Maternal & Child Community
How do they count the weeks of pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was just on a site that said I'm 5 weeks pregnant. I had my period about 4-5 weeks ago, and I think conception was 2 weeks ago. Do they really count from the first day of your last period? That's what the site said. But I don't remember that with my last pregnancy. I was thinking that I'm only 2 weeks pregnant? Just wondering if I'm getting wrong info or if I have no clue about anything Lol. Thanks.

-Shannon
The doctors will usually count from the day of your last period - this assumes that you have a 28 day cycle and ovulate at day 14.  However, the more correct way to date is to subtract 2 weeks from the date of conception especially for those of us that dont have regular cycles or predictable ovulation patterns.

If you think you conceived about 2 weeks ago, then you would be "about" 4 weeks pregnant.  Early ultrasounds tend to be the most accurate in terms of dating but can be up to about a week off.