Maternal & Child Community
How accurate are ultrasounds in determining gestational age and concept...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How accurate are ultrasounds in determining gestational age and conception dates

So, a quick recap. I lived apart from my wife for a year. She is in the Navy. She was out to see for a while, but pulled back in of March 10th. I came down and we had sex March 11th. 2 weeks later, (without any symptoms) she takes a pregnancy test, and it turns out, she is in fact pregnant. We go to the doctor for an ultrasound, and she tells him that the last day of her menstral was on March 5th. The doctor tells her that she must be mistaken because the baby in measuring out to be a little over 14 weeks old. (EDD was 11/27/06 Conception date would have been 03/06/06) He suggests scheduling another ultrasound because 2 weeks is a big difference, and that could mean a lot down the road in the pregnancy, in regards to the babies health and proper stage of development. We get a second ultrasound (after I initially wrote you) to confirm the babies age and fetus measures out to be a little over 18 weeks at this point (EDD was 11/28/06 and conception date of 03/07/06)
so, I know that you can't predict anything, or tell me whether my wife may have made a mistake. I just want to know, if it were you, and being very knowledgable about pregnancy, would you be concerned? Would you have questions? If so, what questions would you ask?

Back to top    

I think early ultra sounds, that is with in the first trimester, are very accurate. Within 5 days. It is most likley that you did concieve (conceive) earlier than you thought. I wouldn't be concerned, I would be excited. Pretty cool to shave off two weeks like that!! Good luck to you both!

I worked 5 years in an ob-gyn office and can tell you that u/s are very accurate in determining gest age and concept dates.
You said you had sex with her March 11 and the doctor is now saying the baby was conceived March 7th. That's only a difference of 4 days and ultrasound can definitely be off by 4 days or more. Actually they can be off by as much as two weeks in either direction but are generally more accurate the earlier they are done. But 4 days is so little of a difference that it shouldn't be of any concern.
hi my friend who is prego now has same story ... she got her periods in april n missed her periods in may she took a preg test it was positive she went to doc .. her blood work n ultrasound showed  she was 2 months prego  i mean she got prego in mid of april but had her periods. she was litrally shocked.what i also heard that some woman  have their 1st cycle like normal periods  during pregnancy .i hope it ll help u
At my ultrasound early on in the 7th week I measured right on. At my 14th week, because I had some trouble, theyhad to do an ultrasound and it was measuring a week n half ahead. The further along you get the bigger the distance is that they can be off. 4 days is no biggie at all! They say in early pregnancy they can be off by 5 days give or take either way. And once you're past like 12 weeks it can be 2 weeks either way! Good luck and congrats on the little one!!
I didn't explain things clearly in my first question.  What I really want to know is...should I be concerned about not being the father.  Due to the conception date...if it is in fact as accurate as you say, I wouldn't be the father.  I came into town on the 11th and the conception date is on the 6th.  And from what I've been reading online, the actual sexual act accures days before conception;  Possibly putting the actual sexual act anywhere between March 2nd and the 5th. I didn't come into town until March 11th.  I know that this may not be the right place to ask these questions but...if the ultrasound is in fact accurate, then I have something to really be concerned about.
according to a quick calculation i did on the calendar from counting from day of last period, march 5th, your wife would be in her 19th week of pregnancy this week. I'm confused as to when your last u/s was please say when you went in for last u/s. if your wife's last period was march 5th and you conceived on march 11th then she ovulated pretty early in cycle - at least on her 7th day of her period maybe that's why there's confusion in her weeks i don't know. what week does she think she's in?
From what you say it is possible that you may not be the Father. BUT I would not fly off the handle yet, you can always take a paternity test once the baby is born and future u/s may also show conception as being a few days later when you were actually in town. Sorry that you are going through this. It makes it hard to get excited when you have doubts.
well i would think if her last period was march 5th then it makes no sense with the dates. unless she never really had a period. if she actually did get her period march 5th and you were together march 11th and she didn't ovulate till a few days later (which makes more sense as women usually (not always) ovulate mid cycle (if 28 day cycle probably day 14), but sometimes ovulate earlier or later too)then it makes sense that you would be the father and they could be a few days off in their calculation. like the others said 4 days off isn't that big a deal in pinpointing day of conception.
If i am understanding your post right, the u/s showed only a 5 day difference from what you expected? If so that u/s seems to be within the margin of error of =/- 5 days or so. Honestly, they are NOT good at determining actual conception dates. It cannot be predicted which swimmer got there first or when it exactly happened, how long it took the egg to travel, or when the egg implanted. Those can all be off here and there.

My first u/s was a quicky one to check for a heartbeat and he did a fast measurement which had me a week later, which was impossible, literally. I had found out 11 days after I ovulated, which if the u/s would have been construed as right, would have had me testing + on a urine test at 4 days past ovulation, not even blood tests pick it up that fast.

As mentioned before, if you do suspect something is "off" a paternity test is the best suggestion. But given the dates, I am not sure that is warranted and that by asking for one may cause more problems.

I am going to congratulate YOU, as my guess you are the dad! BTW, conception can take place within hours of intercourse. Many women on here utilize ovulation predictor kits, which will tell you the egg is releasing in anywhere from, what, 12-24 hours? You only have a small window of time to catch that little bugger. So she could ovulate early in her cycle, released the egg, you had sex, caught the egg, and voila! Baby!!

Good luck, keep us posted on everything.

Andi
we had our first u/s on March 31st and the Doctor said that she was a little over 14 weeks then.  We had the 2nd u/s on June 26th and they said that she was around 18 weeks then.  The reason I'm asking about the accuracy of a u/s is because both ultrasounds gave extremely close due dates of november 27th and November 28th.  Both of those dates gave a conception date that was before I came into town.  Maybe I'm mistaken, I thought that the conception date would match the gestational age, because I thought that that is what the doctors are able to accurately determine based on the size of the child.  Both Doctors determined the gestational age to be virtually the same as the other.  I know that they can't tell me what night we had sex, that led to the conception of a baby; but I did think that they could accurately tell me the age of the fetus (like the date it began growing or something) based on it's size.  After the first ultrasound...I thought like everyone else: "Well, the ultrasound could be off by a week or two, and the next one will say something completely different."  Well the RED FLAG went up in my head when the second ultrasound confirmed the accuracy of the first. I thank all of you for your feedback...it has been insightful.  Please continue to let me know what you think.  2 heads are better than one...so hell, this forum is the best thing going right now.  None of the Doctors at the hospital will answer my questions unless my wife is present.  And the last thing I want to do is cause her to worry and stress while she's pregnant, whether it's my child or not...I don't want to make her worried.
Hi there,
Like Andi said, ultrasounds have a margin of error of almost a full week.  This is why they let a woman go into labor anywhere from 38 to 42 weeks - because no one can tell the EXACT date of anything that happened.  So even though the ultrasounds provided dues dates within 1 day of each other, they could still be off by almost 1 week either side of the due date.

