Maternal & Child Community
Help potty training 2 yr old boy.......

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Help potty training 2 yr old boy.......

I have a 26 month old son and really want to potty train him.  I always hear of boys taking longer than girls and most stories I hear say that they aren't potty trained until 3.  Well my son's only two and I was wondering if anyone out there has a success story about a two year old boy being potty trained.  He know what the potty is and likes to sit on it, and he knows that pee goes in there... so I was going to start first thing in the morning putting him on there.  Any tips, any success stories at this age for a boy????
I don't have a boy but I have a DD who is turning 3 next month and has been potty trained for almost a year now (she started wearing big girls panties on her b-day last year) and the only reason we even got her a potty (6 mo before that) was because she would not keep her clothes and diaper on for more than 10 minutes, even at night.
I have to agree with the previous poster, if your boy isn't ready it won't work and will just block him, wile you cn encourage him, don't push him.
You can put him on the potty in the morning and every 2 hours or so if he is willing to sit on it, otherwise, just wait some more and try again.
My son was potty trained right after he turned 2. He never liked his little potty but wanted to use the toilet. He would straddle it backwards so he could watch himself pee. He loved throwing something in the toilet (like a cheerio) and trying to pee on it. Sounds kinda silly but it worked for him. From the first day he started using the potty he refused to wear a diaper other than at bedtime. He's 2 1/2 now and stands up to pee and hasn't even worn a diaper to sleep in for months (he quit sleeping in one about 2 wks after he started using the potty). I really didn't have to try hard and it was easy. I'd much rather have to rush to the restroom in public than change his diapers now. He goes as much as an adult! Yuck! Good luck!
You need to wait until he is ready.  

All three of my sons potty trained themselves at around 2 1/2 years.  You just put the potty in the bathroom,  show them what it's for,  and wait.  

Here's the deal.  You can either work like a dog to have it done by the time they're 2 1/2,  or you can wait and suddenly they will do it all by themselves.  The result is the same.  ;D

I'm curious,  why are you so anxious to have him potty trained?  You'll find it puts constraints on you - anytime you're out,  you have to know where the bathroom is,  and it has to be in, like a 1 minute reach.

