Maternal & Child Community
Herniated Belly Button in Infant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Herniated Belly Button in Infant

I have a ten week old daughter and I think she has a herniated belly button. Her belly button protrudes almost a full inch it is purple in color and squishy to the touch. It protrudes much worse when she is crying. She seems as though her belly button causes her pain(she winces when it is touched) She routinly cries for hours each day usually in the evening. I thought she might have colick but when I give her gas medicine she quiets instantly although she sometimes becomes upset again 1 to 1 1/2 hours later.  Does this sound like a normal heriated bewlly button and she just has a delicate system (she is breast fed) or could there be something else going on? I am becoming quite worried about this she is my third child and I have never experienced this before.
My niece has a herniated belly button.  She is almost 3 and it still sticks out quite a bit.  It was never discolored though.  She was a very gassy, colicky baby, a horrible sleeper and fussed a lot.  I don't think any of that had to do with the belly button though.  The doctor never mentioned it would be a problem other than cosmetic.  
I would certainly get her into the dr. soon to resolve her fusiness.  To my knowledge, the hernia shouldn't be painful to the touch.  Can you stick your fingers in it, and into her abdomen?  If so, she has a hernia.  If it isn't bad, the dr. will probably recomend waiting until around her 4th birthday for anything aggressive like surgery.  These usually heal by themselves in the first few years of life.  Again, I wouldn't hesitate getting her in to see the dr. to ensure a proper diagnosis and care.
hi there what you are discribing is da ju vu to me my daugter had the exact same thing ect hers may have been a little bigger.
i was very concerned as sometimes she just screamed out in pain,she threw up constantly like power spewed the docs thought she may have had a blockage in her small intestine she was watched very closly.
turns out it was just colic why she was so fussy and spewy and wingy.
hers got so big i thought it would explode same thing as your discribing really purple looking and when they cry it bulges.
advice my ob and lactation consult gave me was not to let the baby cry much if at all possible get some colic drop administer those there is this great one called infants friend its 100%natural and it really does work a miracle theyve got a website check it out on a search or something.
also buy nappies one size bigger and firmly wrap them around her hernia(of course putting them on normally first lol)  hold it down with them.i tell you this worked for me i think it started going away when my daughter was about 5 months old now today at 8 months exactly today she just has a little dent there and all is good.
well i really hope i helped i dont often post but read your story and thought i may be able to help keep me posted on how it goes goodluck to you.