Maternal & Child Community
How long did you stay in the hospital after delivery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was wondering how long you ladies stayed in the hospital after a vaginal delivery or a c-section? Was your baby in your room at all times? If you did stay longer than normal, did the baby stay too?
After touring the hospital, I was told that I could have my baby in my room the whole time I'm there. But I forgot to ask that does the baby ever get released before the mom...Excuse my ignorance...It's my first time having a baby and I don't have my family closeby...
I've never heard of the baby being released before the mother (unless there is a life/death situation where the mother needs some surgery) even then I'm not too sure.  I believe it's 48 hours after vaginal and 72 hours after C-section.  You could have your baby in the room with you the whole time you're there but some prefer to get some rest.   Good luck.
I think it depends on where you are.  In the hospital I was at, I got to go home the next day, after the time of delievery.  They need to be there 24 hours because there is a test they do when the baby is 24 hrs. old.  I got a choice to have the baby in the room with me, or let it go to the nursery.  I never had a c-section so I dont really know about that.  They did mention while I was on the tour that you had to stay at least 2 days.  Where do you live?  I live in Michigan.  I went to gerber memorial (I had gerber babies :) ).  Good luck, and I hope everything goes okay for you.
no i don't think that the baby get released from the hospital before the mom, i stayed in the hospital  for 4 days after the c-section, the doctor had no problem to keep me for more days, but i wanted to go home asap, because the baby was not with me, you know!
Now that I read my post it sound kinda stupid to ask "if the baby gets released first". OH THE PREGGO BRAIN!!
I live in Orlando. I'm due early March and getting nervous by the day.
i had my c-sec monday afternoon and was released friday afternoon. baby can stay with you, but we sent her back to the nursery at night for some sleep :)
That is NOT a stupid question.   You were truly asking and wanted an answer. The stupid questions are the ones "I had unprotected sex, could I be pregnant" and they are asked 3 times by the same person!!  Anyhow, insurance laws are supposed to deter dr's and hospitals from releasing mother's from the hospital earlier than they feel comfortable.  With a vaginal uncomplicated birth, it is usually 24-48 hrs and 72 hrs with an uncomplicated c-sect.  Good Luck and dont ever feel like you cant ask an honest question!!!
It is definatlly a nervos situation.  Once I did the tour of the hospital when I was pregnant with my first child, all types of situations popped into my head.  That made me worry so much.  Once you are there though, and you get to the pushing stage, it gets better (for some people).  Once the baby is born though, EVERYTHING seems to get better.  Try not to stress too much though.  You dont want your little angel to get that stress.  Good luck, and God bless you and your family.

Thank you for your reponse. Sometimes I just feel like I should know the answers and not have to ask...But thank you for the support!
I had my son on a Saturday at 7:30pm and was released on Monday at noon. We were both fine with no complications. I think 2 days is pretty standard. I kept my son with me in my room the entire time. You can request that they take the baby to let you rest, but my kiddo was a heavy sleeper so I had no trouble getting any rest.

As far as releasing the baby before mom- My sister-in-law just had a little girl on December 10th. She (mom) had very high blood pressure during the week before delivery, and it didn't go down as expected after she had the baby. She had her on Monday evening and they didn't get released until Friday afternoon. I think baby was ready to go home before mom, but they keep you both together. She was nursing, so they wouldn't send baby home with daddy and keep the milk machine in the hospital!

Good luck :)
Oh, I forgot to say that both myself and sister-in-law delivered vaginally. They definitely keep you a little longer for c-sections.

Also, some employers pay more maternity leave pay if you get a c-section vs. a vaginal delivery. My employer paid me for 6 weeks of maternity leave, and I would have received 8 weeks if I had a c-section. Good to know if you get paid maternity leave!
For my son's birth last October, we were told we would need to stay at least 24 hours.  I had a bad tear, though, so they had me stay longer.  I gave birth at 1:00 p.m. on a Thursday and went home Saturday.  They liked the baby to stay in the room full time, but they were willing to take him during the night so I could get some sleep.  And I took advantage of that!

