Maternal & Child Community
High Progesteron/ Low HCG levels what does this mean!!!! (5 weeks)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hello I am lost and so confused I started what I thought was a period over a week ago as I was scheduled to. It was very light and stopped and started alot. It would sart again only when I would do my workout then stop. I decided to take a pregnancy test and it came back very faint so I took another again the same result. Called my doctor and he asked me to come in so I did and they too got a very faint urine test result. He then took blood to test my levels and at approx. 4 weeks and 4 days my HCG level was 35 however he tells me my progesterone levels are high and that is good?! So almost a week later actually 4 days he asks me to come in again for more blood tests and the results were shady. Still high Progesterone but my HCG levels only went up to 57. What does this mean? What could it mean? The doctor has asked me to come in next monday which is in 5 days and do more bloodwork and to be very honest I am losing my mind and dont know what to think or feel. Please!!!!!! Give me some answers and an idea of what to expect!!!!!!I am desperate!!!!
Thank you.
No one can really tell you what may be happening. You could be very early and are going to have a gret pregnancy or it could be a m/c. The fact that you're progestrone is high is very good! That is what sustains a pregnancy. Were you trying to get pregnant? I know it's hard, but pregnancy is all about the waiting game. Hopefully when you go back in on Monday your #'s will have risen! We'll be thinking of you and let us know how everything turns out!
HCG is the hormone that is detected with a hpt. It increases as as the pregnancy develops. Your HCG can double within a couple of weeks. So have they done an u/s?
It is a very good sign that your pregestrone levels are high. But your HCG levels don't sound real good but it could be early. Your HCG levels should double about every 48 hours. When you get to about 12 weeks they start to drop and level off. But they should be rising. I have had a history of miscarriage so they give me injections of progesterone to help support the pregnancy and then draw my blood every few days to  make sure my HCG level is rising when it starts to drop early on in a pregnancy it usually but not always means m/c. I hope everything works out for you...
Hi everyone. How I can get some help here and ideas from people who experienced the same thing like me.

I am pregnant in my second month and I've done 4 blood tests to check the hCG level

1st was on 7 July - HCG 643.2
the day when I started small spotting and light bleeding which lasted 5 days

2nd 12 July - HCG 977
3rd  15 July - HCG 930
4rd  19 July - HCG 913

I also had ultrasound done today and they saw sack in my uterus and heard the heart beat!!

Is there any chance for me to keep this pregnancy? Can I avoid d&c?
Have you heard in your practice of someone who delivered healthy baby when HCG levels drop?

I just had spotting and light bleeding from 7 July till 11 July. My last menstrual period started on 31 May 2004.
I do not have any cramping nor bleeding now.

Please help me with some ideas and information.

Thank you!

Mariana
I can't believe what I just read.  I know how you feel because I am in the same boat.  I am 4-5 weeks preganant and very excited.  I started to bleed and went in the hospital on Tuesday night.  My Hcg level was 576.9, and I was released.  I was sent to my gyno Thursday and my Hcg level has decreased to 575, However my progesterone level is 510!  I am hopeful and trying to stay off my feet as long as I can... please let me know if anyone has any advice for me.  I am desperate and playing a waiting game until my next blood test Saturday.
Hello, I am new here first time. Well I had a few questions. I just got preg. again after having a miscarriage in July, 2004. I am currently about 5-6 weeks and last week I started bleeding less than a period no cramping and very very tiny clotts, is this a possible 2nd miscarriage in 3 months also, I still pee alot but my breasts dont hurt at all anymore and I still do get a metally taste. WHATS WRONG WITH ME!!! I'm only 23 and very healthy don't smoke drink and take prenatal pills everyday someone help.
Hi, I was just ready about all this, and I am also 4-5 weeks, or I think. I went last week for blood work, and the nurse told me it was only 36, I just went again this week- 6 days later, and it is now at 76. Is this bad? I thought that the numbers are suppose to double in 48 hours?  Anyone have ideas?
hi, everybody

