Maternal & Child Community
How common is a missed miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How common is a missed miscarriage?

Hey ladies. I am just curious about this. I guess I am just worrying once again because I don't feel pregnant! I am 9 wks, 5 days today...due August 19th. On 1/8 at 8 wks we saw our bean with its little heart fluttering away. That was our last appt. I have never had any morning sickness and just don't feel pregnant besides being tired. This is not my first pregnancy and I felt very sick and threw up lots with my previous pregnancies. This is so strange, I can't help but worry that something is wrong! I have an appt next Friday, 1/26 and the anxiety is building again about not hearing a heartbeat and being told baby passed. I have nightmares about it! I hear stories on here of women having miscarriages at 12 weeks, baby stopped developing, etc, etc...I am so freaked out by that! Anyone else have a similar experience? Not feel pregnant, worry about missed miscarriage? I read that it's really rare, especially after heartbeat is detected, but according to the posts on this site, it doesn't seem to be the case. Is it because the people that join this site are here because they are experiencing problems?
I wish I had that answer.  It is not rare.  however its not common either.  reality is that it does happen.  will it happen the chances are on you side that it will not..  if your anything like me you'll worry until you have your appt.  good luck and god bless.  Dana
It is natural to worry. Probably since reading so many posts here relating to m/c. My sister has 3 kids and all 3 pregnancies were different. One was lots of morning sickness, one tired, one nothing. All normal. Relax and don't stress. Worry is natural. Take care and a happy and healthy pregnancy to you.
Oops forgot to answer other question. I m/c at 12 wks. Baby had hb day b4, next day not. Dr said 1 in 6. I have heard varying numbers. Yes, I did come here because of problems and I expect many others did, too. It always helps when someone "really" knows what you are going though. But that isn't you case. I'm sure all is fine. Don't let your imagination take over. Blessings to you.
Thanks. I also forgot to add that I had a miscarriage before this pregnancy, which has caused me to worry LOTS.
Look at how many have had m/c and are well into their preganacies now. I don't know all of them, but I have counted at least 20. It helps me to know of the successes, too. I am ttc now and the posts are very encouraging.
Hi- its wantingababy#1 (Melissa)

I was wondering how you were doing or feeling?  I dont know if you had a chance to read marie1210's post... it is a few days down.  It brought me to tears. The two of you concieved right around the same time I did before our next AF/after our MC in the middle of November.  Like you, I have days that I just dont feel pregnant.  I havent had any morning sickness either, other than 3 spells after eatting pizza.  My breast tenderness has sort of subsided compared to the first 6 weeks. About a week ago, I noticed they arent as sore- it comes and goes. Last night I had some tight pains that woke me up, although I then felt the urge to use the restroom. The last week I have woke up every night to pee.  But, like you, I dont feel as pregnant as I did before and it scares me.  My symptoms pop up and then subside. I have my next US on Monday, I will be 9w2d.  I am so scared again. I know we wrote earlier that we are going to just let nature take its course and try not to worry.  It's so darn hard to not think about it though. The only thing I have noticed is my jeans are getting tighter around the waist.  There are two pair that I cant wear anyone. I was a size 2 or 4, and I have had to pull out my size 6 pants.  I really pray and hope that the best will turn out for both of us.  Please keep me posted on things. It sounds like we have the same feelings going out w/ lack of symptoms.  The more success stories the read, the more I believe.
It's very common It happened to me but I just knew there was something different
Try not to worry.  If you saw a hb, you are pregnant.  A lot of women feel great throughout their pregnancy.  Good luck to you
Hello! Yes, I am feeling great and that is what has me concerned! I am 10 wks today and I cannot wait for even more reassurance on the 26th! I did not read that post you are talking about but I will check it out. Oh, my jeans are getting tight, too. All of my pants are. I have even used the rubber band trick a few times to make more room. I know my fears are probably unwarranted, but I can't wait to hear that heartbeat and see my baby again. I think after this next appt I will be able to relax more. I will be close to the second trimester by then. Good luck to you and prayers for both of us!
