Herniated disks and pregnancy
I have two herniated disks (L4-L5 at 9mm and S1-S2 at 3mm) and I am trying to concieve.  My husband and I are concerned about the potential of me having to go on bedrest from the potential pain in the last trimester.  Right now I manage the pain with steroid injections, but that won't be possible once pregnant.  Has anyone with disk herniations gone full term w/o bedrest?  How did you handle pain, movement, etc. Thank you.
I have an L4/5 herniation and have had it for 8 years now. I carried both my boys to term, the bedrest with my 1st was due to pre-term labor, not at all related to the herniation. The pain is tolerable, but does get worse as the pregnancy progresses. It seems like with each pregnancy it gets worse earlier. With my first son, I was fine. With my second I threw my back out at the beginning of my third trimester and was able to manage the pain short term with percocet and with this one I have already thrown out my back once during the first trimester. Due to a natural chemical produced during pregnancy called relaxin, your joints loosen up quite a bit as your pregnancy progresses, which makes it much easier to tweak things. I have to remind myself to be very cautious with certain movements.

I never had any luck with the steroid injections myself and 18 months of PT, both land and aquatic were completely unsuccessful. I have found that while pg the safest and best remedy for me is moist heat. It doesn't take away the pain, but it does help a bit.

Also, I was able to deliver both of my boys naturally, which was a huge concern for me going into it. I did not have any significant pain following delivery, certainly none related to the herniation.

Andi

I have quiet a bit of back problems from an injury years ago. I also have a herniated disc and SI joint damage, and a torn ligament. I have to get injections put in my back every 3 months. I was allowed to do this during my whole pregnancy. Just as long as they didn't go in too deep. My dr did them in his office, I just told him exactly where it hurt. He tried putting me on bedrest due to the damage and amount of pain I was in. Physical therapy didn't do anything. I refused, and just cut down on my days. I eventually had to take maternity leave early b/c of preterm labor episodes. I had an epidural during the later part of labor so I didn't feel any discomfort. Believe me, I was worried!