Maternal & Child Community
How did I get Strep B?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How did I get Strep B?

Ok, so Ive read a few different things about Strep B, which Ive been diagnosed as having. Some sites are saying that it can be transmitted via 'intimate relations', so does this mean I caught it from a previous partner?
But then some sites say you cant 'catch it', so did I get it from my mother when I was born? If so, does this mean my siblings could have it too?
Any help would be much appreciated. thanks.
Group B strep is part of the normal flora of the lower intestinal tract and is not a "disease" that you catch.  It is found in the vagina/lower intestinal tract of 10-30% of healthy normal adults.  

Here is a wonderful site that explains it in depth, and explains the association with neonatal disease.

http://www.groupbstrep.org/gbs/aboutGBS1.html#whatis
Yeah, Ive already read that one.
The thing is I couldntve had this bacteria while I was still in the womb right? So either I contracted it off my mother while I was being born, or Ive gotten it from someone Ive slept with. Or perhaps it just developes on some people or something(doubtful).

SSo where did I get it from??
Have you tried looking on www.webmd.com?  This is where I usually go for information that I need on conditions concerning myself and my family.  I know my friend's little girl just got out of the sick kids hospital about 2 weeks ago because she has Strep B, her daughter is nearly 2 yrs old.  Hers developed from being sick with a cold, that turned into pnemonia (pneumonia) and finally into strep.  Anyway I usually check webmd for my info. it is a reliable site.

anita
Group B strep is just "normal flora" of the intestinal tract.

You don't pick it up from mom or a sexual partner per se.  The very process of living, breathing, eating and drinking colonizes your intestines and your body with different kinds of bacteria.  

Group B strep is just one of many different kinds of bacteria that can be present.  E. Coli is present in everyones colon.  Doesn't mean you "got it" from your mother.  It is just the normal flora.

Much attention is focused on Group B strep due to its occasional association with neonatal disease, primarily.
Ok, thanks everyone. My doctor didnt really tell me much about it, I just wanted to know how I got, so thanks.
The thing is, Im terrified of needles or anything metalic,  sharp and pointy going through my arm, I always have been. I really freak out, for my earlier blood test the doc had to give me a sedative and take my blood while I was out of it. Im due for my 28wk blood test now and the doctor isnt being too sympathetic. Hes trying to make me do it normally so I can get used to it or something seeing Ill have to have a drip during labour. But GOD... Im going out of my mind just thinking about having it done. So its just my luck to have Strep B, I had my hopes up that maybe I wouldnt need a drip during labour. No such bloody luck. GRRRRRR  =(
Don't worry to much about the Strep B. With my first child, the doctor didn't even tell me I had it, I didn't know until I got to the hospital and they told me they were going to give me antibiotics for my Strep B. And every thing was fine, they just take the baby and run a few test after they are born. Then with my second I did't have to be test because once you have it you always have it and they started my antibiotics as soon as I got to the hospital.
what christie is telling you, is that you don't "Catch" it. It isn't transmitted to you unkowingly.  you just have it.

think of it as brown hair...you either have it or you don't>

the reason they test for it is because IF you do have it, it can be detrimental to a newborn.

don't  worry, they give antibiotics before and during labor and you and the baby will be fine!
My wife was just diagnosed with Strep B a few minutes ago by an urgent care doctor. Her symptoms were that she was congested, vomited, severe headache, hot with occasional sweating, bloodshot eyes, sore throat, frequent bowel movement, very irritable, loss of appetite, sleeplessness... The question that I see asked is 'how did I get it' ? The answer is usually that Strep B is always present naturally and is normal. That seems to confuse the person that is asking because they are wondering why they are suddenly ill with this...but it is part of their natural intestinal or vaginal flora. I am guessing that the missing link here is that when our immune systems become weakened by some other factor, be it a cold virus, pregnancy, injury, disease etc then Strep B can become detrimental and cause illness due to the imbalance caused by weakened immune system. If a person had no immune system then that person would become ill with practically everything until they died.
My sister and I both had strep b when we were prego and everything was fine. They just give an antibiotic. I wouldnt worry about it.
How did the doctor diagnose the Strep B?  This can only be diagnosed by culture that takes at least 48 hours.  There is no "rapid" StrepB test the way there is for Strep A.  The rapid strep test, commonly used in ERs and Urgent Care facilities, is for Strep A.

