phoned the hospital to ask advice, they told me to rest and call the 24hour helpline if my bleeding got heavier, and nothing they could do for me as it was light and i had no pain...but i knew there was somthing wrong. on jan 4th i started to pass some tiny clots, so we went to hospital, they made me take a urine test to confirm i was still pregnant, they said i was, then sent me for a scan, and i was told that the scanner they had in that department was not great, so thier findings where 'inconclusive'. I could see the screen and i could see a tiny sack of fluid myself but no baby :( the next day they asked me to go to hospital for an 'antiD' injection, so i did. That night jan 5th i bleed heavily and had severe cramps as i miscarried. Next day i went to hospital for another scan, they then confirmed I had lost it.
They then told us they could see 1 sack inside the other sack, leading them to believe i was carrying twins, and thier were abnormalaties which caused my body to miscarry them.
I bleed heavy for 2 weeks, with a lot of big clots. Worse time of my life.

Now 2 weeks after my bleeding stopped, it started again, is just like my miscarriage, what a nightmare. Im so glad iv found this page, as i felt so alone, my fiance is great, but he doesnt really understand what its like to see the blood all over again.

I am still mourning the loss of our baby, and i still have old friends sending messages online congratulating us on the pregnancy, it hurts, but i know it will get better.

Our doctor told us we could start trying again when i feel ok. He said my body will let me know :)

(((HUGS))) to all
I just had a baby boy about 2 1/2 months ago and i just got my first period since then and its really heavy. like soaking a super tampon and a pad in 3 hours. I dont know if something is wrong but its been like this for 2 days and im starting to think i may have miscarried. Is there a way to know? what do u think of it?
my email is ***@****
i am going through the same thing right now. i am 21 and i have been married to a wonderful husband :) for 1 year and 3 months. i have experianced 2 miacarriages already. one was at 6 weeks and it was like a period...but the second i was 14 weeks and 5 days pregnant when i started to spot so we went to the doctor and found out i have a blighted ovum...and also that i have a abnormal uterus that is heart shaped instead of pear shaped. that was very devestating to hear.
i miscarried naturally and it was pretty terrible...sometimes i remember the pain and i get so scared to get pregnant again.
now i am having my first period after miscarriage and it is HEAVYYY and also with clots(but i always had clots.)
it is so comforting to read these comments and knowing that im not alone and that these heavy 1st periods are normal because i was a little worried.
i know this is very hard to believe but God has a plan for all of us and he wants the best for us. i dont know why these things happen but i trust Him and i put my life in His hands.
i know He was with me during my miscarriage...i prayed that it wont be long and it was about an hour long.... i prayed that i would not be able to handle to loose a real baby...and i had a blighted ovum...i prayed that i wont have any infections and i dont....i prayed that my period will come fast and it did.... i know he cares so much for us and he is very gentle and loving. to all of you ladies who lost little angels....put your life in Gods hands and you will find comfort in Him and only Him. " Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11: 29,30
God Bless you
if anyone wants to talk sometimes email me at ***@****
I found out on March 10th, at 13 weeks, that the baby had stopped developing after about 7 weeks. I hadn't miscarried yet but the baby wasn't alive. I had a D&C on March 12th, and bled for 2 1/2 weeks after the D&C. Then 4 weeks after the D&C, I got my first period (still have it) and it is SO HEAVY. The first couple of days it was so light that I wasn't sure it was a period, and then all of a sudden the flood gates opened. I go through a super tampon in about 1 1/2-2 hours. It gets a little lighter later in the day, then the next morning it is heavy again. I was considering trying to get pregnant again after this period, against my doc's advice, but now I see that my body needs to continue to heal first.