I.m very concerned, my hcg levels were 42 on monday 27th when I went back to my doctor for another blood test on wednesdat it was 54 , they told me to stop the progesterone and go back tuesday for another blood test and ultrasound, they think it;s not a viable pregnancy? what can I do? I'm very sad and I can't stop thinking about it? please somebody help me?
hi everybody , my levels were 42 on monday, 54 on wednesday the doctor told me to stop the progesteron in oil and go back tuesday for blood test and ultrasound they think is not a viable pregnancy. please help?
hi .. i found out that i am pregant.betwwen 6 / 8 weeks.. had a scan , but nothing showed up , so had too have blood tests..My HCG Level is at 1100!!! but it said my progestrone level is low, but not so low too m/c inevitable...
can you give me some answers and an idea of what too expect!!!!

thankyou
this is too weird..are you guys paying attention here on the dates??? or am i the only one here???????????????????
hi please is it possible for ones HCG to be too low for a pregnancy test to come out negative
hi i am going through the same thing here i am 6-7 week pregnant my hcg was is only 1858 up from 1352, had u/s and saw heartbeat at 5-6 week but dr called today to say they think is a blighted ovum. How is that possible when there was a heartbeat, not sure what to think now or what is going to happen. Have been going 2 times a week for hcg levels every 3-4 days last 4 times have risen but not doubled has anyone had a viable pregnancy with these low of numbers?
First... to ALL of you out there who are in anguish right now.. I am praying for you... I am 7 weeks preg. after trying for one year.. plus I am almost 42!  Started light spotting- light to dark brown three days ago.. with slight menstrual-like cramps this afternoon.. Blood test showed my hgc level has gone down.. it's in the low 2000s and  when we had a second blood test it was a few hundred higher than this time... so, it's going down... VERY LOW hgc levels... u/s 5 days ago showed a developing embryo to be normal for 7 weeks plus a normal heartbeat.. Went to gyno yesterday am and she said my cervix is closed and that the blood isn't coming from the uterus... I am afraid that a miscarriage is pending... Will have an u/s tomorrow so we will know more.. If anyone has any info.. please let me know..
Hi I am also new here, I found out I was pregnant only 2 weeks after my LMP when my next period was due or just before, I started bleeding for 7 days, I went to the doctor and he gave me an ultrasound but nothing came up, he then told me to get 2 blood tests done 2 days apart. I have just gotten the second blood test done and got the results for the first one today, my HCG levels were 1780 and i'm expected to be roughly four weeks pregnant. The doctor said because they were so high I am most likely still pregnant. I will find out tomorrow but I am very worried. Has this happened to anyone else here and also would these levels mean I might still be pregnant?
hi everyone, I too have low hcG levels and am wondering what it all means.  I think I'm about 5 weeks pregnant and my hcG levels yesterday, 10/4, were 70.  My doctor was not very positive at these results.  Going again tomorrow, 10/6, to check blood hcG levels to check if they're doubling. Have some pregnancy symptoms, but no sickness like my last one or fatigue.  Your comments/experiences would be much appreciated.
Hey - I have had 2 miscarriages this year one on 5/1 and hte other 7/31 and now I am preggers again. I am on progestrone suppositories and have been doing blood work 10/4 HCG was 439, 10/6 779 and 10/8 1223 and then 10/12 1579, the numbers aren't doubling but still rising I have all of my pregnancy symptoms still, and have had not bleeding or cramping. Has anyone else had an experience like this, if so please let me know what I can expect. Thank you so much!
