High blood pressure at 38 weeks, a different question.
I know Brentlie just posted a question about her high blood pressure, but my question is different than hers. So I decided to post a new one rather than mixed up with hers.

I went to see my OB yesterday, and my blood pressure at the first test was 171/103! My Dr. asked me to lay down on my left side for 5 minutes and tested again, my blood pressure went down to 156/88. Before I left, they tested me one more time, and my BP went down to 146/77. So my Dr. let me go home and said "see you next week". My question is if my BP varies so much in such a short period of time (10 minutes), should she be cautious at least? should I request a stress test for my baby? This is my first baby, and her head is still not engaged yet, if I go overdue, should I request being induced around my due date because of my high BP?

Thanks for your reply. Were you induced that night or you are still waiting for your baby? The nurse did ask me if I was nervous, or too excited, or running back and forth somewhere. I said no to all those questions. and the nurse mentioned "white gown syndrome". I don't think I have one as for as I know. I guess there is not much I can do for now. Tomorrow is my last day of work. I will try to relax as much as I can.
Yes, I went in that night and because my cervix wasn't "favorable" for induction they had to put the cervadil (SP) pill in that night and then started the pitocin in the am. Either way it didn't work and I had a c-section that following night... They also mentioned white gown syndrome for me but my pressure stayed high. If you feel like your heart is racey or headaches I would call. Just keep an eye out for any signs that things may not be right.
At 172 about 1 week early they sent me home and told me to be at the hospital that night for an induction. They did test me a couple times in the office and mine did not go down. I guess there is risk for stroke so they don't chance it especially with only a week to go. They say that maybe you are a little excited/nervous when you come in and that is why yours was probably high. As long as it went down, I don't think he would have let you go if there was concern. Good luck & congrats!
lfb
I had high blood pressure with my son and my doctor and a friend that is a labor and delivery nurse both said that they don't get really concerned unless the bottom number is 90 or over.  I think they said they don't usually induce for blood pressure only unless the bottom number is over 100.  But, if you have signs of preclamsia or toxemia, it is a different story.  Mine was always just my blood pressure, no swelling or protein in urine.  I don't think blood pressure alone causes much stress on the baby.  My son was perfectly healthy and almost 8 pounds.  I am hoping I don't have that problem this time.  My bp is fine at 23 weeks, but I was 34 last time before it went up.