Thanks to you all for the comments...it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one experiencing these weird physical changes! I am so sorry for all of your losses. We may never know why our babies didn't survive, but we can know that God will take care of us. "'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" -Jeremiah 29:11
From what I have read from the posts, it sounds rather normal to have a heavy period.  I had a miscarriage on April 23, 2009, naturally.  I had a period in June but it was rather light.  I just got my period again and like you said it has been as if I am miscarrying all over again.  A tampon was only lasting every 2 hours if that.  I probably soaked through my clothes two days in a row because it was just so heavy.  You are definitely right, it is disturbing.  
I was at 15 weeks and 4 days when I miscarried, just started my first period last week (aprox. 4 weeks after the M/C) and it is still going. Its been over one week of heavy bleeding, I don't know if that is normal. It seems like everyone else here only had heavy bleeding for a few days.
Thank you for this site and your question, 6 years ago!
I've been googling and searching on the internet (the doctor's office is closed), trying to find out if what i'm experiencing is "normal", and this is the only site that has given me any relief. where are the books when you need them? how about "what to expect when you're done expecting"
Nobody told me there would be this much blood, this much clotting. Nobody said it would resemble the miscarriage, they all said "heavy period." Heavy? Understatement. This is ridiculous. I feel like i can't leave the toilet for more than 1 hour, i'm wearing an Instead and a Super Heavy Duty overnight Pad, and i've still managed to leak thru to my underwear. Nobody told me it would be like this. Nothing i read said it would be this bad.
Why is there not enough literature out there???
Thank you to all for sharing your experiences. I still feel awful about what's happening to me, and what's happened to us as a group, but at least now i feel "normal"
Hi there

I agree that this forum is heaven sent. My husband and I found out that I was pregant in Jan after three years of trying. However, our happiness was short lived for I miscarried at 7 weeks. To cut a long story short, I had very heavy bleeding, was going through one pad an hour easily then it stopped all of a sudden. 8 days later I started spotting again and it never quite stopped until yesterday when it became heavier. I'm inclined to think this is my period. I really don't know what to think anymore-It feels like I've been bleeding forever! And it is just like the miscarriage. Clots, super heavy bleeding - going through a pad every 1.5-2 hours. The docs dont really prepare you for this kind of bleeding. Mine said 'slightly heavier than your period'. Thank you to everyone who's posted their experiences.
It's such a relief reading this all these comments, because like everyone else here, l wanted to find out if what l was experiencing was normal...and it seems so!  Thanks everyone!  

I found out at 12 weeks that my baby stopped developing at 6 weeks, and then had a DC, which was about 5 weeks ago.  l'm now having my first period which is really heavy...Today's the 4th day, and normally my period would be easing off, but instead, l'm having my heaviest bleeding since it started.  Thanks you all for your posts, l feel sooooo relieved that this is normal.....All will be well one day, lets keep our hopes up
It was a relief to find this forum! I appreciate everyone who has posted about their experiences on here :) I found out I was pregnant during my 7th week in the beginning of march and a week later miscarried at 8 weeks. I mc naturally, had very heavy bleeding, etc. This was my first pregnancy so I didn't know what to expect and the doctors just told me "it will be slightly heavier than your normal period". Well I have very light periods, if any at all so the doctors advice did not even slightly prepare me for such a horrible process. I am now having my first period (its been a month since mc) and the first day was light, ever since it has been really heavy and I have blood clots, just like when I mc. It is disturbing to feel the same pain and have the same type of bleeding because the mc was devastating to me, as it is to everyone here.
It is good to know that many other people are experiencing the same thing as I am.
My love goes out to everyone here, I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, even if they are as devastating as a mc, and sometimes you may never learn for what reason.
*hugs* and thank you all
DH and i had been TTC for 7 long months. a day before my period i got a + HPT went out and bought 2 more, both positive, next day bought two more both positive, the next day didnt take any but made an DR appt. the next day, day 4 of knowing im pregnant the Dr did bloodwork and told me i was in fact pregnant and coming up on 5 weeks. the very next day, i went to the ER for bleeding and cramping and was told my HcG levels had dropped significantly and that i was passing tissue believed to be the end of my pregnancy. I dont know how to deal with this. I had the happiness of knowing i was pregnant for 4 days only to have my heart crushed. i dont think i have ever hurt this bad before in my life. Today, now 2 days after beign told i miscarried i started bleeding with clots again though its subsided alot. do i consider this my period? when do i know wheni will ovulate again? my dh and i just want a baby and cant imagine how something this horrible can happen to couples and get through it. we just dont know.
I'm sorry for your loss.  My husband and I TTC for 10  months before this pregnancy.  This is our first pregnancy.  I'm currently miscarrying.  I've been waiting to miscarry for two weeks (knowing the entire time that our baby is dead).  I was only about 4-5 weeks when the baby died, but it took us several weeks after that to figure it out.  My flow is lighter than a period, but the pain is definitely worse.  I've always had heavy and very painful periods and it's weird that the flow is lighter but the pain is so much worse.  I keep wondering if this is it or if the hemorrhaging I've heard described will happen.  I wish I knew as I don't do well with waiting!