Everyone made the birthing process out to be such a big deal with my first child.  I really tried not to worry.  I learned what I needed to know and just told myself "You know what, the baby's got to come out somehow!"  I know it isn't magic advice, but it really did help me calm myself when I started to worry.

Just keeping asking the questions until you have the answers!
On both of my daughters I was kept in the hospital for 4 nights 5 days.... mostly because I had to wait for my daughters to have a blood test done that is required I think at 3 or 4 days after birth.  
Also it can depend on your insurance, or lack of.  Seems like docs hurry people out faster if they don't have insurance.... Wrong! but it happens.
I did not have a C-Section so you are correct if you have a C-section you will stay longer.
Word of advice though........... use the nursery............... lol..... get your sleep while you can cause you will need your strength.  
Usually they let you have your child in your room if you or the father is awake.  Usually if you are sleeping they make the child be in the nursery....... at least that is how it is done here.
With my first, due to my episiotomy, I was in for 2 days beyond delivery. For my 2nd and 3rd deliveries I was out in under 24 hours but had follow ups with the pediatrician within 2 days and again at 10 days to monitor baby's progress.
I have pretty good insurance so I don't think I'll have a problem there. But I have to agree with you. I should try and get my sleep as much as I can before the sleepless nights start hitting my in the head!!
Our insurance was excellent, I just wanted out!After the first, i just wanted to get home and settle in with my new addition. Hospitals are hotbeds of infection and I wanted my baby home with the rest of the family.  I roomed in with mine, I figured I wanted to have a baby wasn't about to pass it off right after birth : )

It really does depend on you and the baby. Standard is at least 24 hours for vag, 48 for a c-section. peek will be better versed on this than me though.
I know what you mean. I feel like as soon as I have him, I want him glued to me!!! And tell everyone not to touch him!! I feel so over protective already it's scary...
I was like Andi, stayed longer with my first from the tearing, but went home just after 24 hours the second time.  I would take your time and rest, I also let my little ones sleep in the nursery so I could get a little sleep, kept them till early morning and then rested.  Some Dr.'s will not send you with pain meds as they want you alert when home with baby, so check, even with baby #2 it was tough going home with nothing for pain.  With my first baby I was not allowed to keep him while I was alone the first night since I was so torn and had passed out when they tried to get me up.  Second kiddo they were fine giving me Percocet and baby together.  Cameron was almost not released at 24 hours due to his bilirubin levels.  I was given the option to stay if he needed to.   Good luck, and trust your instincts on what you want.  Cam will be 1 in March, it's a great month!
I was given rx pain meds after all three and needed them after my first (with the episiotomy) and my 3rd (broke my tail bone during delivery) but I took the lowest possible dose as I was nursing. But trying to tough it out made it hard to relax to nurse so at the advice of my OB and the pedi, I did use the meds. Thankfully none of my babies seemed phased by the meds.
OMG! All this talk about tearing, episiotomy and breaking tailbones is freaking me out!! You ladies are really brave! I donno how I'm going to do it...
Its not all that bad.  Everyone has different experiences.  I tore just a little bit, and then with my second, she tore me at the same path my son did.  With him though, I had no pain afterwards.  With her, I had terrible cramping especially while I was breast feeding.  They gave me tylenol 3 with codine, then I found out that codine was bad for the baby, so I quit taking it.  

To some of the other non first time moms----How big was your kids's heads?  I think that determines the tear right?  My kids both had 13cm (i think it is measured cm) heads.  Their weights were 8#14oz and 10#7.5oz.
Mine were all over 14 cm around. My first was 8lbs 5 ounces but only 19 inches. I had an epidural and it was dosed while pushing, thus causing my problems. My second was 8 lbs 7 ounces, 20.4 inches and he came out quick and I ended up with a tiny tear the other way. With my 3rd he came out too fast (went from 5-9 in under a minute, 10 followed a minute later and he was out within a couple pushes), his head was perfectly round, thus accounting for the tail bone. He was 8 lbs 14 ounces and 20.3 inches, I had an abrasion, no tear. I was pain med free for the last two, which made breaking my tail bone a blast!

