Maternal & Child Community
How long does it take to heal from a C-Section?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi!  I am a first time mom and had to have an emergnacy c-section at 38 weeks.  Today is 2 weeks since I had my little boy and was just wondering how long does it take to heal at the cut with a c-section?  The spot that hurts the worst is right below my belly button under the fold of my stomach where the middle of the cut is.  Were they had to cut my hair below the scare is swollen.  I am just wondering if that is normal.  I've been doing everything the doctor told me to as far as drying it off and keeping it dry.  If someone can shine some light on it for me that would be great because I don't have a follow up visit until next Thrusday.  Thanks
That is normal! Mine healed to that point and then the middle section got infected, so make sure you keep it very clean!!!
sounds normal to me. last week, at 5 weeks post partum, i went back to the dr convinced that my incision must've been infected. the pubic area below was very swollen and sore, and everything else was very sore too, even though it had started to feel better weeks earlier. it was so bad i took a percocet. dr said it was normal healing. i even had some yellow puss ooze 2 days earlier- he still said it looked ok. at 6 weeks pp i now feel much better and can lift and move with ease. but it took a while. hang in there.(by the way, at 2 weeks pp i was still very very sore)
This is interesting to learn.  I just had my staples out today and my incision site is still heavily swollen (9 days PP).  I am paranoid that I will open that cut up with moving around!  I'm numb above and below the incision site, but not on it itself, and I have a lot of adhesion (scar tissue) to deal with in that area (since this c-section was my 4th surgery in that general area).
Oh!  My doctor told me to wait 6 months to a year before trying to get pregnant again because of the C-Section.  Has anyone else been told this?  I only have 1 ovary left... it could take another 10 yrs to get pregnant again... wish I didn't have to wait that long!
with my c i became infected. after getting antibiotics i would say at 3-4 weeks i was out walking my son in his stroller, and by 6 weeks i was good to go.  but we are all different, this next one who knows.  i had numbness on my upper right thigh for about 6 months or more hard to remember.  then it started to tingle and the feeling came back.  6-1yr?  i had never asked because that just couldnt have crossed my mind lol.  you never know, my girlfriend had bad endo and had a child at 17.  then she and her husband figured they couldnt so they didnt use b.c and at 34 whamo.  then a few years later again!  she figured she suddenly became a fertile myrtle and put an end to that lol.  this past week i couldnt even imagine doing this again, or not for quite some time, im tired!!!
i had a c-section in early may, and get the staples out a week after, the incesion was swallowen all the time until 6 weeks, the sorness is from the pressure they put on your belly to get the baby out, the most hurting point for me is on the left side of the incesion because when i lost my baby i went crazy and hit myself and i was crying too much and screaming, which all is not god, and this spot is still hurting me untll now.
immortal my doctor did not told me anything about the wait, at the 6 weeks appoitments he asked me if i want birth control or no, i asked him for something that can get me pregnant faster, he told me if i did not got pregnant in 6 months he will give me something, but told me to try.
Healing from a c-section for purposes of having another baby -- you're supposed to wait at least 6 months, and some doctors say 18 months.  Healing in general so you can walk around without pain -- sooner.
Thanks for the information.  I'am definitly not trying to heal to have another baby.  I just want to feel better so that I can pick my son up alot better than I do know because at night it's still hard for me to get out of bed with the pain still there.  I have pain meds but I'm trying not to take them because I am the only one home during the day with my son and I need to be alert.  Thanks for all the info.
I guess I got lucky.  I had a c section 3 weeks ago and I stopped taking pain meds more than 2 weeks ago.  I have a big pooch above the scar that is tender but the area of my scar doesn't hurt at all.  I was wondering when the area would heal too because I'm dying to go back in my pool!!!!
I was shopping at target the day after I came home from the hospital.  I didn't have staples though.  They stitched me with disolvable stitches.  Maybe that makes a difference??

Immortal_you know whats funny......During my section the doctor told me I was missing my left ovary and only had the start of that tube???   Isn't that weird!!!   I got pregnant without a problem.  It was keeping them that was the problem.  I wonder if that had anything to do with my m/c.  I want to get pregnant again in 2 years.  I hope I can.
wow Lynne!  I had a bunch of running to do yesterday (9 days PP) and it wore so badly on me that I was sore all day today too from it!  I have some really bad adhesion problems though, where if I turn just one way or another (normal turning) it is a sharp pain - stupid scar tissue.  It's now 10 days PP and I still have issues coughing and blowing my nose, as well as standing and sitting.  I stopped the Vicodine and am only taking the Motrin now.

I know that I have so much scar tissue down there that it does put me at higher risk for ectopic as well.  We never needed BC, after all it was 4 years from the last m/c till getting pregnant with Lilith.  And with my Graves' Disease it makes it even more difficult.  My mom mentioned how each of my pregnancies and deliveries have gotten progressively more difficult and dangerous, and that I should maybe we grateful for what I have... I understand her concern, I don't know if she understands mine.  More so, if God is willing to grace us with one more than he will, else he won't and we count our blessings.
Immortal-I know what you mean.  Ayden is my first but I went through a horrible pregnancy for him and I feel very lucky to have him.  I really want another one and god willing I will be able to someday but if not then I feel fortunate for him and plan to spend every second of the day remembering that.  
Exactly, Lilith was a miracle child and a survivor.  Not just in the ability to conceive her against the odds, but the surgery she had to endure, the complications after, and the delivery and well... in general this baby was meant to be and every day when I give thanks to God for what I have been blessed with, I can never leave my children out of my prayers - especially her.
It has been 5 months since my c-section and till find it very sore to touch, mostly right above the incision. Just wondering if 5 months is normal.
I had a c-section 3 weeks ago how long does it take to heal?