This sucks!! My whole IVF went picture perfect, and I even got a BFP+++ on HPT.  Went for my HCG and I think I have the lowest number I have ever seen anybody ever have.  I could phucking scream, as matter of fact that is what I did!  The nurse, or whoever it was that called me with the results, which I thought was rude, b/c I believe the RE (Physician) should have called me.  What ********.  Anyway, that person told me that I needed to call them if I had any cramping or bleeding.  I have had none of that.  But my level is a mere 10.7  I have never heard of anyone here, or anywhere on the net that has had levels this low w/ the exception of one other at 7.  Is this a definite m/c?????? Please someone tell me!!!  I am phucking devestated!! BECAUSE now I have to pay back this fricken loan $300 per mo. for 5 years and NOTHING to phucking show for.....Crying my eyes out..........
girl let me tell u, I went 2 the doc on 11/7/07 they took my blood, my hcg level was 136.6 then I went back cuz I wuz crampn real bad on 11/10/07 so bad that I could not laugh 2 hard or stand up str8, I was bleedn real heavy I lookd at it as it was coming out  it was running like water so I calld kaiser back & they said 2 go get more blood work so I did on 11/12/07 my hcg level dropd 2 7.7...I was n so much pain!
What ended up happening? You said you'd hardly ever heard of anyone with an HCG level as low as yours- mine was only 9. I found out yesterday, and I think I know how you feel. This is IVF attempt #2, and we can't afford to try it again. I'm to go back for another HCG test in 2 days, but I think the chances are slim that the outcome can be good. Did you ever have any cramping/bleeding? I have not yet. I hope things have turned out well for you. It sucks.
hi
i have had 11 misscariages and i am now on my 12th pregnancy.
each time i get to 6 weeks i start cramping and bleeding,i am always ordered to hcg blood tests which always state that levels are dropping,on monday morning i had hcg levels taken and the results were 416,today wednesday 16/1 i have had terible cramping and quite heavy bleeding but no clots or tissues,i am due to go in tommorow for more hcg level testing.
my advice would be unless you are bleeding very heavy and have very bad stomache ache and backache you are fine! trust me im a master!
i havent had my period in two months, which is usual b/c im usually very normal. I've taken two pregency test at home and one at the doctor all of them have came back negative. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with me?
I just got two HCG tests. On Friday my levels were only at 9.5. Yesterday (Monday) they were at 18.1.
I am 4-1/2 weeks preggers.
Does anyone know what this means. Any of the ladies with the low levels...how did that work out for you???
Hello there...I am new. I just found out early this week that we are pregnant! We have just adopted our daughter and did not think we could get pregnant. I went to the Dr.'s Wednesday and had blood drawn...HCG only 150 :( They said this was very low unless I got pregnant like yesterday. I had to go today for a 2nd HCG test...I am waiting for the results...Anyone else have healthy pregnancies at low # hcg's?
Just got my #'s...so far they have doubled! 314 as of this am!
I found out i was preg sat 3/15 by a pos home test but i thought i got my period & was still on it frm 3/3  my blood work says im 2-3 wks but my Hcg was150 than 4 days later it was 139. Another 4 days My bleeding got heavy i went 2 the hospital my levels droped to 40 & my u/s showed nothing Dr said it could be 2 early to tell or it was a misscarage I retested 2day im still hopeing my levels raise is it possible?