Are you sure it was Group B strep?  The doctor did a culture 48 hours ago, not a rapid strep test?  
ummmm...forgive me if I am wrong...BUT...with my 1st ds I didn't have Strep B, with my 2nd one I did, and with my 3rd one I didn't ....  it isn't a life long thing...so I was told???
That's the odd thing about strepB.  It can be cultured sometimes, not others.  
From CDC documents:

"Do people who are group B strep carriers feel sick?

Many people carry group B strep in their bodies, but they do not become sick or have any symptoms. Adults can have group B strep in the bowel, vagina, bladder, or throat. About 25% of pregnant women carry group B strep in the rectum or vagina. A person who is a ‘carrier’ has the bacteria in her body but may not feel sick. However, her baby may come into contact with group B strep during birth. Group B strep bacteria may come and go in people’s bodies without symptoms. A person does not have to be a carrier all of her life.

How does someone get group B strep?

The bacteria that cause group B strep disease normally live in the intestine, vagina, or rectal areas.
Group B strep colonization is not a sexually transmitted disease (STD). Approximately 25% (1 in 4) of pregnant women carry group B strep bacteria in their vagina or rectum. For most women there are no symptoms of carrying group B strep bacteria. "

Can l pass Strep B onto my husband through sexual intercourse?
my question is why didn't i show positive during my first pregnancy for gbs and now all the sudden i have it
I am a carrier of group b step,  it wont always be there but it will come and go. Its just a normal bacteria that lives in the gut but can be passed onto a baby when giving birth. I first realised after the birth of my 1st baby that i had it, she became ill at 3 weeks old and sadly died from group b strep/meningitis. It is rare for babies to die from it but it does happen, babies and woman can be colonised with strep b but it wont affect them only if it develops into an infection which as i said is rare. I went on to have 2 lovely children, with iv antibiotics during labour (so that it also goes through the babies blood stream) and everything was fine. If in doubt, insist to your midwife that you want to be tested for it which will involve a simple vaginal swab.
My very best friend just had a baby. He is 12 days old and has been in the hospital for 3 days now. He was diagnosed with strep b meningitis. It is EXTREMELY serious. Everyone on here who has said not to worry about it is wrong- it should be taken seriously and you should take all precauions- antibiotics during labor, and although it is rare it is not THAT rare. My friend was tested for strep B between 35 and 37 weeks during her pregnancy and the test came back negative- so she might have developed it afterward- it can grow very fast. She also developed a slight fever during labor and was sent to deliver the baby by c-section. At 10 days old he started acting funny from one feeding where he was fine to the next feeding he wouldn't eat and was crying non-stop and when they took his temp he had a fever. They took him to the ER thinking they would give him some tylenol and send him home. They diagnosed him immediately with pnemonia (pneumonia) and gave him a spinal tap for meningitis. Within a few hours from when he started acting a little funny he had stopped breathing and was in the intensive care unit. He has been sedated and on a ventilator for 2 days now. He has had to receive blood because his liver stopped responding, he developed diabetes and his kidneys have become infected, and if he makes it they don't know what the long term effects will be. I never thought this would happen to someone so close to me- she is someone who did everything right during her pregnancy and had good medical care. It is so important to know about this stuff so that you can protect yourself. I am 25 weeks pregnant and will be requesting antibiotics during labor no matter what!
I has strep b too, the anti biotics don't acctually stop the baby getting it, it just reduces the chances of it being colonised n the baby getting sick
I found out I was a strep B carrier when after a long labour with my daughter (I was induced - she was overdue) and suddenly she started to go into distress and I wound up with a very high fever, vomitting. They delivered her quickly not allowing her to breathe right off because there was meconium.  We were it the hospital for 6 days, and touch and go for a while.  Second child was fine because they hooked me up to erythromycin right away.  Final word on this is, when I got home from the hospital I found out strep B infection is one of the leading causes of mental retardation and can be deadly.  In other words, something to take seriously.  If you show up with that in a test, be sure to tell them when you go to the hospital and get the antibiotics.
No- It isn't something that is passed to anyone. It is just a bacteria that lives in your Intestinal, vaginal or unrinary tract. You can be a carrier with no symptoms, but when you are pregnant, it is important to be tested between the 35-37th week.  It can come and go.  

Maybe taking a daily probiotic can keep the bug at bay. Probiotics or eating something like yogurt or Kefir can help populate the good bacteria and get rid of the bad bacteria in your gut.
Hi I have just been told I have group B strep funny thing is I am not pregnant and I have had my tubes tied. So just so you know even non pregnant women can have it flare up. I have given birth 5 times and I only had GBS with my fourth child but by the time I went to give birth the infection had gone so I did not need antibiotics during labour.