I understand your concern.  I highly recommend a paternity test, unless you simply just want this baby and she says its yours.  You'll have to ponder that decision and decide what's right for you.  Good luck, hope this helps!
are you sure you don't mean that your first u/s was May 31st that showed at 14 weeks?
That must be a horrible feeling and I wish I had some techical answers for you. First though, have you asked your wife? There may be something you forgot, a date in question, she may be able to clear things up for you, maybe? Good luck.
So, you're saying that she was 14 weeks on March 31st and 18 weeks on June 26th?  How is that possible?  She should be about 26 weeks if the first date is correct.
I would never use size on an ultrasound to accuse someone of infidelity, especially if the difference is only about 5 days.  The embryo could have moved along slightly more slowly than standard or it could have implanted a couple of days later than people who write the charts counted on.  The charts naming baby size are a standardized measure, not a paternity proof.  It sounds to me like the baby is yours.
Do you have any other reason to doubt your wife was faithfyl. Please do not jump to conclusions and assume the baby isn't yours based on the ultrasounds.  They are not error proof.  With both my kids I knew exactly the days we had sex.  The ultrasounds showed I was 1 wk further along than would have been possible. With my 2nd pregnancy they had me 4 wks behind at the 1st ultrasound which meant I would have had a positive pregnancy test before conceiving.
i apologize ...the ultrasound was May 31st not March...sorry.
then it does sound like you're right on target - give or take a few days. don't worry, relax and just enjoy this wonderful time in your life. is your wife going to be able to be home now that she's pregnant or will she still have to be away with the navy? i hope that you get to spend the time with her so you can have all the fun and joys of pregnancy too. just be ready to run out in the middle of the night for any cravings. good luck.
actually i was thinking about it again and it really makes the most sense that you're the father. you bded probably within a 24-72 hour time frame of conception if her period was march 5th and she probably ovulated a little early. they're probably just a few days off with their calculations. Enjoy!!
I understand your concern, but I have to say I really dont think you have anything to worry about.  First of all, it would take an extremely cold and calculating woman to have unprotected sex right before she came home to her husband.  Its not like she came back four months pg.  As for her taking the test without any symptoms - thats more normal than unusual.  Ill bet every single woman on this site does it almost every moth if she just thinks she mught be pg.  And Ill bet that after spending a year away from you, your wife was ready to start a family and just excited and anticipating it.  Honestly, the nedical establishment does not know as much as it thinks it does.  There are SO MANY stories on this site alone of ridiculous mistakes in gest. age, missing twin fetuses, etc.  Just relax and try to let these doubts go.  If you are saying you dont want to stress your wife, its obvious you two have a very good relationship, dont do anything to mess it up.  Women are at our weakest during pg, and an accusation as big as infidelity will leave a scar that will probably never go away.  Estimated gest. date is not a reason to accuse someone.  I got pg with my daughter (after three years of trying) on the day I was excpecting my period, according to my dr. it was impossible to have happened then, but I know it did because my husband was abroad for three weeks and we didnt have sex till then.  He could have easily started second guessing the situation, but he would have been wrong.  Anyway, sorry about rambling, but I really think YOU are the father, and try to enjoy this time with your wife.  Im sure when the baby is born hell be looking up at you with your nose, your fathers hairline, and your unlces toes, and ll doubts will vanish:):):)
Not sure if i understand all the dates being thrown out here but i can tell you that just because a doctor says that a woman is "supposed" to ovulate 14 days after her period i know for a fact that i don't,when i had gotten pregnant with my 3rd child i know i conceived her within a 4 day span of the last day of my period,we are always using protection expect for the 1st couple of days after my period because we were "informed" that we can't get pregnant then, well they were wrong! I wish you all the best..please keep us informed.
I was scrolling down, and I want to applaud you for learning and trying to understand all this pregnancy stuff. I wish my hubby would've been so interested. I've had 4 ultrasounds out of 6 pregnancies. They've all been accurate. From my personal experience, the computer generated fetal age tends to coinside (can't think of the corrrect spelling right now) with when implantation occurred. My u/s weren't accurate based upon my last period, it was accurate based upon when I knew I ovulated and implanted. I'm one of the very few women who always has implantation bleeding.

I was trying to follow the dates you gave us. It sounds way too early for her to have ovulated, unless she has short cycles. Is there any way for you to question her about them? The 'period' she experienced may have been implantation bleeding, which would explain the date that the ultrasound's giving you.

I really hope this works in your favor. That's really awesome you're supporting her despite your doubts. BTW, does she know your concerns? Please, please, please just don't jump the gun quiet yet. Weird things do happen.
Maybe this can help put things into perspective, my LMP was Jan 22nd, the computer generated due date was October 31st based on an average of 29 day cycles. My doc's EDD has me at October 28th, which adjusted things radically (doesn't seem like much, but it throws things off a bit in early u/s). My most in depth u/s to date has my EDD right on with my doc's, even though the baby is a bit big. I am in my 24th week, your wife is only about 4 weeks behind me. She may either have longer/shorter cycles or be mistaken about her last period. If you think about it from a normal 28 day cycle, her LMP was most likely later in Feb, she ovulated right around the time you were together, and the dates match up well for that. Just about either way, it looks like the time you had sex was when she was fertile and conceived.

