Maternal & Child Community
How long does it take vicodin to leave a unborn fetus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi!
I was prescribed vicodin and I take them pretty regularly (about 3-4 a day) but I now stopped at 32 weeks because Iam so scared of my baby being born with an addiction and I take them for teeth pain/ migrains. I was just wondering if thats a good amount of time or could she still have problems?
If you aren't abusing vicodin or taking excessive amounts for long periods of time, there should be little effect on the baby.

Obviously, the less medication you use during pregnancy, the better.  So take as little as you can.  Often times, plain Tylenol taken occasionally is very helpful.  Not perfect, but it may at least get you through rough patches until the baby is born.

If you are having such uncontrollable, daily pain from migraines that you are requiring up to 4 Vicodin a day, you really should discuss this with your doctor.  There are other medications and therapies that could be used to help.  4 Vicodins a day is quite a lot, when taken long term.  There is a concern in taking that much acetamenophen (Tylenol) that is contained in the Vicodin for very long periods of time.  

So if you are having poorly controlled pain, please discuss with your doctor.  Otherwise, taper down so that you are taking as little as you can, comfortably.
Hello!  

First of all...my doctor had me on darvocet (to control chronic back pain due to a ruptured disc/disc fragmentation) from the time I was about 3-4 months until 1 week before delivery.  My daughter was absolutely fine.

If you are taking the prescribed amount...then the amount being transferred to your baby is extremely small....I wouldn't worry about your child being addicted.

As far as the levels of acetaminophen...The limit of acetaminophen you should have per day is about 3000 mg.  If you are on vicodin...then the chances of you reaching that level with only 4 a day is VERY low.  I have been on every narcotic pain killer under the sun since March...and have repeated liver panel tests done...and things are fine.  My acetaminophen levels are also fairly low...and I promise I am taking WAY more then you are.

You also need to keep in mind that when you are in extreme pain...your anxiety/stress level goes up...which DEFINITELY not good during pregnancy.  You should discuss this with your OB...I am sure that together you guys can come up with a plan that will not only be safe for your unborn baby...but that will also not leave you in horrible pain.

I hope this helps!!
What is true for one person, may not be true for another.  I'm glad your liver is in good shape--we have to remember that we know nothing of the medical condition of the original poster.  

During pregnancy, the less medication the better.  Obviously, no one should not be in agony during the entire time.  It is always best to limit exposure to drugs as much as we can, and women should consult with a doctor if pain is such that it is uncontrollable with other means.  

The fact that your daughter was fine is wonderful.  I have to tell you that some infants born of women who use these medications are not always fine, and to suggest that because your baby is fine, that all babies will be fine is not necessarily true.  Most babies exposed to prenatal narcotic use, if it is not excessive and prolonged, will be fine, as your baby was.  But always use the least you can comfortably get by with.  

I'm glad to see you also recommended that she consult with her doctor to come up with a workable plan, which is always best.

Well my pharmacist told me just to not take more than 5 a day and a couple of times my whole pregnancy I took 6 (when the pain was just too unbearable which was maybe 3 or 4 times) I go to a nerologist as well and they told me the medication I should be on is too dangerous during my pregnancy. but some days or weeks I take none but when I get the teeth pain I have to take some or 6 Tylenol and Iam guessing thats not good. But the pain I will just deal with the last 2 months because I don't want her born with problems. I go to my Dr. on the 4th Iam gonna talk to her :-)
If you are having a great deal of tooth pain, it is not impossible to have dental work done during pregnancy.  Check with your ob-gyn beforehand, but it could solve the problem without more painkillers.  Also, something that can help a great deal with chronic pain in a surprisingly short time (only one or two treatments, often) is acupuncture.  A lot of women use it during pregnancy for aches and pains, to help the baby grow, or even for morning sickness.  I recently found it worked beautifully for muscle pulls in my shoulder.  Your ob-gyn might even have a reference to an acupuncturist who specializes in women's issues.  Good luck in any event, and I am glad you are off the Vicodin.  It really CAN get to be habit forming, and I'm not talking about the baby.
It seems taking 120 to 180 pills per month that are categorized as a "C" by the FDA is something you really want to avoid. They are highly addictive and you might need help to get off  them--especially where your usage is so regular. You also build up a tolerance and have to take more and more to feel the same level of relief.  Your ob/gyn should probably be working DIRECTLY with your neurologist to determine safe alternate treatments or to supervise your painkiller use. Do they communicate?

Out of curiosity, who writes you such extensive prescriptions, the neurologist, the dentist, the ob/gyn?  More than one of them? I have had surgery and could never get more than 1 or 2 per day for a week or so.
My biggest question is after stopping at my 32nd week could the baby still be born addicted or would it be all out of our system?