While I know it's hard to wait, my doctor specifically told me to wait until I'd had three periods before trying again.  She said that our bodies need time to heal and that if I did get pregnant again before it had fully healed, then it would increase my risk of miscarrying again.  She also said that if my uterus had a rough spot (such as the spot where the baby attached) that a new pregnancy would be most likely to attach to it, rather than the smooth uterine walls.  So, if that rough spot caused a problem with the fetus (such as cutting off it's ability to get nutrients), then it'll cause it again with the next, unless I allow my body to fully heal before trying again.  

Do I want to wait - nope.  We're both in our 30's and were so ready and excited for our baby.  In the month we knew we were pregnant (before we learned our baby died), we'd been planning so many things.  I'd forced myself to hold off before buying any baby items (and it was hard), and now I'm really glad I did.  That would make it worse.  We've been completely devastated by this loss.  Completely and utterly devastated.  But, time is helping.  So, I encourage you to give yourself the time to heal and to fully grieve.  You need some time free of the pregnancy hormones to fully heal and grieve.  And then you can prepare for the next baby!
My boyfriend and I were ttc for a year before I got pregnant and miscarried at 6 weeks 3 days. I never realized how much something like this could hurt emotionally. I miscarried April 30, 2010 stopped bleeding May 17th, 2010 then began what I would assume is my period June 2, 2010 however it was very, very light spotting for 3 days then stopped for about 2 or 3 days and then I spotted again for a day then stopped for 2 or 3 then spotted again for a day it stopped then I started bleeding again heavy around June 16, 2010. I have no clue but I have been bleeding for almost 3 weeks something seems very off to me but my doctor said when I did my blood work about a month ago it was normal and that this is normal....it doesn’t seem that way though.
I really enny all of you out there who knows exactly how old your precious baby was before saying goodbye. In my case, I had not the slightest idea how old mine was before I m/c. I did not even know of the pregnancy in the first place! I did not had any noticable pregnancy symptoms, plus my period did not stop at all (or what appears to be exactly like my period). No way i could suspect I was pregnant. Here's the process at the time leading to the m/c:
9 Mar 2010 - normal period
9 Apr 2010 - super light period. Home preg kit showed negative.
16 May 2010 - delayed but appeared to be normal period
29 May 2010 - heavy bleeding (more than normal period) and severe cramps and backache=> This is when I suspected a m/c.
31 May - blood test confirmed pregnant. HCG level = 96. After that gynae put me on 'wait and see' approach. Meanwhile spotting.
11 Jun - D&C
My gynae could not tell me how old the baby was because 'my periods are irregular'. I have no idea at which point I was pregnant, and when it was terminated because there was so much bleeding going on. Can all you experienced sisters out there give me some light?
Also, before this whole episode, I was not the type who wants to have a baby. However I was absolutely shattered to know of the m/c. Now I find myself really wishing to have a baby! I don't know if this is indeed a life-changing event, or its just hormones speaking.
I just miscarried 3 days ago I was 7 weeks pregnant... All ur hormones are still working overtime from what my ob told me... Don't mean to be so graphic but I passed (the baby) in the toilet

;( and now am bleeding more than usual if anyone is feeling dizzy light headed then its best to go to the er as something could be wrong... sorry to all the mommies who have lost their angels ....
Wow, this page has helped me so much. I really feel like there is a hidden world of women who go through this every day but have no body to talk to with. I've found this site the best to learn from as well as heal with because a big part of healing is realizing you arent the only one this has happened to.