Again, like other ladies, I applaud your interest. But, again, like the other ladies, I do not think you have much to worry about by way of paternity. If, down the road, you have concerns, you can always ask for a test. In the interim, I think she is carrying your baby : )

Andi
FYI, your cycle day starts with the 1st day of AF, not the last day. I've gotten pg also only a couple days after AF ended, but she stayed for 6-7 days so I 'o'ed on cd 10.
thank you all...you really helped.  bless you...and please continue to help others because you have seriously helped me.
Hi, I understand your concern.  Ultrasounds are usually very accurate, with an error of a few days, but definitely not 2 weeks.  On the bright side, a woman's menstrual cycle is not always 28 days, but can realistically be as short at 21 days to have a proper ovulation.  Anything shorter than 18 or 19 days would mean that the woman didn't ovulate that month.  Ob-gyn usually add 2 weeks to the ovulation (conception) date because on average women's cycles are 28-days long.  That is not always true depending on individuals.  I myself have had cycles ranging from 14 days to 49 days, averaging about 32 days.  On those cycles of 14 days, I simply didn't ovulate.  That means your wife must have ovulated around 3/19 +/- a day or two.  However, it doesn't mean she has to have her last menstrual period on 3/5.  Since you had intercourse with her ton 3/11 which is 8 days apart from her ovulation date, it is scientifically still possible that she's carrying your kid.  However, there is definitely chances she is not.  If you are concern, politely bring up the timing to her and suggest if the doctor made a mistake, or get a test after the baby is borned.  Hope that helps.
Hi Guys, Hope you don't mind me jumping in here with a question but you seem to have a fair bit on info on the subject. I had a scan earlier this week after some light spotting which has since stopped.
I am pretty spot on with my dates(7 weeks) due to using OPK's and timed intercourse. My embryo measured about 5-6 days less than I expected but from what I've just read still sounds OK, but my question is that my gestational sac measured a week bigger than expected-which makes the difference of nearly 2 weeks between the gestational sac size and embryo size. I know having a gest sac that it too small can be a problem, but what about one that is too big?? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I have to wait a very long 10 days before I can have another scan.
I think if your sac is too small, it may indicate the the embryo is actually too small.  As for as I know, huge sac is not good either.  However, it's too early for your ob-gyn to pay serious attention to your case.  If it really bothers you, you should call your nurse.  Looks like you'll have to wait 10 days.  I know it's hard, but just wait and see.  Good luck.
By the way, there is a difference between conception date and implantation.  Conception is usually thought of as the day intercourse took place, but implantation doesn't happen until 7 to more than 13 days after intercourse.  When implantation occurs and the embryo attaches itself on the uterine wall, then 'conception' is considered 'complete.'  If your wife have a short menstrual cycle, assuming it was 3/5, she can ovulate after 6 or 7 days.  If intercourse took place on 3/11 and she ovulates, then the sperm can implant after as little as 7 days, which means the baby starts growing from there one.  The baby doesn't really start growing until implants.  If the baby implants a week earlier than average, than ultrasound would show a bigger baby.

My husband and I know exactly when we had intercourse, but it doesn't mean we are sure when I definitely ovulate despite the ovulation test since ovulation can occur 2 days after the LH surge, or immediately.  Then we can't be sure when the baby implants too.  When we got our first ultrasound to determine due date (because my cycles are irregular), it indicates a 5 ~ 6 days difference from my data.  That's almost a week.  As you can see, a week difference is very likely.  Maybe 2 weeks would be a bit too much.  However, ultrasounds are most accurate in the first trimester or right after the baby has a fetal pole.  Because later on, the baby curls up and they are have judge by the fetal development.  Maybe the baby happens to develop faster than average.

If your wife said her last menstrual period was 3/5, then it's not possible for her to be optimally fertile between 2/19 ~ 3/5, unless she got her dates wrong.
i went to my first sonar 13th April - i was 6 and a half weeks to 7 weeks pregnant then
now my Gyne says im 24+ weeks pregnant according to my calander 25 weeks on the 18th August

can anyone tell me

is my date of conception the 9/10 march or 17th March

it makes a huge diff in my life

cal me : STRESSED

I have a wustion of my own.......My lst prd was on march 18th I have had regular intercourse with my boyfriend and one day I cheated on him which happen on April 16th at midnight I am confuse in which is the father of my son. My fisr ultrasound was on May 8th and at the time they told me I was 6 wk 1dy and on June 1st had another one and they said I was 9wk 3dys. So my lst ultrasound I had was on Aug 17th and they said I was 21wks & 5days, but better of stating I was 21wks. How can I tell when I ovulated nas who is the father of my baby boy.My boyfriend been having father-to- be effects like sleepness, tired, cravings, gaining weigth, & moody can I go by that also or is that just a coincidence Can anyone help??????
JUST A REMINDER MY PERIODS WHERE VERY IRREGULAR............!!!!!
My midwives have always said that the gestational age should always be measured from the first ulttasound as they are accurate within 3 to 5 days. Any ultrasound after 12 weeks can be 2 weeks out because every baby is a different size. So from the sounds of things it sounds like you conceived very early April and you have shouldnt have anything to worry about. Hope this helps, good luck.
I have a questoin that I really need help on!! I went to my ob gyn today and had my first ultrasound. He did a quick one and just measured the head and femur. The head gave me 16weeks and 6 days, but the femur gave me 18weeks and 1 day. My period was from June 6th to June 9th.  I took a pregnancy test on June 30th and it came out negative and so did a test on July 4th, but a test on July 7th came out positive. How can I be more than 15 weeks and why are the measurements giving me different read outs? Do the doctors go by LMP and not the actual fertilization date, in that case should I trim off about 2 weeks?  Really need help cause I cheated on my boyfriend, but that was on May 30th and wouldn't the pregnancy test on June 30th come out positive if it were from May?
SOOOO CONFUSED!!!
ok, i am gonna try to explain this.. i was dating a guy until may 2007.  we had intercourse on may 9.  my period before that was on april 26 and was normal.  i then had a weird period type thing on may 23-25, which is short for me and it wasn't heavy flow at all.  i then met up with an ex and we slept together (under the influence of alcohol) on jun 2.  i took a pregnancy test on jun 26 which showed postive.  i saw a doc in early july and had a dating ultrasound on sept 6.  the ultrasound indicated that i was 16w3d.   a little history about my periods.. i have always known when i was due to start by counting 28 days.. and usually around the 14th day i start having symptoms of ovulation... but going by u/s results that would mean that i had a "period in mid may and then ovulated at end of may... this is so weird to me.. jsut doesn;t seem right at all. i am concerned b/c i want to have a c-section (actually may need one) and i don't want the docs to just think they are right and not take into consideration that my periods have been normal and i know my body and have always known when i was due to start... no amount of stress has ever made me late or early or anything like that.... advice is welcome
My Last period was September 27th. I found out I was pregnant on October 30th.(Online predictors say I concieved on Oct 15th) My first Doc visit was December 4th, she gave me a physical exam and asked if I was sure about the date of my last period, because she didnt think I was as far as I should be based on my period. My first U/S was January 4th and she said I was 13 weeks and 3 days, and the baby was 14 centimeters.

