Maternal & Child Community
High fever in early pregnancy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

High fever in early pregnancy

Hiall,
I don't know if anybody can help or not, but I am in a panic and all I can find is bad news.  Two nights ago I woke up with a fever of 103.5.  I didn't know I was pregnant yet, and I tried Tylenol, which didn't work.  I took a Motrin, which helped bring it down a little bit, so it was up for almost 2 hours.  Yesterday I went to the Dr. who ran a pregnancy test that came up positive.  During the day my temp was under control with Tylenol at 99.8.  Last night again 45 minutes before I was due for more Tylenol my temp was up at 102.2.  I had cool cloths which didn't do much to help, but I wasn't able to take a cool bath at that point so I called my OB's office.  She told me to just take the Tylenol when it was time and keep the cool cloths or ice packs on.  Almost 2 hours after my temp went up, it finally came back down to 100.7.  My concern is this, my brother had spina bifida, so it is already a worry of mine.  I know that high maternal body temp is bad in early pregnancy and can contribute to neural tube defects such as spina bifida.  I told my OB my concern and she kind of blew it off and told me it would have to be sustained for a long period of time.  What is considered a long period of time?  Pregnant women are told not to go into hot tubs or saunas, and my temp was raised much longer than the time that would be spent in a hot tub. I know there is nothing I can do, but am I getting myself worried and worked up for nothing?  Or is this something that I should really be concerned about?  Since my Dr. didn't seem to concerned about it, when and if the time comes should I really push her for aggressive testing?  We have been trying for 2 years with 2 m/c, and it finally happens and my daughter brings the nastiest bug home form school!   Any advice or experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.