Maternal & Child Community
Help....5 Week Old Baby Won't Sleep!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Help....5 Week Old Baby Won't Sleep!

I have a 5 week old baby that doesn't want to sleep.  He will stay up all day and just take little naps here and there consisting of 5 to 20 minutes.  If I hold him to my breast the entire time he might sleep for an hour or so.  He loves to nurse all the time and has gained good weight.  He gains about 1 lb a week so far.  Sometimes I feel like I am producing red bull energy drink in my breast instead of milk.  One day he was awake for 8 or 9 hours straight without a nap.  Trust me....it wasn't a pleasant.  He fights sleep and fusses.  Now if I lay down with him, nurse him, and hold him he will sleep some.  But I cannot cook, clean or anything.  He doesn't even like to ride in a car seat in the car.  Most babies fall right to sleep. He doesn't like his swing or his vibrating seat and bassinet.  Anyone else have this.  I had to lay him down in his crib to even ask this question and he is pitching a fit.  He does have pleasant times, mostly in the morning when he first wakes up.  He sleeps pretty good at night, waking every 2-3 hours to be fed and goes right back to sleep.  But then too, he wants to be against me.  He will lay on his own now and then for about 5 - 10 minutes and look around.  He has been a handful at times.  I still love him more than words can say and I am trying to have lots of patience and keep thinking this is just a season and he will get better.  Well, the crying is still raging, I better run.
My DD has been the same way, but I finally figured out she is having stomach issues.  Read my post about breastfeeding and you will see what I have found out.
I read your post.  I don't think there is a problem with my milk.  He has the normal loose yellow breast fed baby poo, and doesn't have a rash.  He had a few milk pimples when he was first born.  He does get some gas now and then.  I am still figuring out what I eat that makes him gassy.  I have a good supply of milk and he loves it.  He just acts like he just can't sleep unless I am holding him.  They say you cannot spoil infants, but have I created my own little monster that wants held all the time.  The evenings are the worst.  He is so tired, eyes are red and puffy, and he will start to cry and cry.  Once diaper is changed and belly is full he will just cry fighting sleep.  I know it is normal for a baby to cry some because that is there only form of "talking".  He does smile and make noises to me when I talk to him and he is in a good mood, like "after some sleep".  He is sleepy and so am I.  I went in and picked him up, nursed him for just a few minutes and he went straight to sleep finally.  It's 11 pm at night.  I layed him down in his bassinet in my bedroom and he is fast asleep and we should have a decent night now.
everything is fine. i had the same exact thing happen to me.. zane just would not sleep.. and all he wanted to do .. was nurse.  things will get better.. he will start sleeping... give it just a little more time... i bet he is going through a  growth spurt.  you arent spoiling him at all. please dont think that.. he just wants his mommy close.. and.. breastfeeding.. well. i am sure that he loves that bonding time wtih you... as i am sure that you do as well. just give it some time.. i am sure things will work out!
Nadezdha does this at times... and it was all I could do to finally strip her down, trade off hours with the DH, and just do what I could to keep her from screaming.  Eventually she would knock herself out and just sleep.  It took till the last few days for her to even like the vibration of her pack-n-play or to tolerate her swing.... she seems to like soft music/sound machines though.  My DH says its cuz I held her too much.... I keep telling him that you can't spoil them at this age (she's 5 weeks as well).
Have you tried swaddling him?  It worked wonders for me and was the only way I could get my son to stay asleep when he was that young.  He also prefered to sleep in the playpen in the living room.  Not his crib, not his swing, not his bassinet...his playpen.  After a couple of weeks, we gave in and that was his bed for about nine months...lol!  You could also try swaddling him with a blanket that smells like you (sleep with it for a night).  I know it sounds strange, but it worked for my youngest sister.  She had to have the smell of my mother with her to feel calm as a baby.  Other than that, my only suggestion would be to get a sling so the baby can nap and you can have your hands free.  And please, don't feel you're spoiling him.  This is a very new world to him, one he's not so sure he likes yet and you are the one thing that has always been there.  He needs you.  And when you've hit the end of your rope, it doesn't hurt to sit down and cry a few tears.  When you're done, you'll feel refreshed and better able to cope with your newborn.  Good luck to you!!  :)
My first son would not sleep much in the day and was so colicky he would cry most of the night.  The only time he was okay was when I held him.  The Dr. checked him over and told me that aside from the colic, he was just a difficult baby and that he needed to be held more (baby felt he needed to be held more).  He also told me some babies just need less sleep.  He outgrew the phase around the time the colic passed, but I pretty much had to hold him the entire 10 weeks I was home and the daycare provider, bless her heart, had to wean him off of it, but it was a long road.  At least he's sleeping at night, I think even with my second little guy who was way easier, but still had colic and also acid reflux, he just wanted to be snuggled.  At 5 weeks I wouldn't worry so much.  Try the swaddling thing, mine also liked to be held close.  Cam is okay with being put down now, I wish he would sleep good through the night, but it all takes some time. Just be sure to take a break each day, you need a little time to yourself.  Once baby realizes there is more going on in the world, it will get easier.
Thanks so much everyone for responding.  It is good to know that others have gone through with this with their newborn.  At least I know he is acting totally normal.  He hates being swaddled, because he loves kicking and swinging his little fist around.  Everytime I swaddled him, he cries worse.  Some days are better than others.  Hopefully I will have more better days.  He is better than he was a few weeks ago.  
sounds like Nadia, she only sleeps when it is inconvenient for me!!