But even with all of that, I would do it all again in a heartbeat. That alone should speak volumes to you about how easy it is to get beyond it all. It is well worth what you get in return.
My son was 2 weeks early weighing 8lb 10oz. I had a 2nd degree tear and the scale is from 1-4. A 4th degree tear is all the way down if you get my drift. If you have to push for a while and your area has time to stretch to accomodate what's about to come out, you're better off. My best friend had her son 11 weeks after me and her nurse used lube and stretched her out for about 30 min before she started pushing. She had a minor tear, no big deal. I pushed for 20 min, so he came pretty quickly. I watched the whole thing in the mirror so I could see how I was doing, and I know I did not tear until his shoulders came out. Please ask them to cut you if they think you are about to tear. I wish I would have been cut because it is much easier to sew back up after the fact. I was very unhappy with the way I was put back together and it took a long while to heal. The even sewed me up and didn't like with out it came out, so pulled the stitches out and did it over again. Can you imagine how awful it must have looked the first time?

Really, it's not that bad. I know it all sounds horrible, but you're so excited to meet your baby that everything else is not important. I promise!

My best advice-watch it in the mirror! Most hospitals have delivery mirrors for this very purpose. If you have getting an epidural (the best thing ever), you can't really feel yourself push. I was able to watch how far his head came down with each push and it definitely kept me motivated. Good luck :) It's the best day of your entire life!
I am going to get an epidural for sure. I guess I'm just being a big baby about the pain.
I would love to do it over again too.  It is such a miracle how when they put the baby on your stomach and you say "oh my GOD, that just came out of me."  It is so amazing.  With my first child, I had my water broke at the hospital, and it took 9hrs. to have him.  With my second, she came way too quick.  I was only there for exactly one hour, and she was born.  My cervix wasnt ready to have her, and I could feel something inside hurting, but she didnt want to stay in any longer.  

The epidural is a good idea for the first time around. Just make sure you don't have it dosing too close to pushing. It was too hard for me to push effectively with my first. With my 2nd and 3rd I was med free (aside from the Pit) and was able to follow my body's cues much easier. I will always suggest a first time get the epidural : )
I didnt want an epidural before I went there.  I finally wanted one with my son, but I was already 9cm so they wouldnt let me, and with my daughter, like I said above, she came to quick.  I was telling them I wanted it, but they said that she was right there, and that I had no time.  I was so shocked to hear that she was right at the opening.  It was so crazy.

Good luck though.  You have a little ways to go, but it will go quick (until the end, then it will feel like FOREVER).
Everything will be fine, and you will be able to tell some first mom next year on the forum that everything will be okay with her.... lol
It is a pain that you some what forget.... you never completely forget, but trust me it does go away.

I had an epidural, and it was a good thing with our first daughter cause 10 hours into labor I wasn't very far along, but as soon as I got the epidural I was ready in 20 minutes because I was able to relax and everything just happened.
I'm kind of surprised that some ladies went home so soon, cause they told me I had to stay in at least 3 days because my baby had to have a test ran before she was allowed to leave the hospital, and it had to be done 72 hours after birth.
Our second daughter we brought home on Christmas Eve of 2004............ I went home and made a pecan pie for Christmas.  lol
Ah, you handle the tearing if it happens.  My little ones came fast too for their size and for my first it took as long to push as it did to stitch.  You will be just fine, look at how many of us went on to have more babies after going through labor once.  It's worth it, goodluck and don't stress about it too much, you can't control it much, so just try to relax and enjoy the process.
I live right outside Orlando, where will you deliver? I just had my dd 15months ago at Altamonte with a C-section. I went in on a Wed. night to start induction. Baby came via c-section Thursday night and I left around noon on Sunday. I probably could have gone home Sat, but the baby had to stay because of some tests for we both had a fever...So they let me stay too. I really enjoyed the break actually! They wanted the baby to be with me Allll the time and I never got any sleep. I was exhausted to say the least. Don't hesitate to send the  baby to the nursery so that you can have a break!  congrats!
Hi there. I had a c-section on a Friday at 1:00pm and I was discharged from the hospital on Sunday. My OB wanted me to stay until at least Monday but I felt great and wanted to get home so I told her that I wanted to be discharged. I have been great since. I couldn't wait to get home and start being a family and get into the routine.