My question is, if I was further along by about a month, would it be possible to make that much of an error on the ultrasound. I made a mistake on September 13th while my husband and I were seperated and i'm worried. He says he doesnt think that I could be further without it showing up or atleast not that much further. ANY ADVICE?
I had a relation with a girl for one year.She had boyfriend and never got pregnant.LAst time she had menstruation on 28 oct last year.Her menstruation was irregular.I had intercourse with her on 9 and 10 november.I think I am the father.She was on ultra sound on 13 December{I think she could see the sac} and the doc did see nothing-as the girl told me.So she sent for blad test.The blad test was positive so the doc called her for an ultra soun on 2 January.ON the day of ultra soun the doc sad she is in week 7 +_ 3 days.Strange for me.Now she had the second ultra sound on 4 February and the seems difernet from that one from 2 january.The girl doesn't want to tell me.I think is somethink wrong, and I am the father.The girl wants to stay with her boyfriend and say him is his child even if posible mine.So in case is mine I can not be close to my child.She doesn't want me in the child's life if mine, even if in sumer she told she wants to be with me and have children.No she hates me, and I realy want to take care of child if mine but now seems imposible.What do you think?
i had sex with someone october 10th 2007. My cycle came October 25 2007 it was normal  but lasted maybe 4 days I believe. Me and my ex hooked up November 8 2007 thru the 12th of that month. I found out that I was pregnant on Dec 10th 2007. I am confused because I was wondering if I maybe became pregnant before my cycle. My first ultrasound was January 22nd I my doctor told me that I was 12wks and 3 days and I wanted to know that is it possible that I could be further along.
me and my girl had sex without protection from the 8th of nov to the 11th of nov..her period started on the 28th of oct. ended on the 1st nov. recently she went to the doctor and and got a ultra sound and the doctor measured the baby and said that the baby was concieved on the 31st of oct. is there any chance this baby is mine.
my girlfriend is pregnant she made a mistake on december 9 with another guy. she had an ultra sound on jan 31 which showed that she was 7weeks and 4days. Now i slept with her the weekend before dec9 and the weekend after could the child be mine i need to know from what i read so far it sounds like i might be i need to know because if it is mine i dont want some other guy taking care of my child I might sound like a **** but any help would be appreciated

Thank you
WHY DONT YOU JUST ASK HER? WHY DONT U ALL ASK?

You will know........... she will know?

Ask without accusing...........suggest paternity tests....... on happy terms as remember there is a child involved who COULD be yours.

Explain that if she was in YOUR shoes, she would think the same,no?

For the wife in navy guy-Ask around in the navy if u still dont believe as it is amazing what u can find out by asking around remember there is no smoke without fire.

Mistrust breeds anger, hate and then resentment

have it out in the open better the devil u all know
My wife is pregnant. We were apart all of December. She tells me she is pregnant on February 10 and her last LMP was January 8. The u/s says she is 14 weeks on April 4 and has been given a due date of October 2. By these numbers the baby goes back to December 27. She had her cell phone number changed when we got back together and when she told me she was pregnant she stated "You are the father of my child". Im very suspicious. Is this my child?
"By these numbers the baby goes back to December 27"

Actually, by these numbers her period is what goes back to December 27th, not conception.  These dates put conception around January 10th.  Were you sleeping together again by the beginning of January?

http://www.intmed.mcw.edu/clincalc/pregnancy.html

She said her last period was January 8th.
ok i wouldn't flip out yet, I was told my due date was on June 16th at my first u/s at 6 weeks!  I went back for an ultrasound at 19 weeks and they gave me the same date....guess what I just had another u/s at 32 weeks and found out that my due date is really  June 6th!! this is 9days difference, you can never be sure with an ultrasound..ever! I would however demand a paternity test after the baby is here, she will be upset even if she is not lying to you but should agree if she is telling the truth! you should just relax for now and enjoy this pregnancy, you can never get this time back!
but i do have to say 2 weeks is not a very long time to wait after having sex to take a pregnancy test if you don't have any symptoms! it usually takes at least 10 days to show up !
Randy,
She might not be 100% sure her period was.  Sometimes we have a lot on our minds and lose track of our periods, especially if they're not very regular.  Also keep in mind that an ultrasound has a margin of error of 1 week, and that margin of error increases as the pregnancy progresses - meaning, an ultrasound at 14 weeks is less accurate than an ultrasound much earlier in pregnancy.    So, it could be off by a week and put conception around January 17th or so.  Ultrasounds are not an exact science.

If her last period was truly on January 8th, then her next period would have been due somewhere around February 5th.  If by February 10th she had not gotten her period, then any reasonable woman would realize she might be pg if she'd been having unprotected sex with her husband.

I think you're looking for trouble where there is none.
Please I AM STRESSING AND NEED SOME ADVICE! (=

Broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years had "goodbye sex" through Feb. 17-19.....Then I went on Vacation after that to Hawaii and had a one-night stand on Feb. 28...

