Maternal & Child Community
Hospital visit for PTL..very frustrated!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 30w2d and started having regular BH yesterday at 1:30. When I finally started to time them they were about 5-10 min apart for about 1 hour so I called the on call DR. He was not more normal OB and was very impatient with me saying that 5-10 min apart isnt consistant. I am high risk I have a uterine septum and had my son at 36 weeks and had preterm contractions with him. He finally told me if I wanted to to go get monitered. I almost didnt go because he mad me feel like an idiot and like I was just being paranoid but I finally went with my gut. At the hospital they checked for a UTI..neg. After about an hour on the monitor my BH started to become painful and they were coming every 2 min for 45 min until they came in with terbutaline. that slowed them for about 20 min and then they started to pick back up. They did a FFN which came back negative so they sent me home immediatly while I was still contracting every 5 min with no meds or instructions except that I will not go into labor for at least 1 week. Is this normal practice to just send someone home in pain?
When I went into preterm labor at 27 weeks, I was sent from my hospital to a hospital with a amazing NICU by ambulance. They had given me terbutaline too but wanted me to be where the NICU was just in case, plus it is a high risk hospital. I was dialated to 1. They got my contractions stopped and released me home on strict bedrest. 4 days later I had a check up with my regular OB again and he checked to see if I was dialated any further, and rushed me to the women's center because I was in labor again, and dialated to 4. This time, they gave me magnesium sulfate and said we did not have time to wait on a ground ambulance and took me by helicopter back to the high risk hospital, where they stopped my contractions again, but this time I was kept on hospitalized bed rest. I had a c-section at 31 weeks after they found the cord around his neck 6 times. But from the sounds of it, they didn't take your preterm labor very seriously!!!!

On a different note, I didn't know I was having any contractions. I originally went to the hospital the first time due to decreased fetal movement, which I was supposed to be watching for, and the nurse hooked me up and was like OMG, you are having some strong contractions...I didn't feel a single thing, either time I was in labor!!!!