Maternal & Child Community
How do you know baby's position

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How do you know baby's position

Hello ladies,
just wanted to ask if any of you know how you figure out the position your baby is in. I am 25 weeks and since this is my 3rd prego, I feel my little girl all the time, but never know where her head or feet are. Also, I read alot of you can notice the babie's hiccup, I have never felt that or at least do not know what to look for.
I have no idea how you can tell what position the baby is in. I totally can't tell. I just went for my 36 week appointment and my dr barely felt my stomach and then did the internal exam and said right off that she is head down and in position. So who knows.
  as for the hiccups, I'm pretty sure I didn't feel them until closer to 30 weeks , but I'm sure every prgnancy is different. To me they almost remind me of a strong heartbeat, but I knew it wasn't the baby's heart beating. They seem to last maybe about a minute or not even, but just a rhythmic beating type of feel.
I was suprise when some of the girls said that they know exactly where the head or legs are and they were not that much ahead of me. So, I was just wondering, since I feel the movement all over.
As far as position, it is generally pretty tough for the mom to be able to tell. This being my third, I have gotten pretty good at telling the bottom from the top but even still he manages to dupe me.

And hiccups are easy to tell, it is a rhythmic movement that lasts for a spell.

Andi
I asked the midwife last time I was there and she said the head is way down and of course I know where his butt is since it's the biggest bump I've felt all along.  I am 33 weeks and he still has room to swim around so I will just have her check everytime.
It might be too early for you to differentiate between where the feet and hands are.  When I got further along, maybe in the 8th month or so, when the baby started to run out of room, I could clearly see the feet and the hands sticking out every now and then and could feel with my hands where the head and rear end were.
The hiccups are unmistakeable.  It's like a little pulse every few seconds like normal hiccups.  When the baby has them, you'll know.
Good luck with her!
At 25 weeks, even if you determined what direction your baby is in, the next day he/she could be in a different one. They are still small enough to where they can move in all directions. I'm guessing, but I think it's 36 weeks and after that you can pretty much say your baby is going to stay in one direction. If you're getting closer to 36 weeks and your doctor has determined that you are breeched then ask your doctor about techinques that you (or your doctor) can do to turn your baby.
I think it was around 30 weeks that my doctor was able to "feel" our babies head down by the cervix (not with a vaginal exam). Last week, 34 weeks, she did a vaginal exam (had false labor contractions) and she could feel the babies head at my cervix.