I found out I was pregnant and on Monday, April 21 got my first Ultra Sound that said I was 8 weeks and 3 days.....My periods are VERY irregular (sometimes i dont get one)

When did I concieve (conceive) this baby??  Dr's are being unhelpful. PLEASE HELP! = /
When were your last 2 periods and how far apart are they? Knowing that will help a bit... You can message me if you'd like....
I’m a first time mom and Drs have been less then helpful. So here’s my story, Me and my husband separated, in the month of may I met a guy and began dating. Somewhere between the 5th and the 10th of May we ended up sleeping together and the condom broke. I can not remember the exact date. Around the 10th or so me and my husband ended up trying to work things out and get back together and we were having unprotected sex regularly for the rest of the month of may.. In mid June I took a pregnancy test that showed positive. I went in for my ultrasound (Aug 1st) and they gave me the due date of February 22nd. My dr never informed me of the day I conceived. According to my calculations it would be somewhere around the last week of May? If anyone else’s calculations are different please let me know.  I just wanted to make sure that my husband is the father. If the ultrasound was correct then that would make him the father correct. It’s just really stressing me out and my Drs keep warning me of the dangers of stress during pregnancy. It would help a lot to get this off my mind. Any input would be great! Thank you
Sarah
me and my ex had sex on august 27th she end up finding out she was pregnant like sept 9th I was told I was the dad end up telling my parents and everyone then she turned around and said it might not be mine she just had her first ultrasound today it said she is 7 1/2 weeks me and her would of been 6 weeks now first she has a condition where she is always ovulating and has a high egg count I guess what I am asking is that is to close for confront is there a chance the ultrasound could be wrong and she is actually 6 weeks not 7 1/2 this is eating me alive keep in mind this doctor has messed up once allready about something.  Thanks for your help
On Sept 30th I had an ultrasound by my doctor and was told that I was 7weeks and some days right at 2months just about. This was a shock to me considering I wasnt excepting to be that far along. Im not sure if he told me the actual gestation age or the fetal age. Its important that I know because  I had intercourse with my steady boyfriend at the time the latter part of July then I moved out of town. I thought I had a menstrual cycle in august (around august 16th) but it was a little early and came and left before it was supposed to start for that month. A week later I (the last week of august) I had intercourse with someone else. I found out by home pregnancy test that I was pregnant Sept 22nd I assumed I was 4-5 weeks when I went to my first doctors visit. He gave me a due date of May 14th and when I asked when supposed conception was he said aug 20th which incorrect way to early for the latter guy and too late for the boyfriend. Who is most likely the father? HELP!
hi...i cuddled up 2 sum1 29th feb the night before my period was due "was very drunk and passes out' to my nollage nothing happened...i guess im saying im scared that guy may have taken advantage of me...anyways the next morning i woke up with my period 1st march 2008...this lasted 3 or 4 days but i usually have a short period so didn't doesn't really worry me....me and my partner had sex a fair bit throughout the month of march....on march 26 i found out i was pregnant..then i had an U/S on 24 april stating i was 7w 2d' pregnant...my cycle is a 27 day cycle. I know you are supposed to to take two weeks off how far you are so i would have of really been 5w 2 days....According  to and ovulation website...i ovulated around the 14-15-16-17th of march....does this all sound right, does this sound like my partners baby?.....just say for eg that guy did take advantage of me do u think it could be his?....i know this sounds a little far fetched but it is sumthing that does upset me a little...that and the fact i could have been raped! please help!!!
ps my due date is 9th of dec 2008
Ok....

So my story is I've had a boyfriend for three years, we were engaged and had sex consistantly, besides 7 months when he was away, but I never got pregnant. We recently broke up at the end of November, around the 20th. I had my period from Oct 15 to Nov 1, it ended, but then came back on and off until Nov 15. Before this, my periods have always been ridiculously normal, I went to the doctor , had an ultra sound, took a pregnancy test and everything came back normal. I don't know if it was stress or whatever, but I had my period for about three weeks on and off from oct to nov.  We broke up, and I had sex with somebody else for the first time, without protection on the 1st of December. Then, on the fourth, realizing this was a mistake, I confessed and my ex and I got back together, and from the 4th on, we pretty much had a lot of sex every day. Around Christmas, I started feeling extremely nausious, and took a pregnancy test, and to my surprise, it came out positive.  My boyfriend and I have wanted a baby for a long time, but it is so hard to be happy about something when I am not even sure, and I'm feeling so depressed about this. I took a blood test, which said I was at least 5 weeks pregnant as of Jan 6th, TODAY, which means 3 weeks from conception, which would make the date around the 16th of DECEMBER, which makes it definite that its my boyfriends. However, I didn't know there was a difference between conception and actual pregnancy dates, and I told my boyfriend, and now he is so upset and doesnt want to talk to me. I know it's terrible to think, but Im just wondering how accurate are the conception dates and the pregnancy test, and my first ultrasound is on the 12th, and will that help me to determine this. I don't want to wait 9 months to take a paternity test, but im going Crazy!! Does anyone have some advice.
Unfortunately, you are going to have to wait the nine months to find out for sure, nothing but this will be 100% accurate.
Ok, so I know that due date is based on LMP.. which adds the  week a woman is on her monthly flow to a pregnancy when the egg wasn't even fertalized...ie.' it was a egg (still in ovaries) This could be where the confusion is coming in. Being your thinking conception occured when you weren't there but really it's just the week your wife was having aunt flow that's being added to the conception date. I know it is possible for women to get pregnant during a menstral cycle being that women's ovulation times can very a lot and not go by then norm. I would guess most likely it's your baby and that the confusion is the week being added from start date of period.  Look into this it's really confusing.. I was extremely confused and I was tracking all of my dates to the T because of miscarriages.. It took me a few sites before I was able to figure all of this out..
If you go by your last period you need to add a couple of weeks because you would've ovulated and become pregnant 2 weeks after your last period. but some women don't always ovulate like clockwork hence she prolly ovulated early and right when you guys did the deed. Good luck and best wishes.
PLEASE HELP! ANYONE!
I am currently in a terrible situtation! And I can only give so much informations, as doctors and I couldnt figure out the first day of my last period...so he just guessed. My partner had intercourse for the last time before breaking up on the 9th August 2008. A week later (8days later to be exact) on the 17th August I slept with someone else. Just once. Then on the 20th August my partner and I got back together, and had intercourse on that same day. I did a pregnancy test on the 4th September 2008 and it showed up positive. My first ultrasound was on the 15th Sept and the result said 6weeks + or - 3days. My due date has been givin to me as 17th May 2009 (NOT FAR AWAY!) Is anyone able to give me a clearer idea of what ive got myself into?? Im so worried and I stress so much about it. And its a big issue for me as my partner doesnt know I slept with someone else during our week or so apart. It will break his heart...PLEASE HELP ME!
Good luck.I think the Baby is yours. Just sit back and relax.
I have made some mistakes in my past.. haven't we all.
But i'm trying to figure out who the father of my baby is...
The due date I was given at a 11 week ultrasound was September 20th.. If I am right, I would have conceived somewhere at the end of december possibly the very beginning of January. This is who I believe is the father of my baby ... however. I had sex with someone on Jan 10th.. putting my due date at Oct 3rdish. And I had sex with someone December 6th putting my due date at around August 25th. Should I be confident of who I think the father to my baby is? or Should I be worried?

