Maternal & Child Community
Heparin Shots during pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Heparin Shots during pregnancy?

I'm hoping to be come pregnant with my 3rd baby soon.  However I recently discovered through my grandfather that I have an inherited blood clotting disorder, called Factor V (five) Leiden.

Anyhow it means that I should really be taking daily shots of Heparin during my pregancy to prevent any clotting of the placenta etc and subsequently any problems with the baby.

Have any of you had this hsot during pregnacy?  How much did it cost you?  What was it like to take it ever day?  What are of the body did you have to inject it into?

My first 2 pregnancies had no complications and I have never miscarried that I know of so I'm hoping that the Heparin will just be my little insurance package for this one ;o)
Hello, I inject heparin daily- 2x per day into my abdomen.  It's become part of my daily routine!  I believe that for 40 bottles (about 4 doses in each bottle) it was about $230.  I think that I'm suppose to use the heparin for 20 weeks.  It's not bad at all...
Thank you for your response, glad to know there is someone else out there similar to me :o)
You're welcome...do expect a lot of bruising though.  Again, it's all worth it!!  I have to inject progesterone and HCG as well for preventative care too.
my daughter is 14 weeks pregnant and just found that her blood clots easy her doctor told her and sent her to see a specilist on 1/24 08 we never heard of this befor
I am currently 35 weeks pregnant and taking heparin twice a day. With the assistance of Medicaid I don't have to pay anything, but the cost for 39 vials was almost $170. Anyway, it is best to inject in the lower abdominal area at least 2 inches away from your navel. Everyone's body react differently to medications but the only side effect that I have is bruising and mild swelling and I have not had any problems with my pregnancy.
I am 18weeks pregnant and have been takin heparin six I was 6 weeks....I've had 3 miscarriages n never made it past my first trimester now that I am taking heparin everything seems to be goin along great! It does bruise a little and swell but if u put ice on the injection site right after injection it will limit all of that...I found that if I inject into my love handles (lol) it don't bruise or hurt as much as the front abdomen..hope this helps
I am 15 weeks pregnant & have had 3 miscarriages & never made it passed te 1st trimester either until iv started takin these heparin shots. Praising God everyday!! =-D