xoxox,
Danielle
With my c-section I stayed from the day I was admitted at 2 pm, the entire next day and was released the following morning (baby was in nicu).   I ended up "renting" a room for another 2 days becuase my baby was still in nicu.  With my next full term (that one was stillborn) I was in for 7 or 8 days.  My blood work was all screwed up. With my last two: 1 I was admitted at midnight stayed the entire next day and released the following morning, 2 I was admitted at 4 pm that all night, the next day and released the following morning...both times baby was with me entire time, except for nurses to circumcise my son and check weight and stuff.  
I know many people like to put their babies in the nursery but I never wanted my baby to leave my sight-not once!  I figured I'm taking this baby home with me so I better get used to waking up with her now.  I couldnt sleep anyway because I had so much adrenelin (sp?) and I was super excited to be a mommy.  I just wanted to take her home-I was there for 2 miserable nights after vaginal birth.  
kellym - My OB only delivers at Health Central.

LosingMyMindInGA - I'm sorry for your loss.

sck08 - I think I'm going to be the same way. I don't think I'm going to be able to be away from my baby for even a minute, being a first time mom and all. Just thinking about it right now gives me goose bumps!! Can't wait!

Ladies - Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me. It means a lot to me. I'm so glad that I can find support here and feel comfortable talking to you ladies.

I had my son on a Friday evening and stayed until Sunday afternoon. It was a vaginal delivery. He stayed with me because I was breastfeeding, although a couple of times I let them take him to the nursery after I nursed him so I could sleep a little. They would bring him back when he started getting fussy and they thought he needed to eat.
They were very strict about the wrist tags and the safety of the babies. The nursery was locked and I would have to show them my wrist tag through the window before they'd open it to let me get him. I liked that because I didn't have to worry then about anyone stealing my baby.
One thing that impressed me too was the food! It has definately improved over the years! They actually had stuff like samon on their menu! Definately a big improvement over hospital food, lol.
Best wishes on your upcoming birth! I know you're getting excited about seeing your little one. Blessings to both of you!
I had a vaginal delivery.  I stayed at the hospital a total of 3 nights.  One night during labor and then 2 nights after birth.  I think most people just stay 1 night afterwards, but it depends on you.  It helps to have the nurses around.  I had my baby with me almost the whole time.  He was taken away for a few hours because he was spitting up amniotic fluid so they sucked it out and watched him for a while so we could sleep. We even kept him in our room while he was under UV lights for jaundice.  The baby next to us was a big time crier, so the parents opted to have the nurses watch her at night.
I was lucky. I got my own room. It was a private hospital though. I wonder if that made a difference?
The good thing about the hospital that I'm delivering at is that all the rooms in L&D are private.They even have a pull-out bed for your spouse in each room.
Nice! Mine just had a little couch to sleep on. My 12 year old daughter wanted to stay the night with me so I let her. She was such a huge help too! She would run get me ice water and hold the baby so I could eat my meal, etc. She just took to this like it was a natural for her.
Some of the rooms even had a jucuzzi tub in them for when you're laboring. Of course, I was so darn fast with all three of my kids I never got to do anything like that. I didn't even get any drugs, I was so fast. I barely made it to the hospital with my last one. My husband almost had to deliver him in the car, lol. It was a bit scary at the time but I made it. At least I was able to relax AFTER he was born, lol.
I hope my delivery goes super fast.
Wellll, I don't think you want it to go as fast as mine, lol. Each pregnancy was faster. With my first, I was in labor all night and went to the hospital the next morning and they sent me home because I hadn't dropped yet or dilated. I was 10 days early. They told me you never deliver early on your first baby. I told them my mom did! But they didn't listen to me. I went home and at 12pm my water broke. I went back in and I was 8cm! They were shocked! I had him at 4pm.