Please help me figure this out...

~Shandi
My calculated due date based on my LMP is Nov. 13th. My first ultrasound gave me a due date of Nov. 14th and my second gave me due dates of Nov. 10th and 15th based on measurements. These ultrasounds were all done in the first 9 weeks.  I had a 3-D ultrasound today and based on their measurements they say my due date is Nov. 1st.  Which due date is more accurate??  I've read that ultrasounds in the first 12 weeks are more accurate than those done later.  I'm wondering if I'm just carrying a larger baby and that's why the measurements gave a due date of almost 2 weeks earlier.  I'm just curious.  This is my first baby and I'm just wondering when to expect her to make her arrival.  
okay, so the first day of my last period was august 16, 2009. I am either 7 or 8 weeks pregnant and trying to figure out the date of conception, the day the official sex happened. There are two possible fathers and I reeeeeally want some answers. Here is some information, I'll separate them as boy 1 and boy 2, please tell me who you think is the father based on this information:
august 27: boy1
august 31-september4: boy2
september8-12: boy1

please help. boy2 was my boyfriend of 3 years and I'm really hoping that it is his because I don't want to be tied to the other boy for the rest of my life. tell me what you think

-desperate4answers
Okay so here is my question to anyone who can help me out!! This has been killin me ever since I found out I was PG. My first day of my last period was aug 1. It lasted until the 5ht or 6th of aug. Which here is a history about my periods. I was on the DEPO shot for a long period of tim ein my teenage years and I got off of it. never had my period ever so I finally went to the doctor to get on BC to help get it regulated.

Anyways.... I made a HUGE mistake of cheating on my husband (which he was no at the time just my FI) on Aug 14th and we used protection the first time around we made sure it didn't break. He went to the bathroom threw it away washed up and came back into his bed. About a hour or so later we started messing around again and for god knows forr some reason I had him stick it in me for litterlay a min without a condom!!! He was no were near ejaculation I told him to stop and he did and we finished by just messing around and he finished in his hand. Then on Aug 16 my husband and I had make up sex because we got into a HUGE fight we never use protection EVER!!! We were together before I cheated on him also that week. I took a PG and it was positive! I was soo happy and for some god knows reason it poped into my head that it could be this other mans! SO I was freaking out! I went to the Doctor to confrim I was PG and they told me my probable conception date was Aug 15! I was with no one on the 15th!!!! So they gave me a ultra sound on Sept 24th and the said i was 7wks 5days along! This makes no sence to me!!! I am so confused on what to do! All my friends say its my husbands and I really want to beilve it is but why does everyone keep tellin me the conception date is AUG 15!?!?!?!? Please can anyone help me because the doctors are not helping me out any and this whole thing is killing me!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!
sorry I left out from my post above that I stopped taking birth control the first week of july because we were on a camping trip and I just missed a whole bunch so I just stopped. Then I got my period july 7th or 8th and I don't remeber how long that one lasted but I had my last period before I got pregnant! So does that mean my cycle is only 25 to 26 whatever is called or what!! Because if that's the case wouldn't that change everything when I concived and what not? PLEASE HELP!
I am by Gestational age 9w1d today and well my EDD according to my ultrasound is June 18, 2010. I don't know exactly when my period began but I told the dr. Sept 11, 2009. I need to know what day conception really occurred on I had sex on the 20th Sept, and 22 of September. Need help please?   And how long was I actually prego for?
hi..i have my menstrual period on dec 1 2009...i have sex with my parner many times and i cant remember what days he came inside of me but he def did many times ..on dec 15 "my ovulation day"i had sex with my ex boyfriend but he didnt come inside of me, he pulled off..i continuedhaving sex with my partner .on january 2 i find out i was pregnant.. i dont know if my partner is the father or i get pregnant from my exboyfriend precum..please can yo help me to figuer out..DO U THINK I SHOULD BE CONCERN WITH MY PARTNER NOT BEING THE FATHER??
Sorry, I know it has been a long time since you posted, but I thought I'd post just in case you haven't gotten an answer yet.  Below is a website that gives many possible dates if you just put in the date of her last period.  I don't think the dates add up.  Sorry dude.  I wish you would have updated us after the fact to let us know what ended up happening.

http://www.askdramy.com/ovulationcalc.html
im having a problem regarding my pregnancy. my husband refuses to acknowledge the child my carrying now as his.
my husband works abroad. he came home last dec 24. my last period was dec 7.  I had a pregnancy test last jan 14 and it was positive. My husband was a bit surprised why that fast and started to have doubts about it.
i had my first ultrasound last jan 22. the result was 5 weeks and 6 days.My husband was surprised and started to insult me of who the father is. This is really difficult. This is really affecting my pregnancy and the marriage. I had to repeat the ultrasound two weeks after. I had it last Feb 6.Im 8 weeks pregnant base on it.
And so my husband wouldn,t believe me that I didnt cheat on him. And he has decided not to acknowledge this child. Im really sad right now. I dont know how long this marriage will last. I dont know how things will go in the next days, weeks and months.