I know what you mean about worrying about a missed miscarriage. I do the same thing. My symptoms seem to subside and then come back..just not as strong. At first my breasts were super tender,and at about 8 weeks, it started to subside, now very very little tenderness...I am 12 weeks now. At 8 weeks also, I saw my baby on the ultrasound and heard the heartbeat. I am always praying the baby is okay because sometimes I just don't feel pregnant. I see the doctor in a few days so I hope I can hear the heartbeat again and get some assurance. I guess we just can't help but to worry sometimes, we all want so badly for everything to be right and we don't want to loose our babies.
I too have had a m/c about 3 wks ago. Everything was fine when we went to the dr at 6wks. a few weeks later I felt great, no pregnancy symptoms at all. We then went in for our 11 wk appt and there was no baby. Its hard to deal with sometimes, but I think about how it happened for a reason. There are many women that I have talked to out there that have had normal pregnancies after a m/c. It definitely gives hope for all of us.
bumgab-I don't know if you checked the date of this post, but I'm happy to report that I have a 16 month old son now, as a result of this pregnancy I posted about. I was so worried and it all turned out fine. I'm sorry about your miscarriage, but I did go on to have a baby shortly after. Good luck-keep the hope!
I had a missed miscarriage:(my baby stopped growing at 9 weeks . i found out at 11 weeks. Between 9 and 11 weeks i had a ridiculous amount of back pain, i developed a rash on my stomach, i stopped gaining weight and my uterus was slowly moving down. my tummy felt cold at times. In retrospect it all makes sense. I had been diagnosed with a subchorionic hematoma and my doctor didnt seem concerned, however from 7 weeks on when i innitially began seeing small amounts of blood i was worried and felt like something was seriously wrong. I would bleed after doing everyday tasks and kept contacting my doctor and really felt asthough i should have been on bedrest. But i tried to trust their judgement and now wonder- if id trusted my own would baby still be with me???? i went in for an emergency scan at 8 weeks 4 days(christmas eve) and baby was beautiful and had a strong heartbeat...i lost baby 3 days later. During that week i recall my whole body hurting especially my back, i felt like i was dead, i couldnt understand why i felt so terrible at the time and now i know. I was teary, irritated, and just so exhausted, and unbearably depressed...like my body and brain recognized what was going on before i consciously did. I went to my doctors 3 days before i found out id lost baby and he told me to relax,i really started to think i was over reacting or maybe other pregnant women go through this pain and everythings ok??? But in the end i was right to have been so worried and to trust my gut when i felt like something just wasnt right. I guess what im saying is its your body and your baby and if your concerned dont hesitate to assert yourself so people will take you seriously. Dont trust anyone elses judgement but your own. And while maybe you cant prevent miscarriage the least you can do is be able to look back and say i did everything i could.
When i was pregnant with my son i felt considerably healthy and with my miscarriage i didnt at all, i had no morning sickness tho.
NOW...
There is a chance i could be pregnant again and a part of me hopes to be while another part of me fears going through this ordeal all over again:(. Its been almost 2 weeks since i physically passed baby which was like a mini labour) highly traumatizing! I bleed for a week and have been having sex since,From what ive read online many women ovulate between miscarriage and their AF?
The internet proves that missed miscarriages are very common? i never ever thought this would happen to me, prior to this i would have never thought it could have been possible for your body to go 2 weeks without expelling a lifeless child...almost like it doesnt want to let go??
This shoke my faith at first but now its stronger then ever and im sure there was a reason for my loss.
I read a post where a woman told this story about how god killed a poor mans animals and the man was angry and asked why, and god said well it was your wife who was supposed to die but i toke your animals instead. Somehow that brings everything into perspective for me. Its easy to forget how lucky we are sometimes
I wish everyone happiness and health