Next child, I warned them I was fast. They didn't listen to me. Since I lived about 45 minutes from the hospital this time I thought I'd better go in before my water broke. So after I had been having steady contractions most of the night, I called them at 2am. They sounded bored and said they GUESSED I could come in and they'd try and find a bed for me. They were real busy that night. My husband and I raced my little boy to the baby sitter and raced to the hospital. I was 5 minutes apart. They checked me when I went in and I was 5cm. They told me to walk around while they found me a bed. I started leaning against the wall because I couldn't walk anymore. I went to the bathroom and my water broke and I saw blood. I told them and they helped me into a bed. I couldn't even walk at that point! They had to haul me into the bed. Then they checked me and panicked. I was fully dilated and the head was coming out. They started racing with me to the delivery room. I heard one nurse shout to the other "I thought she was only 5cm!!" The other one said "She WAS when she came in!" It was kinda funny when I looked back on it. When I got to the delivery room, the doctor was hurridly putting on gloves and trying to keep her head from coming out. They didn't even get an IV in me until after she was born.

3rd and last child. I started having contractions through the night. I went in that night and told them I have fast labors. They checked me and I wasn't dilated. The contractions had stopped too. I should have insisted on staying but I let them send me home. I went home and tried to get some rest. Got up in the morning and took a shower and went for a walk, slowly. I was still having contractions but I didn't want them to send me home again so I thought I'd wait until my water broke. I waited too long. I waited until they were painful and regular. We finally left for the hospital that evening. I was getting scared in the car because I was getting the urge to push. I knew that wasn't good! My husband was speeding and panicking. I told him I needed to push. He raced into the ER and told them I was having a baby and a security guard sauntered out with a wheelchair and helped me into it. It was 6:29pm. He started wheeling me down the corridors and I told him he'd better hurry because I was not going to make it. He was like, "Well maam, I have to be careful." Grrr! I had to grit my teeth! They got me to the L&D and to a room and I stood up, stripped off my shorts, layed on the bed and they were shocked again! The head was right there. With one push the head was out and they made me stop because his umbilical cord was around the neck and they wanted to cut it off. With a second push he was out. I had him at 6:32. Yes, that's right! 3 minutes after I arrived at the hospital! If my husband had one more red light, I wouldn't have made it. It scared me to think about that.I was so fast, the nurses had to deliver him. The doctor didn't show up until after he was born and just to stitch me up.

So, even thought it's nice to be fast in some ways, I don't think you want to be as fast as I was! What really got me was I wasn't able to get drugs with any of my kids! I was all natural. I really had hoped to be able to get something with my 3rd but it didn't work out that way. Also, my mom was supposed to be in the room with me and I was so fast, she didn't make it. I was also so fast I tore. Of course all of my kids were big babies too.But they were all healthy and beautiful and I guess that's all that matters!
Sorry this is so long! Just thought I'd share my story.
WOW! That is some story...If you had the time would have chosen to get drugs or no?
Oh yeah! I wanted the drugs but they wouldn't give me any with any of my kids because I was so fast and they said it would affect the baby. At least I was so fast that the pain didn't last too long and it was over once I held that little baby in my arms. You forget all about it! :)
So did anyone have a 4th degree tear? Or did you tear the "wrong way"? How fast did you heal? Did it hurt to pee? Did it hurt to sit? Did you take pain meds for it? Could you breastfeed with the pain meds? Sorry for all the questions...
With my 1st one I had an episiotomy, 2nd and 3rd one I tore and had to be stitched up. It still wasn't too bad. I didn't need any extra pain meds. I just took it easy, sat carefully for awhile and I also breastfed my 3rd child. Get some tucks pads and line about 3 or 4 along your sanitary pad every time you go to the bathroom and change your pad. It feels wonderful and cool against your skin and really helps speed up the recovery! Also do sitz baths once a day if you can. It's not too bad. You should heal pretty quickly. Try not to worry.
i had a csection. Lexi was signed out and ready to go before me... but that's just cause she was healthy and ready lol. I had baby blues hit me hard the third day so they made me stay a little longer. I had her on sun at 1am and i think it was thur before I got home... my big advice is REST. everyone says they love their baby and want to be with it... i didn't too. I didn't realize the stress of haveing her and alll the people that came.... i wore myself out (and was a bit sick and not eating) and it is a part of my long boring stay.... rest and get home....