Maternal & Child Community
How did Prevacid help your infant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How did Prevacid help your infant?

I am giving Prevacid to my son who is 5 weeks. I have read a number of post and articles so I can determine if the Prevacid is working but still haven't found an answer. For those of you who are giving Prevacid to your children - how did you know it was working? What symptoms disappeared? He has been on it for over a week but still arches, gags, coughs, grunts, and spits up. He has yet to have a problem with feeding and doesn't cry during or after a feeding. From the articles I have read the poor feeding and crying seem to be the only symptoms that went away.
All of my children had reflux.  None of them were prescribed prevacid.   They have all been on zantac tho.  I knew it worked becuase they didn't make the painful faces when they spit up, the spit up was less, no projectile spitting up.  The younger the baby the more often they will need the doseage adjusted though.  As their weight changes the doseage changes. It could easily be that you just need the doseage adjusted a little higher or perhaps trying a new med like zantac.  

Other things that help with the syptoms (symptoms) you described.  If you bottle feed, add a small amount of rice cereal to the bottle to help thicken it up (or use a thicker formula like enfamil ar w/lipil) keep baby on atleast a 45 degree recline for about a half hour after each feeding.  Sometimes having them sleep in that position helps as well.  Also, make sure the diaper isn't pressing into the belly while in the reclined position.  Also, make sure he isn't moved around a lot right after feedings.  Most babies will outgrow it before they turn a year old.  
my 6 month old has reflux. She has to be on both prevacid and zantac. It is possible that the dose is not enough for him, he needs a different med, or that he needs a combination of meds.

She started out on zantac at 4 weeks. We noticed a significant improvement on the zantac within a day or two, but we kept having to increas the dose. By 4 months we were coping with severe silent reflux symptoms, so the ped suggested we put her on prevacid and wean her off the zantac. I know they say that the prevacid needs 2 weeks to see the full effects, but i swear 24 hours after starting it we had a new baby on our hands. It was amazing. Until the prevacid, we had to feed her swaddled, in a swing, with white noise going. We had severe arching of the back, and while she wouldn't spit up, you could hear the swallowing and she's make painful faces. 24 hours after starting prevacid, she became a much happier baby and easier to feed.
Unfortunately, when we tried to wean her off the zantac, she had a major reflux flare-up and it took a week to recover from it. We had to keep her on both the zantac and prevacid until we were able to get in to see a gastro last week. The gastro has had us nearly double the prevacid, and significantly cut down on the zantac with the intention of weaning her off of it within a few weeks. The much higher prevacid dose seems to be doing the trick. I was so afraid of cutting down on the zantac again, but so far, so good!

Unfortunately, with reflux, it is a process of trial and error. Some babies respond great to ppi's like prevacid, while others do better on meds like zantac. You do have to give it a full 2 weeks to take effect because if there is damage/irritation to the esophagus from the reflux, it needs time to heal before you may see changes. If you don't see major improvements by the end of the week, i'd contact the ped.

As for what symptoms should fade- ideally, all of the should. But the arching should definitely go down. My little one used to arch so violently, it was hard to hold her during her episodes. Of course, she would scream during those episodes as well. Since the right balance of meds, we have gone from such dramatic reactions to virtually no arching.

Make sure you are giving the prevacid properly- as in, on a completely empty stomach. You cannot give it with milk/formula- it will essentially render it ineffective. My gastro said to try to time the dose to be 20-30 minutes before a feed.

Finally, if you are breastfeeding, you may need to eliminate certain foods from your diet. I have discovered that onions are a major and obvious irritant to her, so I have to avoid them completely. I haven't tried them recently, with these new med changes. I'm too scared of hurting her :(
You got some great advice on this, I'm hoping your little one is feeling better!  My little one went on Nutramigen at 2 weeks to help with the colic & vomiting, by 4 weeks he was screaming so much at night he would lose his voice in the morning, we also had projectile vomiting, the gagging, choking, gurgling, arching- it was awful.  He got better on Prevacid in about a week, but still had issues.  I was told he was very colicky, but he was also on a strong dose of Prevacid for his size so they thought he was under control.  

At 10 weeks Cam got really sick & went in for tests as he was choking & couldn't eat- he had RSV, but they also ran a Barium Swallow & watched him refluxing even on Prevacd.  He went on Reglan twice daily along with Prevacid once daily at 10 weeks, within a couple weeks, they added Zantac twice daily on top of the others.  Once they got all the meds going, it was amazing.  Cam will be 3 the end of this month & still has bad reflux.  We tried to wean him off to see how it went (when the meds work, you have no idea if they still need them or if they have outgrown the reflux).  It was awful for us & Cam took a long time to get back under control- he still swallows hard at night & I need to elevate him some nights.  We watch what we eat too, avoid spicy & acidic.  Hang in there & talk to your Dr.