Maternal & Child Community
How big was your 'baby belly' at 5 months(21 weeks) pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm 21 weeks/5 months i'm about 180 but on a muscular frame, I started out 150. I had not lost the weight from tyhe miscarriage I had in May I got pregnant again in June. My belly is there but the baby seems so low, I'm having a boy, I can feel my uterus at my belly button, but my belly still doesn't look like it's 5 months, is this normal, I'm 5'7 and 180lbs

Thanks you guys are wonderful :-)
I feel the same way.  Although sometimes I DO look 5 months along, sometimes I dont.  Its really weird.  With my 1st DS I was big at 5 months.  Seems like this time I am carrying different (like more in the back) or something.  I dont know what the case is.  Not really sure how much weight I have gained....I am always too scared to look.  I gues not too much since I havent gotten told by the dr to watch what i am doing.  I am 22 weeks 1 day today!  Are you feeling movement??  I think the taller you are the longer it takes to show with a big belly cause there is more room in there.  Me, I am 5' 1" and I show quickly.  My dr said that it is because I am so short the baby has nowhere to go.
I didn't show until 6 1/2 mos.  Mine at 5 months was really really low and only looked like a little bump.....

I was sure I was having a boy...then the u.s tech said...nope girl...
Everyone who saw me in the malls...said boy too.  I really think it depends on your body....how you carry any child.

I'm small...I was 112 before pregnancy...5'3"...lost 9 lbs early on but gained it back quick....ended at 130 at 9months....

I looked like I had a beach ball at the end....between 6-9months I grew so much...I can't believe it...and no stretch marks...thank the good LORD
I am currently 20 weeks and 4 days. I am only 5 foot 2 and I have gained about 6 pounds but every bit of it shows because there is no where else for the baby to go. However I have a friend that is 5 7 and she is also 20 weeks and you can't even tell she is pregnant. Hope this helps.
I am also 22 weeks along, and showing!!! I had a M/C in March and then was prego again by the end of June.
I showed right away..I think it was cause this is my 2nd baby and cause of the m/c.
I was 156 something when i got prego and now I am 166
No stretch marks???  Did you do anything in particular?  I know my stretch marks will be bad.  My Mom has terrible ones and I have them on my thighs from growing.  I'm almost 5'10" and very slim.  I have a feeling I will get them...  Yikes!!!
I didn't do anything really.  cocoa butter on my belly a few times a day but I didn't gain much weight...only 16-17lbs from my initial weight.  I had no weight gain anywhere on my body except my belly...it just kept getting bigger and bigger - lol

It hurt actually because the skin was so stretched but no stretch marks...lots of lotion and moisturizing soaps.
at 21 weeks I was just starting to think about telling people (with number 2 that is with number one I wasn't even showing yet)

