Maternal & Child Community
How Many Of You Did A Child Birth Class?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

at the start of my pregnancy i thought i would take a child birth class. but now im wondering how helpful it really is. im going to use medications. im not having the baby in water. and im not having the baby at home. if i was going thru any one of those methods i would attend a birth class. last time i was at the doctors, i heard a lady talkin to the girl she was with, and she said she took a class with her first pregnancy and when she was in labor...everything she learned kinda got thrown out the window. because she was rushing and then she got the big E at the hospital...she said she wasnt going to spend the money on it again.

so how many had a birth class? did it help? if it didnt, how come? would u recomend taking one? was it overall worth it? (because i know some of them can be expensive)
Because of your age, which I was slightly younger with my first, I would take the class.  When I had my 1st child, and even though I had Demoral, I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing and had a crash course during the birth.  With #2 I took the classes and did far better with as difficult as the labor was.  More so, sometimes depending on the drug (as I found out with the birth of my baby Tuesday) you have to make certain progress in labor before they will give you the drugs and you will need to know what to expect and do.  What I learned in my classes and from the nurses during the "Crash course" has helped me in a lot of ways and in different events.
My class was pretty pointless, I felt! Granted, I may be kicking myself for leaving early once I get in the L&D...but it was just a lot of information that I pick up on here and from books, etc. Plus they did breathing exercises that made me want to hyperventilate so those weren't so helpful! lol I think it's up to you...if you feel like you want to know more about the whole process of L&D and the events leading up to it, then by all means GO! If not, I'm sure that baby will come out regardless! :)
I loved my class.  My husband actually had fun too!!  It really helped include him and he realized what was all included w/ being pregnant.  I learned a lot of pointers for relaxing during child birth.  I am saying yes, it was really worth it.  We met people in the class that we still keep in contact w/ and one of the couples had their baby on the exact same day we did and our rooms were next to each other.  :)
I liked my classes also. DH also felt a little more "prepared" as to what he was going to see. I didn't use any of the breathing techniques but it was nice to know a little about what will happen when you get there.
thats tru. that i would get to learn things about the whole birthing process.

what type of things do they teach...breathing...what else?
Mine just discussed the stages of labor, showed "the video", talked about when to call the hospital, losing your mucous plug........I honestly just don't even remember. I think part of the problem with ours was that it was a Saturday marathon from 9-3. Had we gone a couple nights a week maybe it would have been better, but 6 straight hours was really boring! We ended up leaving at the lunch break.
I didn't do one because people told me it was a waste of money.  If you are getting the epidural then you don't really need to know how to breath because you can't feel anything anyway.  I think there was only once during my whole labor that my contractions started to hurt and I had to breath threw them until more drugs arrived.......I think its a matter of what makes you feel comfortable.  My mom was upset that I hadn't taken them and thought I would need them and then agreed with me that I didn't after it was all said and done.  Good luck!
c for me is a toss up as to what i want to do. i want to get the epidrual so i dont think i would NEED the class.  but it would be nice to kno whats going on. so i would be more prepared.  

i think they have a long class and a short class. and a breastfeeding class. i think i might go for the shorter class and then the breast feeding class
i just had my baby 17weeks ago(my how time flys) and i didnt take them. i was offered them but i had such great drs i was told what to do and how to do it and i dont think i would have remembered anything anyways. good luck hun
  *love them epidruals**
I definetely suggest the breast feeding class.   I didn't take that because my mom was here to help me and she teaches that back home.  Thank god.  Without her I don't think I could have done it.  
Ask for the epidural right away.  I'm telling you I didn't feel a thing.  It was great!!!!
i went out with my mom and she told me she wants me to take all the classs i can anyways just so i have the knoweldge.  im still not sure if it will fully help me. but i gues it cant hurt.
my class was so much more than breathing. they covered many different relaxation techniques and showed you different positions/ motions that may help ease pains during early labor when you'll still be at home. it explained all of the stages of labor, and what to expect in each. it explained all of your pain management options- epidural, drugs, etc... it explained possible complications that may arise, and how they would handle it. it covered all interventions like vaccum, foreceps, episiotomy, emergency c-sec, etc... it explained everything they do to the baby right away, apgar scores, and what the baby will look like and why. take a look at what class is being offered. i would definitely take a childbirth class that covers all of this stuff. i think the "breathing" classes are referred to more as lamaze. you can always ask what the class will be covering. by the way, my class spent a maximum of 2 minutes on actual breathing.
I DO recommend the breastfeeding class! I learned quite a bit in mine. I think that may be why I didn't get much from the childbirth class....it seemed like a review of all we learned in the breastfeeding class! That one was very in depth and very worth my time. We got handouts at the bf'ing class and I was just looking through them the other day.....I think those will be super helpful too once the baby comes!
The class may be nice to take.  I did with my first one, I planned on getting drugs too, but it was nice to go and learn about what was going to happen.  Plus, you can't get the epidural right away, and there is always the chance that you go too fast to get anything or something happens and you can't get them in time.  The one I took at the hospital went over what was going to happen more than the breathing.  They did the basic relaxation, but it was good to know when the contractions were kicking my butt and I had back labor, waiting for the anesthesiologist to get out of surgery.  I had 38 hours with the first one and got the epidural 28 hours into it, so I had a long road before I got some relief.  I tried the IV drug and it only made me feel awful.  Each person is different, but I think it's a good experience and you get to meet others due around the same time who are going through the same thing.  You have a lot of time to think about it though, most won't let you take it till at least well into the 7th month, that way it's fresh in your mind when you need it.
i never took any classes with my dd and i wish i had, not just for the breathing exercises but to know what to expect, i was like you i was set on getting an epidural and honestly thought it was going to hurt a little and then the epi would take over and i wouldnt feel a thing, boy was i wrong, i went so fast that i had the epi for 15 mins until i had to push, i was 4 cms when they put it in and 10cms when they were done (yep 6 cms in 5 mins) anyway it didnt get a chance to kick in at all

so my advise is dont count on a painless delivery, more then likely your epi will be a lifesavor, but i hear all the time about them not working, a class might get you a little more prepared for what your in for

**hope your epi does the trick....im hoping the same for me this time too;)