PLease pray for me.
ok so my husband was gone from september 09 untill december 15th 2009. since he's been back i've been gaining weight and become very emotional. my friends kept saying oh you're pregnant but i thought it was impossible because when my husband came home in december i started my birth control. i did not have my period because of this. on march 29th 2010 i took a pregnancy test and i was positive. i  couldnt get into get my first u/s untill today april 29th 2010. The u/s says i'm 21.5 weeks....is this right? it seems that it is off by a week or so. i know that my husband is the only person i have been with. could the u/s be off a bit because of how far along i am before getting an initial u/s
okay so me and my boyfriend started having sex on march 27th and its now april 30th i found out i was pregnant and when i went for an ultra sound yesterday they told me i was 6 weeks pregnant .. now hes sayin it cant be his because we only started havin sex 4 weeks ago but the issue is i havent had sex with anyone else since february and ive had two periods since so it has to be his... but we dont understand ..can anyone help me out with this
i need to know who the father on my son is I had sex with the guy am currently dating October 16th and 17th and he ejaculated I took plan b on the 18th . And then on October 23rd like around 11pm I had sex with my ex boy friend. I took the plan b on the 24th like in the afternoon .the last day of my period was October 1 2009. I found out I was pregnant October 30 help me ?..
my last menstrual period was around august 26th 2009. i am currently 39 weeks pregnant...which is going by the ultrasounds. the first ultrasound i got i was about 6 or 7 weeks pregnant. they said my due date was june 7th. then the next one i got i was about 12-15 weeks not sure exactly but they said i was due june 2nd. i had sex with my ex in august and in september quite often. we had sex i believe on september 8th and 9th and 13th and 17th and 18th. but then i started seeing someone else and we had sex on the 26th of september. and the 5th of october. is the ultrasound accurate and if it is would i be pregnant by my ex or the guy i had sex with on september 26th? they said i was more then likely to have conceived on september 9th but is that accurate? and if i had sex on september 26th and it was his baby then how far would i be if it wasnt my ex's? i ddint get my period in september at all.
Hey I'm loving the responses so I have a question of my own...I had my first ultrasound sayin I was 7 wks and a day which would put conception right on the day I had unprotected intercourse...two days after I had intercourse I took the 72 hr pill and still ended up pregnant...I did have intercourse the week before but the condom came off inside of me is it possible that I could've gotten pregnant then?? I tell myself no but then I got a 3d ultrasound at 28 wks and it kind of looks like him...(the guy I had protected sex with) this has really been driving me insane...let me kno what u think..
not to be rude but im new at this  first time for everything now my issue is  i went for u/s today so nov 29  doc sais im like 8weeks 4 days ... but the last time i saw my man was sept 11  and i returned to his place around the 9th of oct .. now honestly that dont pan out with the u/s n im seriously concered  could he be wrong ...  could my actions prior to know  pregnancy effect  the size of the fetus??? im confused ny info would be awsome
I have tried several different forums with no answer. I have researched tirelessly. I am desperate for an answer.

Simple version scenario: My boyfriend and I broke up. After a few months I had a one night stand (around Aug. 31). A week later my boyfriend and I got back together and had unprotected sex in which he ejaculated inside of me (Sept. 4). A month later the test comes back positive. My boyfriend and I get married. I didn't get an ultrasound until what the tech said was my 17th week. Using online calculators and every other resource I can find, that puts me at conceiving a couple to a few days BEFORE my boyfriend/now husband and I had sex. What are the chances that it is his baby versus the one night stand's? Also, it's a girl...so according to all that charting stuff is more likely days after sex than right on time. Which leans me toward the other guy. Answers? Advice?
I had sex with a girl, i used a condom the first time, then the second time i did not, but i did not finish. this was in March 29, 2008. This was the only time i ever had sex with her. 1 weeks later she said she missed her period and thought she was preg, (but stated she had taken the morning after pill the next day of sex). She then states she had the baby early due to complications, she gave birth on Nov 15, 2008. The baby is now 2yrs old and looks nothing like me, she refuses a dna test, cz she says i know its mine, but i dont..by the dates given could this be my child?
My son (19) had a one night stand on Oct. 25 but as of the doctors calculations from the ultrasound and measuring the young girls (19) belly he says she is 19 wks as of Feb.21.....but from Oct. 25 to Feb. 21 is only 17wks.....can the ultrasound be that far off? and if the date of conception actually takes place a few days after the actual sex act then it should be somewhere in the 16 wk range. I am just wanting to make sure before I go investing alot of time and money into this situation. Also, because she is saying that she is not going to let him have anything to do with the child and I want to be a part of my grandchild's life it actually is my grandchild. My son says that he has heard that she had slept with a couple other people around the same time but I would rather base my decision on what to do around facts.......Please Help !!
I wouldn't be concerned too much, the age of the fetus is not based on conception date, but the date of your last period.  You can actually ask the doctor when conception occurred and they can usually give you an accurate date.  I am 4 months pregnant as of march 16th, my doctor calculated that date of conception was mid december, if I calculated my due date based upon my conception date I would only be 3 months and way off.  They now calculate it based upon the woman's last day of her menstrual cycle, which was in november, this is why you may be concerned.  But, if you seriously believe that your wife is capable of cheating, then I would have a paternity test because it will always bug you until you get confirmation.
i found out i was pregnant in january around the 4th week i had a u/s saying it was to early to date under six weeks i was sexually assualted on the 31st of dec new years eve, but ive been with my partner 5 and a half years. online today 7/4/11 my u/s dates say im due 21/09/11 is it my partners. the dating was by measurement not my last period as i havent had a period for over 9 months as im irregular please help. online calultor says con date is 29th of dec
I had an ultrasound 2 days ago and according to my last menstrual cycle (3/6/11) I would have technically been 7 weeks, 3 days along, although the baby isn't gestationally that far along because of the two week "jump start" you get when calculating due dates. The tech who did the ultrasound asked me how far along I was and said I'm not as far along as I think. It really through me for a loop because this pregnancy was planned for months. I stopped BC pills 3 months prior and kept track of my cycle. The month we wanted to conceive was March, giving me a due date of December 11th. I figured out the range of when I should ovulate and then on day 10 or 11 of my cycle (can't rememeber) I started using the ovulation sticks. On the 5th day of testing I got a surge in the LH hormone which means I should release an egg in the next 24-36 hours. For the next 2 days we tried to get pregnant. This was March 20 and 21st. On March 31st I got a faint positive line and on April 1st I took a digital test which said I am pregnant.

The tech says the gestational age is 5 weeks, 5 days. At first I thought she was referring to the actual age of the baby (not counting those two weeks) but she shook her head no. I left the appt. so confused and with many questions. She attributed it to "your body can do weird things. Maybe you ovulated late" - but I know when I ovulated and I'm pretty sure I felt the implantation happening around the 4th day after when I think we conceived. It usually takes 7-10 days to implant, but I have read it can take as little as 3-4 days for some. So the tech says I'm actually due at the end of December. I was really bummed because now I'm going backwards and I have a lot longer to go to get the "safe point" of about 11-12 weeks. I have been worried a little about miscarrying, as I have a heart-shaped uterus.