I'm in the same boat!  I had my hcg levels tested yesterday, I am 4 weeks and my hcg is 8!  She told me that its not impossible that I will be ok, but its very unlikely.  I feel like Im just waiting to miscarry now!  No bleeding, cramping or anything like that yet.  You?
I am 5 weeks pregnant and 5 days, i had some light spotting yesterday, only when i went to the washroom tho.l went to the ER and the did some blood work, my hcg level was 7595, but it should be between 10,000-100,000 for 5-6 weeks. I went for an ultra sound today, and the gest. yolk sac was visible, but no heartbeat. The doctor said its too early to know whats really going on. I go for more blood work tomorrow and another ultra sound, next tuesday..Were sooo scared
I am supposed to be like 4 weeks pregnant and I went to the ER last wednesday 7/2 and they did a blood test and today 7/10 I went to my OB and she looked at my records from the hospital and it said my hcg level was only 10.0 and so today they did another blood test..I am supposed to be getting the results tomorrow..I hope it has risen since then...That is why I have been reading about all of you to see if this has happened to anyone else...I have had a miscarrage (miscarriage) before and don't want another one..This will be my 4th pregnancy I had 2 live births one 8/17/02 and the other 2/9/05  and 1 miscarrage (miscarriage) on new years eve 12/31/08..I am just hoping this one don't turn out to be a etopic pregnancy or miscarrage (miscarriage) I am just so worried....But I know you have to have alot of bleeding and cramps and be in alot of pain to have one which I did bleed some last week 7/2/08 for like 5 or 6 days but no cramping or pain..So, hopefully I will have some good news maybe..I'm praying for it...Well good luck with all of you...
I'm interested to know how any of you with low HCG's got on? I just went through IUI, and on day 28 had an HCG of 10. 4 days later it as down to 6 and was told to go off my pessaries (progesteron) as it was pretty certain I was not pregnant an more. I still had to go for another test a week later, as I still had some HCG in my system and couldn't restart my drugs until it was under 1. Day 38 my HCG level had risen to 68 (which is sill extrememly low for 5 1/2 weeks). The fertility clinic is stumped as to what is happening. I have another test tomorrow. Just wondering if there has been any successful pregnancies out there with similar situations?
I too had IUI on 7/19/08 of this year. I had a blood test for Progestrone and Estradiol on 7/25/08 and my numbers were 660 and 49.3 which apparently was good. My expected date to start my period was 7/28. I  still have not started my period and have had no bleeding so far. I had a blood test done this morning to check the HcG and it was a 19. The fertility clinic I've been going to said they would expect my level to be somewhere between 60 and 80. I have had minor cramping off and on since 7/27/08 but again no bleeding. I have another blood test scheduled for Wed morning. I really hate that no one can tell me what this REALLY means. This is (hopefully) my first child and I just don't know what to think right now. I wish you all good luck with your situations!
i also am pregnant, about 5 weeks, but expirienced some slight bleeding on and off for a while. then it got heavier and i bled for 1 and a half days with red blood (period like)  i now have stopped bleeding.  
yesterday 16th august, i had my bloods took which were only 27, doctor said it could be a m/c but it might not be. ( i have had no cramps or clots ) i go back tomorrow 18th august to have more bloods done to see if the pregnancy is progressing etc.. i also have had a scan down internal and external which have showed absolutely nothing, doctor also says its too early to see anything.
im dreading tomorrow and im dreading finding out the verdict.
i already have 1 child age 2 which was a healthy pregnancy, no bleeding or no low hcg levels.