I had my 2nd sonogram 7JUL, the heartbeat had stopped, had a suction D&C on 9JUL and just started my period for the first time since, and it was 5AUG.

After the D&C I spotted off and on for 2 weeks, now Im just bleeding like a stuck pig. Its really gross, but I am just using pads, whereas Im used to just using tampons. Im not used to seeing all of this blood. iiiiick.

So, I think today (2nd day into the period) I am going to attempt to use a tampon, because these damn pads..SUCK. haha

if anyone needs anything please please let me know. I am 21 by the way.
Hi everyone. I have a question i'm 21 yrs old and i've never had a m/c.. but all the symptons everyone is describing i am experiencing. The super heavy bleeding with a few small clots here and there, alot of cramping, and sharp lower back pain that comes and goes. I dont know what it is but i already scheduled a doc appt but they didnt have anything open until the 17th, and ive been on my period since 8/29. my period normally lasts about 4 days but it never gets heavy. i also had bad stomach pain for 3 days a week before my period came, i couldnt get out of bed i had to be in fetal position most of the time and i have a 1 yr old... so can anyone help me out with this?
i forgot to add on my other posting, ive been really moody n sensitive with anything my fiance says to me. and he says i give him attitude and i admit yes i do but not all the time and i want to be in my room all day and do nothing. but anyways, have a good one and i hope to hear from someone soon.