I am 100 pounds ish

and with number two you could see a little belly if you knew what I normally looked like at 21 weeks
You reaIly can not tell that i am pregnant.  My belly looks more like a gut. I am really concerned about my weight.  I was already 171 before I got pregnant and I now weigh 184.  I am 5 6.  I am 21 weeks along in my pregnancy.  I will for sure gain more with a growing baby.  From this point on what would you say is a healthy amount of weight to gain from this point on, taking into concederation I was already over weight before I got pregnant.
I was about 30 weeks before you could really tell I was pregnant.  I didnt need maternity clothes at 21 weeks.  Dont worry, the belly will come.  It seemed like it doubled in size over night...every night from 30-40 weeks.
I didn't really start showing until 20 weeks...I didn't wear maternity clothes, but I have to say that I caught up really quickly after that.... I started at 138 and now I am 183.....ahhhhhhh!!!! It is really scary I can't even believe how much I gained.....I am also measing 35 weeks and I am actually 34 weeks...so go figure!!!
Jacquie
GL girls!!!
I think everybody is different in the way they gain weight and show in pregnancy. I am 21 weeks, just over 5'5'' and I have gained about 13 lbs. The weight gain just happened recently as up until week 19 I had only gained about 7 lbs. My Doctor was not worried and as long as you try to exercise a bit- go ahead and be guilt free and dont worry too much about the weight.
IT'S FUNNY, I AM THE EXACT SAME AS STEPHD. I AM 5FT EVEN AND 6 MONTHS AND ONE WEEK ALONG. I CAN'T LOOK AT THE SCALE WHEN I GO TO THE DOCTORS. THE ONLY THING WITH ME IS THAT I GAINED 10 POUNDS IN MY FIRST TRIMESTER DUE TO BEING SOOO TIRED. THEN I LOST 5 POUNDS WHEN I STARTED EXCERSIZING.
ALL I CAN SAY, IS THAT WE ARE A LITTLE DIFFERENT. USUALLY ITS HEREDITARY. SO LOOK AT PICS OF YOUR MOM, GRANDMOTHER, AUNTS, ECT. I AM 6 MONTHS AND A WEEK BUT FEEL AND LOOK LIKE I AM LITTLE FURTHER ALONG. (MAY BE ALL IN MYHEAD). DON'T FEEL BAD ABOUT NOT BEING FAT YET, LOL. YOU'LL GET THERE. BUT WHEN YOU DO GET BIG, BE PROUD OF THAT BUMP!!
I'm exactly like you. I'm also just over 5'5" and 21 weeks. I've also gained 13 pounds. This is my first pregnancy, so it's nice to hear there's someone else out there like me. I'm a worrier and now I feel that I don't have to worry! :)
Everyone was different- I didn't really start to show until about 6-7 months, and even at full term I didn't look that pregnant!  All it looked like for me was that I had gained weight... so frustrating because you're like "No! I'm pregnant!"  Good luck!  =D
Everyone is different.... I am 21 weeks and 1 day and I am showing but only if I wear a tight shirt... If I wear a big shirt no one would notice... I am 5'6 and I weighed 121 lbs at my last visit last month... I eat like crazy but I dont feel like I have gained any weight... I still feel skinny mini lol... I also get my ultrasound tomorrow to find out what I'm having... I hope its a girl!!!
I will be 21 weeks exactly on this Friday 5/9. I am 5'3, I started at 143lbs and due to extreme morning sickness I went down to 130 in my first trimester. My last dr. appt. was on 4/30 and I am back up to 140lbs, thank God and I also found out I am having a girl!!!!!! :-) , exactly what I wanted. The baby weighs a little over 12oz but I really don't look pregnant unless I have on a tight shirt, but people especially co-workers wouldn't have believed I was pregnant if I hadn't showed all my u/s pictures, so go figure. It just looks like I have a gut or have ate a big meal and I am carrying low. So I defintely feel every woman's pregnancy is different
with my first child it took forever to show i think I was about 5 months along beore my belly started growing at all and it wasn't until around 7 months that people really knew i was pregnant. I am now 14 weeks pregnant with baby #4 (my 6th pregnancy but lost 2) and look more like 4-5 months along. I think thats just the way it goes. Your skin has to slowly stretch and the more babies you have the easier it will be to show the skin is already stretched out.
Hi there, just found this forum by chance!! I wasnt very big at 5 months, infact i wasnt really showing at all!
Im almost 30 weeks now and i dont seem to be showing much yet either. i was quite big before i was pregnant and still seem to jsut look fat rather than pregnant!! Other people say you can notice a little but not for being almost 7 months pregnant and youd certainly jsut think i was a bigger lady if you didnt know i was pregnant!!! This is my first baby so I dont really know what to expect!! My sister in law has just given birth to twins and she was tiny, she looked pregnant but not until she was around 7-8 months gone and definatley didnt look like it was twins!!! Now they are here and arent that small (just under 6lb each) so goodness knows where they were hiding!! I think my little man is hiding too!!
hey.... i am 20 weeks 5 days pregnant and I am showing but I am still small. I am 5'8" and pre pregnancy I weighed 125, but now i weigh 138. I heard that if you are on the smaller side you tend to gain more weight and my doctor does not seemed concerned with my weight gain so I just take it as a free pass to keep doing what I am doing. I am all belly and breasts so it is obvious I am pregnant, especially because I was so little before I got pregnant. People just cant tell how far along I am because I am small to be 5 months, but I have a cute baby bump. I love it personally.
I am 21 weeks and i am about 5'3. This is my 3rd boy and it was totally different from the other 2. I started out at about 124 lbs had extreme morning sickness and dropped down to 115 lbs within my first two months. I am only 118 right now. I am definitely carrying towards the back because you cant see my bump unless it is right after i eat then it swells! LOL I would say if you were overweight prior to becoming pregnant again, remember over eating is still over eating- babies can live off of stored fats and vitamins without you indulging excessively in every food you "crave"- this is my opinion. Just be careful because once that baby comes you do not want to have to spend years trying to get back to pre-pregnancy weight. Pregnancy is tough as it is- trust your body and remember moderation is key being pregnant or not.
HI everyone,

