Maternal & Child Community
Help...I'm 31 weeks pregnant and fell.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Help...I'm 31 weeks pregnant and fell.

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and fell this morning.  I was real sleepy and missed the last step on the stairs in my house on the way down.  I fell into the wall and hit my side and then bounced off a cabinet with my arm and elbow in front of me.  I then landed hard on my left knee skinning it and fell back on my bum.  It shook me up a bit.  I didn't take a hard blow to my belly.  Just a little to the left side of it.  I drank a big glass of water and layed down putting my feet up for a couple of hours.  I feel okay, except my knee, arm, and side hurts a little.  My tummy keeping cramping some, but I think it is just some gas...at least I hope.  The baby should be well protected in the uterus shouldn't he.  I will keep an eye on my day and see how I do.

Has anyone else experienced a fall like this?
i hate stairs in home i have 13 of them in myh house, i fell couple times in my pregnancy, for me the baby was ok, yours should move, if not you should go to the ER, and if you are really worried go right now.
I have fell about 3 times.  I'm 30 weeks now but it' sbeen about a month since my last fall.  That time I actually fell backwards in a chair with wheels, landed on my back and hit my head.  Baby was fine.  Before that I had fallen twice on a wet floor and one time had hit my side, leg, and landed on my bum.  Actually both of those falls resulted on my bum.  
Fact is, you are going to worry.  When I fell over a weekend, I did wait until Monday to call my doc.  One time he put me in for an ultrasound and another time he had me go to Labor and Delivery for monitoring (that was because i was cramping... which turned out I was just dehydrated from being so upset).  

I am positive yoru baby is fine but it is ultimately up to you to decide what to do.  If you have good insurance, I would go ahead to the ER and get checked out.  Those trips are SOO pricey even with my good insurance but it is worth it to know things are fine.  IF you are feeling her move and feel normal, you could put it off till Monday and call your doc.  Call him regardless.  

Here is what I would do after so many instances with this.  I would drink something sugary like orange pop or another kind ofsoda.  Then I would relax, lay on my side, and wait to feel her moving.  If' she was moving, i would wait and call him Monday.  If I don't feel anything after a couple of hours, I would head to the ER.  

Of course people will tell you to go straight to the ER and others will tell you youre fine.  No one here's a doctor and only go by our experiences.  
Here's the big questions.... Is your baby moving like normal? If so then I wouldn't be too concerned. If the movements are slowed or non existent then I think it's time to take a trip to the ER.
If you fell and struck any part of your tummy, you need to call your doctor and let him/her give you advice as what to do.  Especially  since your side hurts and you think you might be cramping.

You don't have to run right in to the ER, but you DO HAVE TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR and take the advice given to you by your own health care provider.  
well i fell in my 33rd weekof pregnancy with my son but i fell flat on the belly and my baby boy is okay but i did go to the er and was admited for 2 days just for precaution you should call your dr. and see what he tells you oh and take it easy monitor your babys movements if you notice any sparatic changes in movement then i would be a lil alarmed but for now if baby seems normal just rest,
I would call your doctor or go get it checked at least
My internet was on the blink today and just got back up and running.  Thank you all for your comments and advice.  I think my knee and lower arm took the brunt of the blows.  They are very sore and bruised.  I have been feeling the baby move as normal.  I have been taking it easy, drinking a lot of fluids and just monitoring myself.  It just scared me when I fell.  If I notice any changes or if something doesn't feel right, I will go straight to ER.  If all feels okay, I will call my Dr. Monday regardless.  Thanks again!
I fell late in pregnancy with my DS and called the doctor, they made me go to L&D immediately for monitoring, b/c I was told technically it was no different from being in a fender bender to your body and you needed to be checked.  He was fine, but I would definately call and make sure your doctor is aware of the situation.
some of this writings relaxed me, I fell down few times also during my pregnancy so far, today i fell down in the office again, because they were cleaning and the floor was wet with detergents, i am 27 weeks, but now she started moving, i just wake her up i hope....