Wait.  Be patient.  He'll do it himself.  ;D
I never said anything about him not being ready... or not wanting to sit on it.  He likes sitting on it, and he likes flushing and I think that if I take the time he will eventually do it.  I have seen some mothers wait for the child to do it himself and the kids was still pooping his pants at 4.  I of course wouldn't force my son to do it, but he can't do it on his own without some help, that's where I come in.  I know he will go when he is ready.  But I am the one who will be havng to take him every hour or two, which I'm willing to do at home and in public.  I'm also 7 months pregnant and would like him to be potty trained by the time the baby comes, if not that's fine too.  But if I don't try then it is my fault for not potty training him, not his fault for not going in it.  I have already introduced him to the potty before and he was fine with sitting on it, I just ran out of energy being as I am so prego.  So now I'm determined to try my hardest to keep up with him if he is willing to sit on the toilet for a few minutes:)  I just wanted to know if there were other mothers of boys out there who have had good luck with having them potty trained at two-two and a half.  my son is such a good little boy and I feel like he may be ready and it's just that I haven't taken the time to do it yet... and I'm a stay at home mom so I need to try.
My twins are 25months. When I had my youngest my mom came to help and she started putting them on the potty. They were 17months. My son really liked and peed in it 4 times a day, he was even dry for a couple of nights. After about 3 weeks, he stopped doing it. I think it wasn't new anymore, not fun and they just stopped. Now I'm facing the same problem. They can take their diaper off by themselves, like to sit on the potty with clothes on, but won't pee anymore...
Do you have two boys or one of each??  I'm a twin and my mom has told me about potty training the two of us... must be so different from just one kid:)  I put my son on the potty a few months ago and he liked it and got used to it so I was pleased.  He didn't go in it so I decided I better wait a few months... so here we are and I figure I better try again.  And he still likes sitting on it with no diaper on but all he wants to do is pull off tiny pieces of toilet paper and wipe his nose then throw it in the toilet!  Then he wants to flush.  So I have to put the TP away so he doesn't get too distracted.  But hey, atleast he's not afraid of the potty.  I really hope that he goes in it soon... I think that when he does it once he'll think it's pretty neat... and new like you said.  I would really like him to not be in diapers atleast during the daytime when the baby's born, but who knows:)
I think it is confusing if you don't keep to the routine.  Explain to your MIL if she is your daycare this is the process that needs to be followed.  In my case my inlaws started the training so I followed what they did.  In my case when we first started training we did have an accident in line at Wal-mart--all over the aile.  That was a little embarrising but what a learning experience.
hey steph- i re-read your post, and i think you imply that he is still in pull-ups. if this is the case, and he really is keeping it dry all the time, then try putting him in underwear (if he's willing). i had assumed that he was in underwear already. you may have to change a few accidents, but you will not be able to gage why he's pooping into pull-ups until you take them away. i have had little boys who start pooping in the toilet as soon as they were put into underwear. when you put him in the undwerwear, explain that they should stay clean. tell him if he doesn't want to poop on the potty then he has to ask for a diaper. this may take the pressure off for a while as he gets comfortable with the idea of using the toilet. expect a few accidents while you figure out the best tactic for him.
Yea he is in pull-ups all the time.  Yes, he stays dry MOST OF THE TIME.  Sometimes I think he is just too lazy to stop playing and go to the bathroom.  We were putting underwear on him and he kept pooping in them...not always but he did a few times.  He stays with my MIL during the day so maybe I will tell her to just put undies on him and see how it goes.  He will just have to remember that he has to go on the potty.  I took him shopping one day to the mall with me and he had undies on and styed clean and dry the whole time!!  So I thought that was good.  Could this be confusing him, like putting undies on him sometimes and not others??
it is clear that your child is not ready to poop on the potty. and it must be so frustrating, because it's clear he knows he's going! he is still on the younger end of the spectrum for boys training. i had a boy in my class do the same exact thing in sept. he was about the same age (1 month short of 3 yrs old). when we saw him squatting or straining, we asked him if he would like a diaper to poop in, or if he would like us to take him to the bathroom. if you're convinced he's about to poop, make it clear that those are the 2 options and he has to choose. the first few weeks he would ask for the diaper, and soon after he agreed to use the toilet.
by the way, is he wearing underwear or pull-ups?
each child is different, so we employ different tactics. one little boy poops around the same time everyday, so we would sit with him in the bathroom and read him stories until he pooped. after a while, the child became comfortable with the idea and was able to poop no problem. another little girl (younger than the rest in the class) had been pee-trained for over half a year, but wouldn't poop on the toilet. her parents also had her ask for a diaper, and it worked for her. one day she asked for the diaper, they cut a hole in the bottom, put it on her, and then sat her on the toilet. she had the security of the diaper, but seeing the poop fall into the toilet helped her overcome her fear (it actually worked- i NEVER would've thought of that one!) another little boy had an aversion to pooping on the toilet because his constipation caused discomfort. we used to have to take him in and literally hold his hand. for another little boy we put up a picture over the toilet of a special toy his parents had bought for him but were saving for the day he had success.

we have seen many instances where parents pushed their children, and it completely backfired. you can offer rewards, but please remember that he is not doing this to frustrate you. there is a reason why he is not comfortable pooping on the potty. sticker charts are often helpful, and emphasize that this is a process of small steps and recognizes accomplishments.

My son started potty training himself before he was 2 he was 1 1/2 and didn't like his diaper or pull-ups so I bought him training underwear and it took like 20 times of him peeing his underwear before he got the feeling that you get when you know you have to go potty. Then we basically waited till it was summer time to get a move on it. We told him to water the tree's and flowers and tires and make a puddle in the dirt. You know the things little boys like to do. Then he started going number 2 in his underwear and he did that once then started telling me he had to go. SO it was pretty easy to do with him.

Good luck just wait for his que and you will be good to go!
we have bought spiderman, Thomas the tank and just plain white ones....he has pooped in MOST of them.  maybe I will try putting him in undies all the time.
we noticed our just-turned-2-yr-old boy would pee right before we put him in the bathtub - all that running water i guess - so we started putting him on the potty, where he'd pee and we'd make a great big fuss over it. for poop, we promised him a fire truck if he'd poop on the potty. 2-3 days later i just let him sit on the potty @ poop time till he went (it was a couple of long days) - but when he did go, he ran to the door (naked) saying "fire truck now!" that was the end of it, he was potty-trained from then on. our next son is almost 2 now but not talking yet, so we're not ready to start trying.
ITA with RockRose.