I am 21 weeks 1 day and I am having a great time. I am in the military and still PT each morning but only 4 days a week. Still, I am gaining quickly. I didnt have morning sickness so I had no problem gaining the 1st trimester. I am 5'6" and I started at 140 and I am now at 160. I look fit everywhere but belly and boy is it BIG. By the way, I am having a boy. I have another son who is 7 yo. And I am much bigger with this little guy. i hope my gaining slows at this point. With my first I only gained 28 pounds total. Good luck everyone and keep up the exercise. It will help you recover after birth. It only took me a few months to recover the first time. :)
i was pregnant with twins. when i was 21 weeks i measured 32 weeks. i was ENORMOUS. that was 3 weeks before i was put on bedrest. i waddled. i put penguins to shame with my waddle.
I am 19 weeks now, and 5'3". I was 131lb when I started and last time I went to the docs was 136lbs! I thought I was keeping pretty tiny  - not on purpose what I thought was good genetics - until a lady goes wow your huge are you having twins? I still can't tell if she was just a snob or what because tons of people I know still can't tell I am pregnant! I look like I just had a turkey dinner! I have really cut my exercise since I have been pregnant which I know is horrible - I have just been exhausted so I use all my energy just to get through University and work! I want to start this week, my doc said it was fine, to try some good exercises just to keep my legs and arms toned and keep in a little shape! Any good pregnant exercises that you recommend?
I am currently 21 weeks preg and im 5'7". My pre pregnancy weight was 155 and now im 161. I only gained 6 pounds. I guess the taller you are the longer it takes for the belly to show because my belly is just starting to show now
hi, im 21 weeks and 3 days pregnant with baby number 4. im not showing at all.iv gained 3kg and i can feel the baby kicking so i no everything is well but i cant wait to show. i love a big pregnant belly. i havnt got any stretch marks from any pregnancy and didnt use any creams or lotions so fingers crossed it stays the same lol.
I am 21 weeks and i'm blossoming like no tomorrow. I started showing very early, and now my belly button is poked out is that normal at 21 weeks. I feel bigger than a house I thought i just looked fat, but people keep asking my how far along am I, and they can't believe i'm only 21 weeks along.
Hi all,  i love these sharing forums.. it is so important for women to share their experience because the basic internet websites about pregnancy can be very confusing and don't give a wide enough margin for the differences in body type/ lifestyle, etc.
I am a dancer, 36 years old and 21 weeks & 3 days pregnant with my first child.  I am 5' 6" and i was 107 when i got pregnant.. i am now 128!!!  i just came back from the doctors and she couldn't believe it but considering that I am all muscle and had very low fat percentage for the 'norm' in my age/height range, she was pretty sure that I would only gain 10 more lbs at most.  I had to rest the last month of the 1st trimester due to a subchronic hematoma so that's when the weight came on .. I have been touring/performing for 17 years and dance between 5-10 hours a day  6, sometimes 7 days a week so obviously i gained weight when i stopped that regiment once i found out i was 'at risk'.  in the last month i have been riding my bike, teaching class and doing yoga at home and feel great.  i was a little worried because everyone who meets me says i'm "so small" for 5 months but my little girl is 14 ounces and 22 cm long so beyond perfect and growing strong. the most important thing is to stay active and eat when you want, and in moderation because the space is so small and you limit the heartburn and discomfort.  healthy pregnancies to everyone!
I am small too about 164 cm and 52 kg pre-pregnancy. I started to show at the end of the fifith month. Every body and baby is different. I gained the most weighted during the first half of the pregnancy, around 10 kgs, so it was strange that my belly didn't show. BTW I had lost 2 kgs before I got pregnant and was slim before maybe thats why.
im exactly 5 months today.. and im gettin scared because ive only gained like 5 pounds. before i got prego i was 5'8 and 153lbs and now i weigh 158 i only eat when im hungry because im scared of getting fat.. is this normal...or am i just freaking out for no reason..