-Eve
hiaa im 16 and i had a miscarriage on 23rd august and it ruined me :( ....im only now having my first period after the m/c and it is really heavy with alot of clots and pain... i really do feel like its happenin all over again buh i no its not.... i just  hope all of yhu women can stay strong like i have and yhu can move on with life :) ((((hugs))))
I had a natural m/c at 6 weeks in late August, and I ovulated only 2 weeks afterward. I was so excited that we could try again so quickly, and I really thought we had gotten pregnant again (showing lots of preg symptoms). But at day 33 after miscarriage (yesterday), I was hit with very strong cramps and heavy bleeding with clots. Not as bad as the miscarriage, but WAY worse than a normal period. It made me think I was very early pregnant and having another miscarriage, but I am thankful to read on here that this is pretty normal. It would make me so scared to think that I will just keep having miscarriage after miscarriage. I am thankful I didn't have to wait 8 weeks for my first period (only 4.5 weeks). We'll try again as soon as it's time.... I was hoping to be one of those great examples of a pregnancy right away, but it's not happening for me.
this is my first period after my d and c and im in so much pain and its so heavy i feel like im having a mc again i feel like i cant do this. but as my husband said i have to keep strong so i well. i just hope it don't last to long xoxox
ok i thought i was having my first period after my d and c, its been 6 weeks now. i had sex but the comdom spilt and on that day i thought i got my period but finished the next day so i dont no what is going on ahhhhhh :( xxxx
I had a m/c on 17th dec 2010 after 7 weeks. I had spotted for almost 2 weeks and on week 6 I had a scan and they said no heartbeat was detected but this was v normal at this size/time in the preg. This was on the Monday and by the Friday 17th I was having the full blown m/c. This lasted almost 2 weeks and was mentally and physically debilitating.This is a different question for you, I suffered for a yr with severe headaches which may have been migraine, cluster, call them wot u will, Doctors had no real cure nor explanation other than than they may be linked to my cycle. Whilst Pregnant They completely disappeared. Its now the 18th Jan and I have had a return of the headache, mildly last Thur to severe enough yesterday and today. Has anyone been prescribed any oestrogen substitute to help with menstrual h/ache as I am now convinced its due to the fall in the levels pre menstruation. I have been in hell with these for the last year - no Doctor has suggested this substitute to me. There are days life is hard to live at he thought of this suffering again. Losing the baby was more devastating than I think I was prepared for and Im not looking forward to the painful 1st period either..coupled with the headaches return its not a pretty future for me ;o(
I was 8 weeks pregnant and I found out  two days before I m/c. I was bleeding so heavily I ended up in hospital. They let me go home to continue naturally, one week later I ended up back in hospital with the same bleeding problem. They gave me a D&C and the next day I was sent home. It has been 22 days now and I have started bleeding heavily, i am guessing this is my period and I am passing clots. I am just hoping that I am going to be ok. Being in hospital makes it all the worse, especially seen as I don't know what they are going to be able to do if the bleeding starts to heavily again. I have got an appointment at the doctors at the end of the month to have the injection to stop my periods. I am not looking at getting pregnant anytime soon due to the experience I have gone through this time!! Does anyone else feel like this?
I went to my first OB appointment at 10 weeks on February 10th and found out from my ultrasound that I had an empty gestational sac - nothing there .. the most heart wrenching picture on the monitor... although I had the bloat, painful breast and symptoms of a pregnancy, I had experienced a blighted ovum. I went home and the next day began miscarrying. I was told I would experience cramping - what I experienced was more than cramping but almost like strong cramping/contractions for 5 miserable hours with heavy bleeding and clotting. I continued to bleed/spot until March 10th. After 3 blood tests, my HCG levels were finally negative. Finally, I the spotting stopped until March 13th - 3 days later I started my period - heavy, fullness and cramping, passing large clots - definitely feels like a m/c or one that will never end. I never have felt so betrayed by my body. I am tired, and worn out and really want this to end. I want to move on... I hope this period doesn't last forever. I am in my mid 30's we have been trying for 2 years - this was our first pregnancy, it feels like time is just wasting away while my body slowly gets back to normal - if there is such a thing.
Ok I also had a m/c on feb 24th, I'm still really sad, I have a 6yrs old boy and he is also sad. I just have my first period after 31 days and is really heavy and painfull.. I want too try to get pregnant again soon, but now with all this I really dont know when I'm ovulating, I'm so tired to wait, I really want a baby ;0(
Thank you to everyone who posted their stories- it really does help to know other people have gone through this and I will pull through.

I miscarriaged at 10 weeks and found out the baby stopped growing at 8. I spotted and became obsessed with passing the baby- (I was given the option to let things happen naturally). It became a trip to the bathroom every 10 minutes to look, for days. I do believe I saw what I was looking for and it really did make me feel like I could rest, knowing that things had happened for real.

My HCG levels did not drop for 11 weeks, during which I waited for a period. Once it started, it lasted for over 2 weeks. It was very painful and felt worse than the miscarriage, cramping and clots like crazy. I felt crazy with the hormones and my husband also told me more than once that I was "mean". I felt out of control and felt so alone. I realized that this is not something anyone feels comfortable talking about. This blog/page really helped- just to feel connected to others who know what it's like...

One day I passed a large mass of tissue, large as in half the size of my fist. My period stopped and that was it. I have no idea what to expect with my next period or when to even expect it. Just waiting and hoping it doesn't come.

I can say, this whole experience does make me appreciate my two-year old son even more. I am lucky to have him, he saved me when I was at my lowest point.

