How does walking help you during labor? I've been lectured quite a few times about walking. /OPEN
I'm really sick of people telling me that " I have to walk, it will help me during labor".  I especially hate it coming from my step-mother who believes, "You'll have a hairy baby because you have heartburn" and "I knew it would be a girl because your getting Wide".
Ok, first, it's been like an average of 20 degrees over the passed few weeks here in NY.  Where am I walking to in 20 weather?  Second, everyone seems to forget that I am asthmatic and all the extra weight from pregnancy AND the fact that it's getting harder to breath, is not helping my asthma one bit. I've been using my inhaler ALOT in the last month. I'm sick of hearing it.  And I just dont understand how my labor is going to be harder because I'm not walking a lot.  Does anyone know?
Use as open.
I heard a lot about that when I was pregnant with my son, because I let my weight gain get a little out of hand and didn't exercise whatsoever, just drove to my desk job and drove back home.  I guess they say the more exercise you get the better labor and pushing will go.  But when I had my son I was only in labor three hours and only pushed ten minutes, so apparently it didn't matter in my case.  Don't let people make you feel guilty, you'll be fine.
The only time I know that walking helps is when you are actually IN labor, that helps speed things along. When you're pregnant, you should do the activity level that feels right to you and your own body.
I did the walking thing with my 1st pregnancy. The DR. told me and my mom, that labor could happen any day now, and my mom took that seriously!!! She took me to the mall and out to lunch on Thursday, we walked and walked, by early friday morning I was in active labor. I had my DS that afternoon, lol!!! I say, just give it a try!!! :)
i walked alot during up to my 6th month probably and really haven't walked since then, i actually felt better and gained less weight while i was walking which i'm not complaining of my weight i've only gained 17lbs that's including the weight i lost at first.
but i hear later in your pregnancy is good to walk to induce labor? now at the stage your at i'd just do it to feel better i guess...
good luck, and i had heartburn terribly with my first and my baby didn't have much hair at all....so i don't know about that. this pregnancy i haven't had any heartburn, so i guess i'll have a bald baby! LOL :pp
I hope your athemia doesn't get any worse, i also sometimes have to use my inhaler. it sucks!
I actually exrecised during my whole pregnancy and I'm very happy I did.  I lost all the preggo weight (I gained 25 lbs) within two weeks post partum.  I don't think it makes the labor eaiser but rather keeps you in shape more.  Plus my job requires a lot of walking up and down the stairs (in NYC public schools where there are no elevators) so I was pretty active throughout my whole pregnancy.  I don't know how true the heartburn and the hairy babies go but I did have a major h/b throughout the whole pregnancy and I did have a hairy baby :)  I was carrying all in the front (old wife's tale would be sure I'm carrying a boy).  Well, I had a girl :)  While I do understand your concern for walking in cold weather (I also live in NYC), I would def do something even in the house.  Stretch a little (but be careful not to overdo it) it's really for your own good.  Good luck!
I would understand if I did gain ALOT of weight.  I've gained 20 so far.  I'm 28 weeks. I mean, I Guess it could be less because I wasn't slim when I got pregnant. Just average size 12.  It's just so frustrating.  It's like everyone has something to say when your pregnant. I didn't realize how annying it would become.
I was not allowed to walk in the beginning and now the doctor says to walk about 20 mins a day if I can due to my weight gain but I am with you.  Screw that - Before I got pregnant I went to the gym at least 4 nights a week and was toned.  Now I am a fat lard that cant breathe and guess what - I DON'T CARE.  Labor will be hard and loosing weight will be hard but I will manage.  I am not stressing myself now while I am a cow who's back hurts all day long.

OH and walking in this weather - slip & Fall no thanks.  I dont even want to drive in it.  So let your hormones tell everyone how you really feel.  LEAVE ME ALONE!  hahaha  I do.