Maternal & Child Community
How can I stop going crazy waiting for labor?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am only 33wks pregnant but the way I act you would think im 42wks. I was induced with my first at 36wks, so I have no idea what its like to go into labor on my own. I cant sleep, I have no energy, I just feel awful and I want this to be over with and just hold my baby. My baby is measuring big so I keep thinking she should come early even though I know thats not nessecarily true.  What can I do to stop going crazy! The wait is killing me.

PeanutMom
HA HA HA HA HA

Sorry darlin' but you get little sympathy from this court! :) I am 36 (almost 37) wks, baby measures two weeks early (in fact he was 7 1/2 lbs YESTERDAY) and my OB won't take him for another 2 wks!

I am feeling MORE than ready to get this kid out of me.  Hang in there kiddo! There are plenty of us on here in the same boat as you!!! :) What are you having and how old is your first?
What you can do is to stop and think that you are providing much needed growing time for a precious child.  This is a time of some physical discomfort, but it is also a relatively short time, and this sacrifice of your comfort is the greatest one a person can make.

Think back to how much you wanted to be pregnant (hopefully that is true!).  You wouldn't consciously wish any harm to your child.  Being born prematurely is a struggle and a danger, and you would never deliberately wish such a thing on a child that you have wanted so much.  Sometimes prematurity brings with it a lifetime of disability.  

Hang in there just another month, and you will greatly increase your odds of having a healthy baby.  It is quite safe to take Tylenol according to your doctors direction for aches and pains and miseries of pregnancy.  Benadryl is commonly used to help promote rest and sleep at night if you are having problems there.  If your complaints aren't managed by those simple measures, speak to your doctor about other options.

But never wish being born prematurely on an innocent child.  Think of the discomfort the child would go thru--needle pokes for iv's and blood tests, oxygen, sometimes a ventilator tube, feeding tubes, and occasionally death.  

Bear with it--someday you will look back on these last weeks with longing to do it all again!
And just because a baby is measuring big is no assurance they will not have problems--ultrasound measurements and tummy measurements are not reliable in the last 2 months of pregnancy, and even a big premature baby can have LOTS of problems.

It's more about organ maturity, rather than size.  The lungs are the last thing to develop fully, but often other organ systems need as much time as possible, too.  Even being born a few weeks early can lead to trouble with feeds, bilirubin, and temperature regulation.
Wow you have a 6 yr old too? There are a few of us on here with 6 yr old DD's (daughters) and eiter just had babies or are expecting our second in a few weeks!!

Yes, definitely stick around! This board is a great source of support for us moms with children, trying to concieve (conceive), and pregnancies and births!
Hang in there!  Since you had problems last time, it is no doubt you are having anxiety and concerns this time.  

Take the best care of yourself that you can, do what you can to get rest and eat well, and the rest is out of your hands.

Stick around here, this is a great group of ladies.  Good luck to you and vent anytime!
Thank you all so much. I feel a little better. I definately dont want her to be born early. I think I am just afraid of having a bigger baby since my daughter who is now 6 was only 4lbs when she was born. I know I need to just tell myself to make it through November and then I can get anxious about going into labor when Im full term. I am glad I posted here, it is nice to know there are plenty of other women going through this, and I need to just be extremely happy that I am not having the problems that I had with my first, pregnancy induced hypertention and IUGR. Thanks again.

PeanutMom
I am 39 weeks on Wednesday and I was going to be induced but my OB decided to go on vacation during the week and I have to wait until the day before I am due to be induced. (unless it happens sooner on it's own  :)  

My reasoning for being induced is logical but a little sad. My insurance forced me to see a doctor "in their network" which is 2hours away. For fear of having a baby in a car or having to go to an emergency room  here where no doctors know me my OB will induce me. I tried filing a greivance with the insurance company and I was denied. This is the U.S. right????  :)  My doctor and the nursed never stop saying how they cannot beileve my insurance makes me drive all that way. As far as coverage, it is great, I will not have to pay a penny, but only if I deliver were they say. I talked to the medical director of the insurance company and he says it is because of how they pay the doctor, they do so in a lump sum.  - Oh, yeah , this is the U.S.   .................

Anyway I can't wait to see my little guy and 9 days feels like forever right now.  

Good luck to all of you!

mommanikki
I'm in the exact same boat, but my doctor adamantly refuses to induce me until I'm at least a week overdue.  I was induced last time, and believe me, I'm in no rush to do it again.  But my husband and I are both terrified of what might happen in the 2-3 hours it will take me to get to my insurance provider's "approved" hospital.  Especially since I had a precipitous labor last time.  The scariest part for me is that, because I was induced last time, I don't even know what to look out for as far as what my body will do in early labor so that I can start out the door early.  The doctor wants me to come in "at the first sign of contractions," but for me, that's like, every night, and there's no way I'm driving 2 + hours to the hospital every night to get checked.  I'm at 39+ weeks and I'm literally freaking out.    I swear having babies used to be sooooo much easier before stupid doctors and insurance companies got involved.