I wish all of you strength-
hi i also had a miscarriage at 7 weeks,was heartbreaking!!really feel for you all.i am now having my first period and it is alot heavier than normal with clots.i know that there was nothing left inside as i had a scan to check so im guessing it is normal.if anyone wants to chat add me on facebook.my name is debbie bonazen.sending lots of love to you allx
I had anembryonic pregnancy (blighted ovum), had d&c at 13 weeks, bled for 2 days, then it stopped for 2 days, started to bleed lightly then, which quickly turned to brown spotting and lasted 9 days, then it stopped for 2 days.. Now I have what I have been told is my first period, a horrific amount of bleeding, massive blood clots that fit in the palm of my hand! The blood just pours from me like someone turning on a tap! Very frightening! This happened four times 2 days ago, once yesterday and twice today. No sanitary towel in the world could absorb the blood, the longest 'episode' was 30 minutes of constant heavy blood flow and clotting. Cannot leave the toilet when it starts.. Just have to wait it out.. Not very convenient..bleeding stops completely between times :-s I have been told it is normal, and will stop in a few days.. I hope so! I feel well so not to worry.. Still upsetting when u see all that blood tho.. And nothing could have prepared me for a period like this! Xx
Hi Petra, I know this forum is old and you probably don't read these messages anymore, but I felt compelled to tell you my story.

I had a late miscarriage at 18.5 weeks due to an incompetent cervix. I went into hospital with a little bleeding then within a few hours I could feel pressure around my cervix. It turns out I was 2cm dialated with a bulging sac!

The dr tried to perform an emergency cerclage the next day but unfortunately, by then the sac had bulged out too much and they didn't want to rupture it or cause infection.

I was told the hearbreaking news that I would miscarry very soon because my cervix was open. So they kept me in hospital on bedrest and gave me antibiotics to prevent infection.

Throughout all of this panic the baby was fine. I could feel him swishing around in my tummy, poking my stomach, having hiccups. The scan even showed him sucking his thumb - all calm while I'm having a panic! Just seeing life in him made me determined to keep him cooking for as long as possible - even if it meant bedrest for the next 20 weeks!

However, the whole time I was in hospital (6 days) I was having pains in my back and pelvic area. Deep down I knew they were labour pains but I was trying so hard to think positive that I disregarded them and didn't tell the nurses. Thinking back, this was a silly thing to do as I could have really harmed myself but I was so desperate feeling my baby alive inside me.

Then on the last day, the pain got so bad - unbearable and I knew that I had to deliver him to make the pain go away. Little Elijah was delivered early that morning still moving in his sac! By the time the nurses brought him back to me, he had died. I could still see his heart beating slowly inside his chest but the nurses assured me that he had died and there was nothing they could do because he was so tiny.

I remember praying everyday while I was in hospital but since I lost Elijah I haven't prayed since, which I know is wrong - I should not blame God. But I cannot understand why expectant mothers are made to feel so much love for a baby that isn't yet born only to feel so much pain when they die. I am hoping that I can get right with God soon as deep down I know that it just wasn't my time. But my time will come very soon. All I had was a taster of whats to come!

So getting back to the discussion topic, it has been 2 months since my loss and I am having the most intense bleeding I've ever had since the miscarriage. I spotted around the time my period was due so I took this as my period. I then ovulated a week later so I started to doubt this was a period. Now two weeks later I have heavy bleeding - although no cramping like I normally have. I also have pregnancy symptoms like headaches, dizziness, bigger boobs so I think my hormones are raging at the moment.

Even though I am disappointed that my period is so heavy, I see this as my body's way of telling me that it is getting back to normal and will soon be ready again for a baby.

So ladies don't ever give up hope. Trust in God and your bodies and you will have your rainbow babies very soon x
hello, I myself miscarried last Sept. 13. I chose to have it the natural way and waited...it was so painful because I labored for 6 hours before I finally feel my little angel leave my body, I was 6wks when it happened. I did not have d/c since I stopped bleeding after seven days...my OB just gave me antibiotics just in case i develop an infection of which thank GOD I did not. It was supposed to be my first child but maybe it was not time yet for me. I feel so low but I tried to be optimistic, my husband is very supportive but I sometimes treats him badly and I don't know why. Yeah, maybe you guys are right, it is because of the hormones and the changes our bodies undergone that it affected our emotions to get worst. But I want to start again since I just had my first period last Oct. 7, and yes I was surprise for it to be heavy than my usual period. It has a lot of small blood clots too...just really glad that mos of you have the same experience.