anyway i wish you all luck and please keep us posted on how your pregnancy progresses.    i wish you all the luck in the world.
There is a site called misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com that is a great forum for women to ask questions and actually get some answers.  It isn't a medical site but full of women just like us that are confused or are in the limbo of waiting.
HI I'AM 23 YEARS OLD AND THIS IS MY 5TH PREGNANCY. I'VE HAD 2 MISCARRIAGES, 1 STILLBIRTH, AND 1 THEY HAD TO TAKE BECASUE MY DOC.  HAD JUST FOUND OUT I HAD AN INCOMPETENT CERVIX AND IT WAS TO LATE TO GET STITCH UP. I'AM CURRENTLY 5.5 WEEKS PREGNANT AND I'AM SO EXCITED I FEEL VERY GOOD AND RELAXED ABOUT THIS PREGNANCY. I HAD TO GO AND GET MY HCG LEVEL AND MY PROGESTRONE CHECKED AND IT CAME BACK THAT MY PROG. WAS AT A 12 AND MY DR. WANTED IT TO BE AT AT LEAST A 20 SO HE PUT ME ON PROGESTRONE PILLS.  I WENT TO THE ER BECAUSE I WAS HAVING PAIN ON MY RIGHT  SIDE SO THEY DID AN ULTRASOUND AND THEY DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING SO  THEY FAXED THE RESULTS TO MY DR. BUT TO THE POINT THE DOCTOR GAVE ME A SCARE OF MY LIFE LAST WEEK WHEN HIS NURSE CALLED ME AND  STATED THAT I COULD BE HAVING AN ECTOPIC PREG. SO I HAD TO COME IN IMMEDIATELY AND DO AN ULTRASOUND AND THE BABY IS IN MY UTERUS WHERE IT SUPPOSE TO BE AN IS NORMAL SIZE BUT THEY DID FIND A  CYST ON MY RIGHT OVARY BUT HE SAYS IT COMES FROM BEING PREGNANT AND IT SHOULD SHRINK WHEN THE PLACENTA TAKES OVER. AND SOMEHOW THE NURSE GOT THE INFORMATION MIXED UP. SO THAT'S HOW HE THOUGHT I COULD'VE BEEN  HAVING AN ECTOPIC PREG. I WAS SO SCARED BUT ALL I DO IS PRAY NOW...HAS ANYONE BEEN THROUGH THAT BEFORE...
hi my name is laura and we been trying for a baby for just under two years, Last month before my period was due i felt sick and my breasts were sore. i took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. A couple of days later i still felt rough an bought an earkly results pregnacy test which came back positive. However soon after i started bleeding which would have been the same time as my period would have been. i went to the doctors and they did some blood tests. the following moring i was told i had an early miscarrage (miscarriage) as my levels were low. They arranged a blood test for the following afternoon and have just received a message telling me that they had infact risen. Could this mean that i am infact still pregnant as my periods vary between 27- 32 days and i got a positive with an early preg test. anyone have any ideas :s
after my second ivf i got my hcg results 10dp5dt and they were 13 two days lter i went for a socd blood test and they were 18 can this be a viable pregnancy?
hello , pls gide me ,
these was my first test in week 4 my hcg level came 84 and after 2 days when i re chked it came 46 ? does that mean i hv misscarrage , or i can still have some hope
hi i need help my lmp was on 12th till now i have not got my periods tried hpt came faint positive went to dr for ultrasound was told no gestational sac seen can any one advise what are my chances of conceiving. i havent checked by hcg but with 2 faint reports and no symptoms i am a bit confused and tensed.
I recently found out i was pregnant a week later i started bleeding after intercourse and started out very light pink and progressed to a little heavier, i ended up going to local er they checked me and said there was no blood in my cervix and my hcg was at a 9.5 and that more than likely i was having a miscarriage... has anyone else experienced this and everything was okay? i go bck in a couple days to check my levels and im praying for the best!! anything helps
My last day of my last period was nov 15... About 3 weeks after that I woke up at 3 am feeling nauseous and my breasts hurt so bad I couldn't lay down... I knew I was pregnant I started having food cravings also this would have been my 3 baby.... Oh and I took pregnancy tests.. They all had a very faint line and were all positive after they dried also... Now at 6 weeks I don't feel pregnant all oh a sudden and I started bleeding almost as much as a period with very small clots not alot.... I have never had a miscarriage but I hear it would be alot of pain and Huge clots... Is this true?
I'm so confused. my concern sounds like everyone else's. my last normal period was in October. I took a pregnancy test when I didn't get my period in November. I started bleeding in December in fact i bleed for 2 weeks. I still had pregnancy symptoms the end of December so I took another test. it read positive. I was due to begin seeing my OB 1/23 but on 1/22 i began bleeding so i went to the ER they said my pregnancy test was completely negative. I saw the Dr today and my hcg level is 62.9. i'm very confused the doctor expected my hcg level to be very low or 0. I don't know to think y'all the roller coaster of emotions can't be healthy.
I'm 3 to 4 weeks . My 1st blood work was 45miu and that was Friday and todays was 31 miu . I'm losing this baby aren't I ?
I need help! Today is the 12 and on the 10 I took a home pregnancy test (first response). One line was really dark and the second line was there but it was kind of faint. The next day (the 11) I got my blood drawn and it said my hcg levels where at a 59.9. This whole time my breast hurt and I was having some kind of cramping sensation but it was not bad like when Ian about to start my period. This morning when i went to the bathroom i noticed some light brown discharge when I wiped. I am suppose to start my period on the 14. Since the test was positive and my hcg levels where detecting pregnancy, this means I'm pregnant right? Or can hcg levels be that high because I'm about to start my period? PLEASE HELP!! I'm so nervous we want a baby so bad!