Maternal & Child Community
Help my baby wont sleep alone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Help my baby wont sleep alone

my baby is 6 weeks old, she wont let me put her down at all during the day, night time is horrid i dread it! she has a crib next to my bed but wont let me put her in there, ill get her to sleep and gently put her down but she ALWAYS wakes up, iv tried swaddling her but she hates that, iv tried womb sounds, rocking her, letting her cry (that broke my heart and im not gonna do that agen), tring to settle her without picking her up. Nothing works, in the end i end up sleeping on my back with her laying on me and thats how shes  happy! i dont want to keep letting her sleep with me as in scared of SIDS.
i dont no what to do, sometimes she will lay peacefully on her tummy but i dont let her sleep at night like this as i no it also increases the risk of SIDS.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP im tired!
Have you tried co-sleeping without her laying on your body?  Some babies sleep fine on their own and others like to sleep with their mommies.  It's just her personality.  Can you lay her next to you or is it just on your belly that she's content?  Co-sleeping is fine as long as you are aware she is there and the bed is safe, meaning she's not on the edge.
i always end up with her on my belly sleeping i put pillows either side of me so she dont roll off,she wont lay next to me she just wants cuddles, im scared that she will over heat laying on my tummy as they say not to let them sleep on there tummys coz they cant regulate there temp like that!
Is she formula or breastfed?  Does she throw up a lot when she eats?  Does it seem like she has a lot of gas?  There may be more issues than just her sleeping.  Maybe she has acid reflux.
Our girl is almost 8 weeks now and we had a similar problem at first.  Have you tried putting your baby to sleep in a swing or a bouncer?  Our girl had a much better time falling asleep in her Papasan swing with some white noise.  I think it's more comfortable than her crib.  She also hates being swaddled and in her swing she does not distract herself with her hands and feet as much.  Now she is able to put herself to sleep in her crib.  Also, we made her crib a place she wants to hang out, with a mobile she likes and ocean wonders aquarium that she loves to look at and listen to music.  

I hope this helps some...
yes iv tried putting her to sleep in her rocker and pram but she just wont be put down! shes fully brestfed,i dont think wind is the prob she is happy as long as she is being held! im realy at a loss of what to do, she wont evern sleep next to me it has to be on me haveing a cuddle!
h t t p : / / w w w . a s k d r s e a r s . c o m / h t m l / 7 / T 0 7 0 3 0 0 . a s p is an article about ways to get a baby to sleep.  Delete the spaces between the letters and characters, and it should come up.  If not, just google "31 Ways to Get a Baby to Sleep" by Dr. Sears and you should be able to find it.  Dr. Sears is a writer who is quite sympathetic about the fact that some babies are ones you "just can't put down," so if any writer on the issue has ideas for this, he should.

I think you shouldn't worry so much about SIDS.  The risk is actually very low.  There are lots of good articles giving good advice about safe cosleeping.  It may work for you.  

THere are some babies that do need lots of physical contact.  Things will get easier with time, but now you need to work out how to get some sleep ofr you.

My 7 week old is pretty good about going to sleep.  But we cosleep.  I put her down next to me. She's comforable and I know she's safe.  We minimise bed clothes so she gets plenty of air. She already sleeps through the night from 11 or so to 6ish.
i dont want to hurt your feelings, but in my opinion you have made her this way because it sounds like you give in to her everytime she wants you to pick her up.  my 5 month old son has been sleeping through the night (8pm to 5am) since he was 5 WEEKS old....and he has been sleeping in his own bed in his own room since the day we came home from the hospital....it's because i made the choice to make it happen.  sure, some babies need more attention and affection, but you can do so much more "cuddling" during the day when you are rested and happy. and from my experience, when you are tired and not getting the time for yourself that you need, then your baby is only gonna suffer,  you'll be in a bad mood and you wont be able to really enjoy her.....

let her cry a little...shes too little to remember it and after a few nights i guarantee you she'll be over it.

disclaimer.....for those of you who will be mad about my comments - it is only my OPINION.....to each his own..
I don't agree with letting a baby cry it out at such an early age.  Every baby's temperament is different from day 1.  Some need cuddles, some can be put down, some have to be on mommy all of the time.  That is why the carrier was such an important invention.  It allows mommy to get done what she needs to do and allows baby close bonding time to.  My son didn't mind being put down but he had his moments where all he wanted was mommy.  At such a young age they cry to communicate, whether it be they are hunger, gassy, need changing or want closeness.  It's not them trying to be manipulative, they are building trust between you and them.  I'm not saying continue to do things that make you less effective as a mom because you are exhausted but you have to try different things that will work for you and your child.  I don't think crying it out at a young age like that is really a good practice.  But hey to each his/her own.
some onle told me to let her cry and i left her for about 5 mins and i could not leave her for anylonger! i dont think im spoiling her by not letting her cry because as mami1323 said shes trying to communicate and i dont agree with just leaving her as she dont understand why im leaving her!

tazdevil1 you are very lucky to have a baby to sleep through the night at 5 weeks old as that is very rare!!
My son was the same way.  During the day he would sleep for a bit in the swing but other than that, he wanted to be held.  For the first 8 or 10 weeks (can't remember for sure), I ended up sleeping in the recliner with him on my chest.  I'm sure it was not the dr recommend thing to do, but it was the only way I could get any sleep.  During the day, I pretty much did the same thing but in the living room on the couch instead of the nursery.  

At 10wks (I think), he started falling asleep in his bouncy seat.  I would then move him from his bouncy seat to the crib and by then he was okay with it.  It actually went way smoother than I had ever imagined it would.  

best of luck to you!!  
wow that was like that with my girl for a while. it takes time if she is only 6 weeks old.....I had to let my daughter cry a few times as well, but she was already use to going to sleep in her crib, just at the time she didn't fall asleep on me after breastfeeding like she use to.......just take it one step at a time, try and stop having her sleep on you, I know its great I loved it, but maybe doing tummy time during the day will help and then start only having her sleep beside you........and then leave her in your bed while your awake if it is the right hour of the night that you are still awake or something. Its hard yes, but she should learn, talk to her a lot too when you are feeding her or something.....even during they day if you don't, maybe that will make her feel more safe at night because she knows you know she is there you know........singing and massages are great too and make sure when you put her to bed it is quiet and have some soothing music, but I think you have mentioned it.....maybe crying will have to come down to it.......but wait and keep trying what you can do because trust me it killed me too hearing my daughter cry like that........but you know the differences with her cries, if she gets real upset like really bad then go back to her but if it is just a normal cry than try and leave her for a little longer, you are going to have to end up doing that sometimes because I still have to do that often, now that she is getting such a personality, hope things get better :)