Maternal & Child Community
How early can you hear a heartbeat on a doppler?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi ladies!  Happy Friday!! I have a quick question. I want to buy one of the home dopplers. I am currently 8 wks 2days. When would be the earliest to hear it?
I think that is still pretty early. I didnt hear mine until 13 wks. Everyone is different though. I have heard some as early as 9wks but for the majority it is 11 wks and on. If you bought one right now you may detect only your hb and worry yourself. Have you had an us yet with your dr?
I bought one and was so glad that I did.  I don't think we heard the hb from home until after 12 weeks.  Sorry, my ds is 9mths now and I have trouble remembering back that far!!!  Haha, they do work and I was a worrier due to previous m/c so it was awesome for me.  I used it whenever I thought movement was low.  My dr did say they don't encourage it because they are unsure of the effects it has on the baby.  It is sound waves and they don't know what the baby can and cannot hear while in the belly.  They suggested I come in whenever worried.  Well, if that was the case I would have been in there sometimes 5x a day!!!  My son was born healthy!!!  Best wishes.  
Thanks so much ladies!  I heard and saw the heartbeat at my first u/s at 7 wk 1 day.   I figured it would be a little later with the home doppler though.  Maybe I will wait a few more weeks!

Have a great weekend!!
The earliest that i have heard of anyone picking up a hb on a home doppler was 8w4d. But this lady had one of those real expenxive high tech dopplers. But i think the average is probably around 11 weeks or so or even later.
Hi, how are you doing?  My u/s was great, swa the heartbeat!  WONDERFUL! We have another appointment on June 23rd, and my husband gets to hear it!
I rented mine from babybeat.com when I was about 9 weeks. When I first got it I couldnt hear my lil boy's heartbeat, I thought it was too early but I just had to try when I got it in the mail =) I heard it 5 days later though. It was so amazing! I recommend babybeat.com they have awesome home dopplers
At 12 wks we still couldn't pick mine up.
Avatar n tn
I got mine from babybeats too, and heard it at 10 weeks. It depends on a lot of different things though, like how good the doppler is, the position of the baby, the position of the placenta, the position of your uterus, whether or not you are overweight...I don't think they worry about it unless the dr is unable to find it after 14 weeks.