Maternal & Child Community
Horse back riding during early pregnancy??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Good morning ladies,
I had a question and wondered if there are any other horse riders out there on these posts. I have been riding all my life and am now 9 wks preggers and havent been on my horse since I found out i was pregnant. I really want to ride again, but i am nervous because i had a m/c with my last pregnancy. Have any of you ridden horses at any time during your pregnancy. I dont ride on rocky terrain, mostly areana work-flat. Thanks if anybody has any info I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
found this and copied it for you:

Keeping active while you
I am also a horse rider and while it was hard to resist getting on while prego, I decided it was not the best idea.
even if you are very good there is always a chance that something could go wrong.
I also had read that it was not the best thing to do, but I would talk to your doc. and make the right choice for yourself!

good luck and all the best :)

I am now prego with baby #2 19 weeks and this time it is a boy!
emcy2-thankyou for copying that for me, it helps. I am really good but dont know if I would consider myself an expert. Maybe an expert in my own mind-LOL. Thank you for you help.

zippgirls-yes, your right it probably is the best thing not to ride until after the baby, it is just soooo hard. I feel like I will lose all my skills and my riding legs during pregnancy. I guess they will always come back. Thanks for your advice
It's not the riding that poses the risk, it's the falling.  

Even the most calm horse is still an unpredictable animal and could shy at any time.  It's just better to play it safe and not ride at all.  If you just can't help yourself, I'd highly recommend it be only in an indoor arena and with someone else present at all times.
I too am a lifelong horsey girl, and currently 32 weeks pregnant with twins (and now on strict bedrest, boo!). When I found out I was pregnant, I made the decision not to ride. I love my horse to death and I know he would never do anything on purpose to hurt me, but all horses have minds of their own and you never can tell when your horse will spook and toss you or some other scary accident might occur. Before being sentenced (yes, sentenced...bed rest sucks) to bed rest, I used the "down time" to just hang out with my horse and focus on stuff like groundwork and lungeing...and you better believe I had the cleanest horse in the barn! Good luck to you and I hope you find a way to get your horsey time in while keeping you and your baby safe. :)
Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Some of the BEST riders in the world still manage to be thrown or fall from a horse...and end up with broken bones or even paralyzed. The last think you want to have to worry about is an injury that has to try and heal WHILE you're pg. Especially if the ligaments and joints will not be as sturdy as they usually are.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to risk hurting my baby, no matter how much I enjoy the activity. It just wouldn't be worth it in the end. I know it seems like a long time, but when you look at how long a lifetime is, it doesn't seem very long! LOL

Best wishes on whatever you decide! :-)
Horses can pick up on pregnancy hormones and it does cause some horses to act diffrent towards a pregnant owner, especially studs.  I would probley not ride while pregnant.
I wouldn't do it.  Back in July I went to Lake Tahoe and rode some horses there but never asked if it was okay to do so, when I came back to Houston, I told my dr, and she advised never to do it again.  Good thing nothing ever happened but I would't recomment it coming from my dr.

Good luck!

Good luck!
I have also been riding my whole life, but I have to say I don't feel safe doing it when I'm pregnant.  When I was about 10 weeks pregnant with ds I rode once, and I noticed I had less energy and balance than before.  I decided then and there I wasn't going to risk anything.  I understand how hard it is to stay off your horse when it is your passion, but it is highly recommended, even in the early stages.
if your horse is trustworthy and you wont fall off go for it but seeing as how horses have minds of there own i wouldent risk it it only takes 1 fall and thats it i have had 2 babys now and own my own horses aswell just give your horses a nice holiday goodluck.
Because you have sadly previously had a MC I would not suggest it, however, I use to ride professionally, and know many women who rode, until they felt uncomfortable. My one instructor got on my hore to show me how to do it and had her baby two days later! But you are taking a chance, and could fall off.

If I was still in the business I would have, but thats just me.
I am currently newly pregnant (8weeks) and ride my horses everyday on the trail.  The risk of falling off the horse is the same as getting in a car accident or tripping down the steps, etc.  I have a smooth trotter that I trot short distances and i have been perfectly fine.  I have talked to a variety of docters and they have told me to do whatever I was doing before I was pregnant but not to exhaustion.  This is my 2nd child.  So I think following your gut and doing whatever you think is best.  I love my horse back riding and trail riding.  It is very relaxing to me and whatever relaxes you when you are pregnant you should immerse yourself in.  hope everything works out for you.  
PS  Miscarriages are caused 98% from chromosomes mutated or missing.... (meaning something severly wrong with the embryo) and its your body protecting you so it eliminates the disease.  3 out of 10 pregnancies end in the first trimester.  

with my first pregnancy i rode till 7 months. i just was a bit more careful. the first trimester i did not ride but after 13 weeks, i started. now my little  boy can't get enough of my horses. i am now pregnant with babe #2 and it gives my body gets lots of stress and pain relief when i ride.
I am just beginning my certification as a professional trainer, and just found out that I am pregnant. I plan to ride for the next 2-4 months... broke horses (no babies) and do a lot of ground work with the 10 horses that I was SUPPOSED to be starting over the next 9 months... =]