My ds was almost 3 1/2 before he was out of diapers completely, but he's never wet the bed (we used pull-ups for a while just in case, but he never went in them).  He was going on the potty for a short while when he was 2 or so and then decided it wasn't so much fun after all so he quit using it (I've heard of other boys doing this, too).  He ended up liking the toilet better than the potty chair--he knew where the toilet was and eventually used it.
He loves sitting on the toilet, his potty chair connects to the toilet and it's been great.  Today went fine with putting him on there... and then this evening he suprised us and went pee!  I am so excited and proud of him!  Even if he does stop going in it after a little bit I'm so glad he did it and knows how to:)  I just don't feel like I should wait around for him to do it on his own.  The encouragement and help we give him certainly is worth it.  He'll get it down when he's ready, but this is how they start, by learning:)  Thank you, I think we'll be just fine as long as we do it the way it seems to work for us, it's always different for different people.
I am trying to potty train my 2 (he'll be 3 in a couple weeks) year old.  I am just at my whits end with it.  He pees really well on there but will not and I mean WILL NOT poop.  He has done it a couple of times but that is it.  He would rather do it in his pants and make me change him.  Its making my nuts.  I am having my 2nd on March and would LOVE for Troy to be trained before then.  Is there anything anyone did to help them poop on the potty??
My first was potty trained by 2 1/2 during the day ( he still wears a pull up at night) Just turned four. but is a hard sleeper and will not wake up.

What we did at first was he started to wear a pull up and then put him on the potty every twenty to thirty minutes.  We had a dinger and when it went off he had to go to the bathroom.  Then we progressed to big boy pants and that was it.  He had never had a wet accident since last september, and as long as he does not have the runs from being sick he does not have a poop accident either.  

Yes, he sits on the toilet we just got the toilet ring--did not like the potty chair.  

We are now going to start with our 26 month old also.  He knows how to put the ring on and goes pee quite often just will not poop on it yet.  But we have not stuck to the schedule yet--Right after the first of the year.
Hi everyone! i am a preschool teacher who has helped potty trained over 100 children. (we are a daycare center and do not require 3's to be potty trained. i also worked for 2 years in a toddler room where most potty training occurs). Here's what i learned-
If your kid is interested in sitting on the potty, let them. Set appropriate goals. at first you want them to sit on the potty. next goal is to pee. next goal is to pee after he's kept his diaper dry. next goal is for him to ask to pee after keeping diaper dry, etc... some people say bribing is ineffective, but we have found great success in rewarding each step with something small.
Unfortunately, a large percentage of kids are pee-trained before poop-trained. it often comes many months later. don't force the issue too much- it can cause regression or medical complications (most often constipation- i've seen some children not go for a week!). with extreme cases, (kids who often poop in their undies), we taught them that it is OK to ask for a diaper to poop. this gives a it more time for them to mature physically/emotionally.

also- for kids who often have accidents simply because they're lazy or distracted, have them change their own accidents. they will soon learn it's not worth it! Do not make a big deal of the accident. Simply have them remove the soiled clothes (easiest with pee- with a bm, you may want to sit them in the empty tub), put wet clothes in the washer, and be sure they dress themselves! of course, this should only be used with older children (not under 3) who have accidents due to laziness, NOT because they have not yet developed full control or because they are not yet psycologically ready to be trained.  

I have many, many more tips, but suspect i'm running out of room! but since i've seen it all, feel free to ask specifics.
So since my DS will not poop you say dont push the issue.  If I see his squating (and hiding) I know he is pooping or going to.  I ask him all the time if he wants to go to the potty and he just says no.  Then he wants changed right away.  I really dont know what to do anymore with this.  I am afraid too that when I have the baby he will regress and go back to peeing in his pull up too.  He pees wonderfully (even stands up).  What kind of reqrds should I suggest if he poops on the potty??  I have told him we arent taking him to see Thomas the tank until he goes on his own and wears big boy pants.  Can you help?
steph- definitely pick one and stick to it. just make sure he's ready to try and you're ready to deal with some accidents. one of the most important things in training is having consistency between home and school (or, in this case mil's house).

i also forgot to say that when they are that young and training, we tend to put them on the potty just about every hour. after a few days of success, we cut it back to every hour and half, then to 2, etc... this will help him start to recognize that he can control his pee and poop. chances are, with the frequency, he won't have many accidents and he'll gain some confidence in the the process as well. good luck!
Also try a coveted pair of underpants...like Spiderman (or other action hero) underpants for a boy, or really frilly panties for a girl.  

My daughter is 2 yrs old. We started training a couple weeks ago. We started by giving her M&M's when she would tell us she went in her diaper. After she had that down we went to sitting on the potty.  She goes in it now ever 5 to 10 mins. We used to celebrate it but now its just gotten crazy! Even with her going on the potty chair she puts her pull ups on and then tells me she has to go after 5 mins. How can I teach her to just go all at once!?!?!?! lol.. I'm tired of cleaning pee!