MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
Heavy First Period after Miscarriage
by Petra1, Mar 07, 2004
I was 11 weeks preg when I had a miscarriage at the beginning of Feb. They found out that I was expecting twins (no heart beat).  A DC was performed on 10th Feb and I started my period on 6th March (yesterday).  I am bleeding heavily (tiny clots) one pad lasts two hours and I am experiencing small cramping pains, is this normal?  It feels like I am miscarrying all over again and I am finding it really disturbing!

Member Comments (65)
by Kristen26, Mar 07, 2004
I'm so sorry for your loss. It is normal for the first period after a miscarriage to be heavier that usual. If you start soaking more than a pad an hour, or have lightheadness, dizziness, or faintness, go to the doctor or ER. Take care, hope things start to lighten up soon. The first period is hard, it reminds you of the miscarriage. Take care. (((Hugs))) ~Kristen
by sbslilli, Mar 08, 2004
My sis in law is still having really heavy periods since giving birth to a 12 week fetus at 14 weeks in November.  She is getting some blood work done to see if anything is wrong.  I really don't know what they are looking for but I hear that it is very common to have really heavy periods after a m/c.  I am very sorry for your loss.  I have had two m/c and still bleeding from my second three weeks ago.  It's all so very sad and unfair.  (((((HUGS)))))) to you.

steph
by Sarie, Mar 11, 2004
I am glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem.  I was 14 weeks pregnant and had a miscarriage in December of 2003.  My first period lasted about one day and it was gone.  However, the second one, which I am having now, has lasted a lot longer.  I went 5 days and stopped, and now I have started back again.  I have never bled this much in my life.  After seeing that I'm not the only one now, I feel much better. :)
by Petra1, Mar 16, 2004
I went to the Doctors and he said that it is fairly normal to bleed heavily on your first period because the uterus is getting back to normal.  Now I know why they tell you to wait until after your first period before you try to conceive again!
by mommawifeRN, Aug 17, 2007
I have two beautiful sons ages 9yrs and 1 yr. We found out we were pregnant with #3 in May and at 9 weeks the ultra sound showed the fetus had stopped growing at about 5-6 weeks. I choose to use Cytotec and miscarried. It's been about a month and I got my period a week ago. The first few days it was light. Now on day 6 it is really heavy. I feel like I have been bleeding for a month and feel so drained. I'm cranky and very short with my husband to the point where we are barely speaking because I have been so "mean" as he says. Is this normal? Is or was anyone else like this. I'm totally okay with the miscarriage. I know there was just something wrong and that it's normal. So is it just my hormones? My husband and I rarely fight let alone not speak. We've always communicated very well. He says he wants his wife back. I don't think I'm being THAT different. Tonight is our anniversary and I don't even feel like going to dinner now. Please someone tell me this is normal and will pass.
by chloe1014, Aug 17, 2007
I don't know it is normal but my husband says I have been mean and I have an attitude all the time so I think its normal or hormones are raging and or body is trying to regulate us which makes us short tempered.It will eventually get better.I miscarried at 6 weeks 7/28 and I just stopped bleeding two days ago THANK GOD. Looking forward to my period so we can try again that was my first pregnancy. Praying for a healthy one next time around.
by sunshinelover, Aug 26, 2007
I had a miscarriage on 7/18/07.  The bleeding was really heavy and  I  was 11 weeks pregnant.  I just had my first period this weekend 8/24/07.  The bleeding started off light and got heavier but has now stopped.  This is weird to feel so hormonal and not have more than two 1/2 days of bleeding. I was feeling so hormonal I almost thought I was pregnant again, a little disappointing not to be. Seeing the blood has definitely been depressing. I just hope this feeling of loss will pass so that we can move on to happier days... and with more babies.  Sorry for all of your sadness and loss...
by Ozzygirl, Oct 18, 2007
I miscarried this Sept. and it was very hard on me,this website helped alot,it answered alot of questions and fears i had,i had alot of help from family and friends but i know sometimes that isn't enough,so if ANYONE out there needs someone to talk to i would love to talk with anyone that needs it, e-mail me at Ozzy_lover_20***@**** i hope anyone out there that just needs someone to talk to feels free to e-mail me. Thank you...that is Yahoo..and .com^^ thanks agian.
by Brown Eyed Gurl, Oct 18, 2007
Wow I'm glad to find this post I was thinking the same thing,  I had a MC Aug. 27 and D&C Sept 5th and just started my first period this week and it's very very heavy and I'm having clots like crazy....and the pains just like My MC with my first MC my next period was normal  but this is very different I had myself convinced I was having another MC.  But maybe its b/c I had the D&C this time and not with my first MC.