Is it possible for the ultrasound to be inaccurate this early? And does the gestational age it calculates relate to the actual growth of the fetus from when it began growing? That's where I'm confused.
Ok here's my problem in feburary I have sex with 2 men #1 was only once on feb 19 #2 was maltiple times at least 2 times a wk. For the whole month my due date is nov 19 that put my conseption date at feb 26 witch man wld this babys daddy b than thanks
Can an ultrasound be off 2 weeks? The test was taking within the 7th week.
you can call me YOUNG GUY.. on from april to may 25 we had been having u/s with my girl. and then on may 25 we broke up and i heard that she had u/s with other guys.. then i heard frrom my frend that she is pregnant and the ultrasound said it was 10wks on july 20th thats why im not sure if its my baby or not.. but on may 25th i know she did have a menstural period im kust not sure if thats an actual menstruation or a bleeding from implantation please help because  i really want to be a responsible father if it would be my kid
its me again young guy.. i would like to let you know that her menstrual cycle is very irregular
i had sex on january 15th with my boyfriend then not really sure of my period but i think it came on jan 26th then i had sex with and old friend on feb 9th and then my boyfriend again feb 28th when my first ultrasound was here on april22nd i measured to be 12weeks then the next ultrasound on june 15th measured 19weeks duedates stayed the same november 2nd so like who do u think is the father
hi, I just wanted to add my 2 cents in lol.. If you really love your wife and want to be with her, then you should enjoy this pregnancy as if you KNOW for a fact that its yours and then get a Test afterwards if it looks like its not yours because this WILL affect your WHOLE marriage if your wife thinks you thought that of her and it wasnt true.. It sounds to me like it is yours.. I couldnt remember when my last period was because I was just enjoying life with my husband and the doctors are saying that the conception date was around the 15th or 16th of January for our baby girl and I know that I was staying with my dad for a few days during the beginning of January then I came home about the mid of january and I came home for a few days on New Years which is the beginning of january and had sex with my husband.. So i dont think that they can accurately tell the definate age of the fetus only cuz I might be a week further along then they think only cuz I know that my husband is the only 1 I have been with so dont go just by what the sonogram says, EVERY baby grows differently.. cuz if their right then my baby is gonna be a small baby if there saying that it is the 16th for the conception date according to the size of my baby from the ultrasounds, I personally think i might be a week or two later for the conception date then they think, but were not sure.. Idk if im saying this right, but my baby is gonna be small if there saying that this is the right date, but if its a week or two difference then its just that they think im further then i am.. either way just love your wife and HER child (although it sounds like its your of course) unconditionally if you really love her UNLESS she gives u reason to think otherwise.. I lost a baby due to stress when i got prego the first time and now im completely stress free with my life with my husband, so just enjoy it and help her to enjoy it..
My second ultrasound is right
Can the result for ultrasound out by 5 weeks???she miss her period on aug n we have sex on 27 sept.. She took the ultrasound and the GA is 11 weeks n the edd is 25 may 2012
The gestational age now, November 8 or 9, is 11 weeks?  If so, it would not be from sex on September 27.
This whole LMP and sono date is really confusing. Im even more concerned because i have gallbladder stones and need to be removed. The specialist said it has to be done before the 30 weeks. Based on my LMP I am 30 weeeks so you might see my concern. The sono is putting me at 28 weeks. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
If there is anyone out there who can help me out, please do so. Its crazy how many people go through what I am..

Well lets start off by saying im pregnant, duh.

Had a period Aug 23 ,2011 or 24. Still iffy about it.

Had sex Aug 28 unprotected but i ended it abruptly because i was uncomfortable and was completely turned off so he didn't have a chance to finish , Sept 3(with condom and used the pull out method) he was very cautious..Then Sept 8-12 unprotected and a whole lot during that weekend plus there were times we would go and he would not urinate at all.. I am currently 11 weeks and 6 days based on the sonogram i had Oct 24
But that would put my period to be Aug 21. Does anyone know when my most likely chances of getting pregnant are based on my info? I think about it 24/7 and feel I got pregnant Sept 8-12 but have my doubts. Please give opinions. Thanks
Hi, I know this may sound stupid, but I'm 22 weeks pregnant and only just lately started to worry over who the father is, I had a night with this boy when me and my partner split up, we dint have proper sex as we didn't have protection. A few days after I met him again and we had sex with a condom, I went away 4 the weekend after and didn't see him again, after my weekend away I splet with my partner again (as we made up) which we didn't use protection. A week or so after I done a negative preg test and came on my period the same day 10th june 2011. Then after my period I only slept with my partner no1 else. Now on the 9th july I found out I was pregnant, my blood test said I was 4 weeks anmd was mesuring right. On my dating scan at 13 weeks my crl dated 14 3 days which was dating my pregnancy like 3 days b4 my period? 4 sum reason I am worryin about who the father is, I want it to be my partner so so much and I know deep down it must be cos its impossible to be the other boy as used protection and had a period. Some1 please help me as I can't stop worrying ovver it :'(
I wonder what ever happened in this case...
ok i have a question. march 20th was my last menstrual cycle and i conceived on april 4 but i had a one nite stand with a friend on april 12th, is it possilbe that my friend is the father or my long term boyfriend??? please help me understand how it works!!!1
Hi im pregnant now but i have s problem i had sex with my current boyfriend on Aug13 & Aug14 then i had sex with my ex boyfriend on Aug25 but then i had my period on Aug26 but it normally last for 5-6 days this time it only last 2 days which guy is the father
The first. Ultrasound I had they told me I was 6wks an 1day an this was on 18 of nov now I just had an ultrasound done jan31 2012 ultrasound stated I was 19.5wks an my baby is due june21 do u think it could be right or not my nurse said I concieved oct 7 11 now they saying I concieved 29Th of sept my lmp was the 23th of sept
I had sex with my wife on the 19 september 2011 the doc said she conceive the baby on the 1 october 2011
I have regular contact with my boy friend. But I cheated on February 4, 2012. I got pregnant. March 19, 2012 u/s impression that I'm on 8 weeks. I want to know if the father of my child is my boy friend? Hope you help me.
Ok I went to the doctor and fount out I was pregnant then on march 26 I fount out I was 11 weeks a a few days meaning I got pregnant middle to end January.....but my periods always come on the 15 or 26 of each month and I was sure I got pregnant end of January to early February can ultrasounds be off a week or can my baby just be big?
I had sex with ma girl friend on 7/7/12 who said her last mentsrual flow was on 4/7/12. When did a US scan the gestational age was 5week + 2 days. Could the pregnancy be mine?