I'm 22 weeks as of tomorrow and no one can tell I'm pregnant at all. My sons father swear he see something but I dont see it. I'm 5'4 136.6 pounds shy is it not noticeable yet that I'm pregnant, cud it be because my placenta is lieing low, can someone gibe me advice, thanks
Im 13 weeks ans was jsut rying to get a breast reduction but ended getting put on a low doseage ferlity that I didnt know was a fertily until I found out that I was preggo.. But the worst is that I was in denial after 14 pregnancy tests.. But when I went to the dr. for confrimation when I got the ultrasound I just knew that they werent going to be able to see any baby but they found TWO!!!! Im showing more then my neighbor which is due anyday.. This is the most uncormfortable situation I have ever been in.. And Im not due until May.. This will make # 5 and #6 for me and Im done!!!
I am 22 weeks with my second pregnancy and I don't really look pregnant at all, just chubby.  I am 5'10 with a large frame and wasn't really overweight but always had a little gut and pouch. I remember thinking with my first pregnancy that I wasn't showing at all either and that I just looked fat.  I don't know if any other women out there have had this experience but with my first pregnancy I never really had a perfectly round belly: it protruded on top where my organs had moved out to, dipped in the middle and popped back out on the bottom just under the belly button.  I called it my "peanut belly".  I remember being disappointed initially that I didn't have a cute, round baby belly like all the other women I knew. Eventually, around 38 weeks it did totally round out but by then the last thing I was thinking about was my cute pregnant belly!  I think the obsession with baby bellies is just another way that we women feel pressure from the image obsessed culture that envelopes us.  As an educated woman I knew that last thing I should really care about was how my belly looked, how big it was, and why I had terrible stretch marks but I couldn't avoid feeling that way and surfing the net for images of other pregnant women at my stage or pregnancy. It was also hard to dismiss the unsolicited comments, mainly from  other other women about my body, belly size/shape etc.  With this second pregnancy I am much more relaxed about the way my belly looks because I have a little more perspective than last time and I know that my dream of a cute, round baby belly is not a reality for me.  I am just so happy that I have a healthy, happy and beautiful little girl and another on the way!
I'm 19 and 21 weeks with my first (its a boy!!). I'm 5'5" and i carry my weight very well. i didn't look anything like it (seriously my friends thought i was 140-150) but i was 210 when i got pregnant and now im between 213-214. the dr's said to gain no more than 15 lbs. hopefully i'll lose a lot when i have him. my mom lost 30 lbs when she was pregnant with me but it was ok cuz she was so overweight. I eat whatever i crave (especially fast food lol) but make sure i eat a salad here or there or my favorite veggies a couple times a week which are green beans and broccoli. it seems to work pretty good so far, idk if it works for everyone but if yall try it may work for you too.
i am 31 weeks now and i started at 125lbs now im 129lbs..every month i was gaining weight but the recent check up i lost weight..but as they say it depends on the pregnancy
I am 22 yrs old with my 2nd lil girl at 21 weeks pregnant. i was 110 when i first got pregnant and i am now 130. i felt a lot bigger with my first daughter
i am on my fourth pregnancy, all of them are a little different in a multiple of ways.. different symptoms more pronounced than others each time, and different belly shapes too..  my first was very wide and watermelony looking, second very classicly beautiful baby bump, third insanely basketball like almost weirdly round, and now i seem to be on to a peanut shape with a bump on top and bottom...  so, they are as different inside as when they come out..  also, i am 28 weeks and to my memory seem a little smaller than i remember being before at this point, but i think it is because the baby seems deep inside, like toward my back..  also, i am 6 ft tall, so there is alot of space for it to navigate in there..   where and how the baby is placed in your uterus makes alot of difference.. good luck ladies! have fun!
Hi i'm 5 2 118 and will be 5 months in 2 weekd I have a bump bit really not showing, when I went to the doctor my baby is growing and healthy but I guess it's just a good jeans thing. Anyone else going through this experience?