Maternal & Child Community
How long does cramping last after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a miscarriage on Monday night, passed clots (sorry if tmi) and had heavy bleeding and cramping. I went to the ER they gave me fluids and meds to make me comfortable. Anyways, yesterday I still had cramps but the bleeding wasn't bad at all... this morning I have cramps and the bleeding is a little heavier... is that normal?? And I'm so tired.... is that just the emotional part of it? sorry for all the questions...
I am so sorry for what you are going through! To answer your question, it can be normal to vary the amount you bleed and cramp. Your body is just changing and eliminating what it needs to, and it can be normal to slow down but then have it start up more heavily again.

As for being tired, I am not sure, but it is probably hormonal.Your body is going thru so much and your hormones are all haywire. And like you said, it can also be emotional---your brain wants to just sleep so as to not feel the pain.

I am so sorry hon.I had a miscarriage in Sep 2006 and it was sad and hard.
My thoughts are with you! :)
First off, I'm so sorry for your loss. I M/C last year and had cramping and bleeding for almost 8 days. Not all of which was severe, but  it was on and off. I would say you are tired from all of the emotional stuff, I'm sure you have shed several tears, & that will get you down everytime. Give it time.... thats the only thing that helps :(
I am sorry for your loss, I miscarried in January of this year and continued to bleed on and off for 7 weeks. Everyone is different
I miscarried in sept 07 and I bled for 4-5 days with about a week of cramping..it takes a few days hun...just try to relax as much as possible. I'm sorry for your loss, and good luck in the future!
I wanted to share my experience and hopefully it will help someone:

I was 8.5/9 weeks pregnant when an ultrasound determined that there was no heartbeat. I was in shock because 2 weeks before, I had an ultrasound showing a strong heartbeat.

I was given misoprostol take vaginally to bring on the miscarriage. I took it on Wed. It was horrible. The pain was unbearable at times; I was paralyzed with pain at times even after popping in two tyn. 3. I finally passed late that evening. Thursday was great...no cramping, I had bleeding which is to be expected. Friday afternoon.. I had excruciating abd. pain again, and was told that my body wasn't finished expelling. I continued to discharge clots, and tissue and then the pain went away.  Today, Saturday I have the same pain.. and I am waiting to finishing expelling what ever is left.

I hope this doesn't last much longer. I would recommend getting a D&C if this ever happens again.
I just took the same medicine as you did. I starting cramping 3hrs after i took it. It frickin hurts. I had some of the other not so pleasant symptoms(nasuea etc). I really hope this gets over sooner than you are experiencing! It is pretty rough.
I would like to share my story also.
I was at work and had cramps and some spotting so i freaked out and went to the hospital they checked me for everything and said everything was fine.... the next day my cramps were worse! and the bleeding was heavier so i went back they did a whole bunch of test AGAIN! and they told me i was having a misscarriage wtf i was just there not even 12 hours ago and they told me i was fine!! they did a sonagram (my first sonagram) and they turned on the sound and i just started balling cuz u couldnt hear anything! i was so upset! so they gave me hydros to make the pain go away but all that night i was screaming in pain couldnt move eat or sleep! so i was up all night I was even taking my medicine and HYDROCODONES NOT DOING ANYTHING?!?! are u kidding me!! it was that bad! so now i have been bleeding and cramping for almost 3 weeks 2 days ago i had a BIG clot come out hate to say it like this but i was sitting there with some friends i went to get up and walk i took 2 steps and my crotch EXPLODED!! i had no clue wat happened but my pants were soaked with blood!!! and there was a 3 big clots on my pad so im pretty sure it was the baby.. and im still cramping and bleeding and horrid back pain!  But we are going to try again in 6 months hopefully nothing goes wrong..