I really hope the second one will be healthy and finally I can hear her/his laugh.

God Bless everyone.

Hope to chat with you: nova_humi***@****
Hi everyone i need some advice, i mc at 9 wks and choose medical management elimanate the retained products, i was sent home for it to work but later that afternoon i started gushing blood like you wouldn't believe, i ended up fainting in the bathroom and my husband called the emergency services, by the time the paramedics got to our house i was barely breathing and unconcious, i was taken to the emergency with a massive ongoing haemorrhage, i was taken straight to theatre and given an emergency ERPC, unfortunately i lost three and half litres of blood and had to be given three blood transfusions, i was told afterwards that i was ten minutes away from dying and that my husband called the emergency services just in time!... and my full blood count is still 102 and not 112 like it should be so i'm having regular blood test fort nightly to keep check on it.. I'm still on iron tablets everyday as i'm still anaemic it had now been five weeks since my emergency op and i've just yesterday started my period, only thing is its extremely heavy like soaking a pad an hour, i'm really worried as my periods before the mc was very light and only lasted two days, i can't afford to lose a lot of blood as i'm scared its going to lower my blood count even lower than what it is, should i be worried ? can any one give me some advice on this ? thanks
I was 18 weeks 3 days pregnant when we had our first ultrasound 4/10/12 and found out the baby's heart had stopped, I had an induction done and gave birth after 13 hours on 4/12/12.  We are not even sure how old long the baby was gone, they said just a few days.

I started my period on Mon 05/14 and it was kind of light at first but last night got much heavier with heavy clotting, it was starting to worry me until I found this post/site.

It has been very hard for me I am 30 and just remarried last Sept, I have 3 children (13,10,& 8) with my previous husband, I guess I am still having a hard time figuring out why this happened, I am finally in a happy healthy relationship and can't have a baby.  My husband and I are going to be trying again soon, and hopefully it works out this time.  I felt bad because I had bare told my children I was pregnant a few weeks prior and they were very excited, and couldn't wait to find out if they were having a brother or sister.  They also look forward to us trying again.  Best quote I heard in reference to losing a baby "You can't shake a healthy baby loose." that is so very true and I have come to terms with the fact there was a reason for it. It doesn't really make it any easier.  I hope all of you luck and happiness in your efforts to conceive again.  
Hi All,
I have some questions for everyone. I had taken Depo Provera for a few years prior to getting married. When I married my DH, we decided I would stop and haven't had an injection since June 2010. My first period after that was in June of 2011 and has been regular since.
I had a BFP last week and started bleeding Sunday. Went to ER and Dr said M/C at probably only 3 wks or so along.
I have been bleeding quite heavily since and was relieved to read that that is normal and common.
Is this a regular period? It was about 10 days late but does it still count? Do I count Sunday as day one of my cycle and can we try again when I finally do stop bleeding (expecting to ovulate around days 12-14)?
ER Doc wasn't much of a talker and regular Doc away on vacation....of course! :)
So confused!
Ashley
I am lying here with such pain.  Had a natural miscarriage at 11 weeks after a blighted ovum was determined vs. a pregnancy.  Haemorrhaged the first night of miscarriage at a Disney Ice Show...completely unexpected.  It was an evening of horror for me.  I did not see the dr. for follow up ultrasound for about a week later.  2 ultrasounds confirmed that everything had passed.  This was March 15-March 19th.  I had some spotting since which I didn't know if it was my period or not until now.  Last Friday I started bleeding and was happy to have my period back and to be starting a new cycle.  However, by Monday or Tuesday I was suffering with bad cramping and heavy bleeding and clots.  I was managing the pain using Aleve and hot pack on my lower abdomen.  Thursday afternoon, same pain.  Tonight, it is the worse (8 days of bleeding and clots of varying sizing, heavy bleeding).  This is normal after a miscarriage 2+ months agon??  I have read these posts and they have given me some reassurance but I am concerned about the cramping pain.  
I'm so very sorry for your loss Petra
I miscarried at 6 weeks and the period was the same but there was large clots and on the second last day of the seven day period they called it I passed a cot the size of a grapefruit it felt like I was giving birth the doctor said it is just our bodies way of cleaning house to get ready for the next cycle again sorry for your loss
thank you for sharing this. I had an mc in january, was put on depo shot now having first period. I have NEVER blead this much..not clots..just bright red blood, it is scary
Its a month exactly since I had my D&C, however I started to miss carry a week exactly before that. I was so scared to be pregnant again as I had a 6 year old and a 19month old at the time and I was not ready to have another one. I found out on my birthday for definiate that I was pregnant I was shocked but I got over it very quickly and the next day I was excited and couldnt wait to tell my boys. 3 days later I started to bleed and my world felt like it was caving in on me. I started shaking, panicing I couldnt believe it. I went to the Hospital and I was see straight away the doctor suspected ectopic so he admitted me straight away so I could get a scan done. After 12 hours sitting in A&E I was brought up to the ward. The ward they put me on had newborn babies on it and heavily pregnant women. I felt so out of place. The next day I got the scan and they told me that they werent sure if it was the baby but it look abnorbal their was a heart beat but they told me that the baby would not survive either the pregnancy or if carried to term out side the womb. I was devestated. My Partner didnt really understand what she was saying. I had to whisper to him what was going on walking going up the hall. Just before I got to my ward I couldnt face going into it. I burst into tears and I just wanted to well I think most of yous will know how I felt. Well the hospital said I would need a scan in a week and a blood test every two days. unfortunately when they took my bloods the previous day they forgot to check my HCG levels and they had to take more blood. I left the hospital as soon as they would let me I hated where they had put me.