Hang in there, it gets easier, I promise.
You are talking about my son. He hates the car seat; he screams.  I try not to take him to many places by myself.  He only sleeps about ten hours in a 24hr day.  He takes cat naps also 10-20 at the most about three times a day and only sleeps 8 hours at night.  He wakes twice to eat.  He fights when it is time to go to bed.  I don't mind him being this way because that's what babies do.
My little guy is the same way. He was actually a good baby (aside from the cat naps ONLY) for the first 7 weeks or so but has gotten quite fussy and gassy. I am strictly nursing and the only thing he really likes is to nurse and be held at the breast. We co sleep also but I return to work next week and we've been trying all this week to get him to go to sleep in the bassinet by himself. He's not liking it very much. I did get a prescription for Zantac for him but haven't noticed a difference, although he has only taken it twice. He HATES the peppermint flavor! I think he just simply loves to be cuddled. I don't mind but yes it is hard to do things. I just keep thinking that this is the son I always wanted! This is the baby I could not wait to meet. This is my last child and I will enjoy every minute of it no matter what. Sometimes they can just sense your vibe. If you're calm, it can help calm them. If you're frustrated, they sense that too. They won't be babies for long though. This too, shall pass (:
I did the same thing with both my babies and they both slept through the night very early. My son started at 8 weeks and my daughter at 5 weeks.
1. put white noise on in the room (I had a sleep machine)
2. Swaddle swaddle swaddle. The best one is "the myracle blanket"
3. make sure the room is dark and cool
4. Eat lots of turkey! I'm convincinced the triptophan (sp?) transfers to the milk and knocks them out

Create a bedtime routine and nap them in their nursery so they associate thier room with sleeping. Good luck!
I appreciate all the comments and I think it is good for many of us to see that a lot of us are in the same boat.  I enjoy holding him, I even hold him while I eat.  But I worry sometimes if something is wrong and maybe I'm eating something I shouldn't.  He is so precious.  But to eat I do have to cook.  We can only stand so much take out.   I want home cooked meals.  I cook with him cradled in my arms most of the time.  I know it is just a season and this too will pass.  He will be walking before I know it.  Can you believe I am even thinking of wanting another one soon.  I just look at him and cry and feel so blessed, he is so beautiful.  
OMG, I feel as though I typed your post myself.  Except Lukas usually has good happy awake time in the afternoon instead of morning, but ALL THE REST!!!  Wow, right on the head!!  I have to go read the other posts now.  But I came on here looking for info on 5 week olds, and saw your post....  I really could have written it.  Lukas wants to be with me ALL THE TIME.  Good thing he is absolutly adorable, because he has me wrapped!!!
I read where you said... "Can you believe I am even thinking of wanting another one soon..." and I am feeling the same way. Just two days after my baby was born I already knew I wanted another one. Even after the horrible delivery and his health problems. This time is so precious and having a  baby makes me feel so close to heaven. So YES, I CAN believe it!!!  :) :) :)