After two more times of getting bloods done I got a phone call at about twenty to nine at night asking me to go to the hospital as I needed to be admitted. I was scared nothing was explained. I called my mam and asked her to bring me over as I had no babysitter and I just wanted my Mam. Anyway when I got to the hospital they  took about three hours to actually process me as an admission. The next day I was fasting and on a drip so I could get another scan done. When I got the scan the sonographer said she couldnt find anything. They where afraid once again that it was ectopic making me think what the hell the doctor seen the first time. My hormone levels had started to raise again slowly, which is unusual. No doctors seen me that day and I was left fasting for the whole day I was starving, and uninformed. A nurse who I adore came around and done the doctors job and told me that they where thinking of doing an exploratry operation to find out what was going on and she also fed me. She was brilliant. The next day again I was fasting and the consultant eventually came in but It wasnt even my one. Shecame over and explaind I had three options I choose the the D&C and I was brought down to theatre a few hours later. When I came back up I was balling crying. The same nurse came over and gave me a big hug and wouldnt leave me until I settled.

I was told nothing after that and was barely seen by a doctor before I was released a few hours later another nurse very bad form tried to kick me out of the hospital. I was told nothing about the recovery time and I was suppose to get a doctors note again nothing given.

I have now gotten my period after it and my God it is gushing out of me. It really does give you the feeling of no control and the memory of loss all over agian. I am so happy I came on here because I had no idea I was about to ring the doctor and make an appointment. I am using the maternity pads because nothing else will stop it seeping trough my clothes.

I was so embarressed destroying my clothes. At least now I now it is normal.

Sorry if my story reminds you of your loss but it felt good to write it up I have noone to talk to and It feels good to get it out.

I am so sorry for all of your lossess and I hope yous are blessed in some way or another love to you all.
Glad I found this thread, I am just now experiencing my first period since my m/c 4 weeks ago and the bleeding is the same as the m/c minus the tissue passage.  
I have been seeing my period for 5weeks now...Im not pregnant and i didn't have an miscarriage  could someone tell me what's happening to me?
Yes, I am glad too. I am too old to have any more children.... I have 4 grandkids. I think I may die or bleed out. It is crazy. I am glad someone posted this link.