Maternal & Child Community
How long should I keep the ejaculation in if trying to get pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My husband and I just tarted trying to get pregnant last month.  Just before my most fertile days began I got the flu.  Needless to say we couldn't try for a few days.  We had a few days to try again after I got well enough and then my hubby got the flu a few days later.  Argh!  We still had approx. 5days of fertile days left and so of course we did the best we could. Wink! Wink!  

My question is.... how long should I be keeping the ejaculation in my body after he has finished?  I don't want to 'empty' out too early because I am afraid that it won't give the sperm enough time to 'co-mingle' with my eggs.  

I took a HPT this morning and it came out negative so we will try again for a baby after I am finished my period.  (I should be starting in 3 days).  

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Lots of people say just lay there for a while
Or some say put your hips up propped up on some pillows

Unless dh has a problem with his sperm motility I dont think they need any help they will get were they are going by themselves
I think its more of the timing and on the right day!
Obviously I'm no expert but somehow I managed to get pregnant. I just tried at night before bed time then I would just put on a pair of underwear I didn't care if they got a little soiled and would go to sleep. Surprise it worked. I'm not sure the best way to do this but my way seemed to work although I did hear that it doesn't matter how long you wait to clean up because as long as your man is fertile his swimmers are well on their way by the time you can get to the bathroom.
GOOD LUCK
what if i want to use the restroom right after that?. can this wash all sperm?. sorry to be so graphic, but sometimes i want to use the basthroom rigth after we have intercourse
I've been told to hold either legs of hips up for about 15 to 20mins
I can tell you that when I was trying and we used IUI's(intra uterine insemintaions hubbys sperm) the dr. would insert the catheter with the sperm into my uterus on the side where the mature follicle was and drop all the sperm there.  Then i was told to lay there flat on my back with my knees bent up for 30 min. a few times i had to pee but had to hold it becuase then Gravity would work against us.  I am figuring the same would be for someone that is trying in a "natural setting".  If not even more so considering a lot of sperm lose their way looking for the egg .(just like a man wont stop and ask for directions)  I really hope this helps.  For us the only way we were able to finally concieve (conceive) was thrrough IUIS and IF drugs.  but the positive thing about that was that we were able to enjoy sex again... after so llong trying it was starting to feel like a task.

Best of luck and God bless you

any more ?? do not hesitate to post

Lisa
I have always heard you should go to the bathroom after intercourse for sanitary reasons but if you could hold out for a few minutes you may have a better chance of getting pg but I am not sure though.  The three times I got pg (one was a m/c) I had sex and bascially rolled over and went to sleep.  No yoga moves or pretzel twisting for me LOL.  O well you gotta do what works.  Good Luck to all of you.
i know  pee comes from a different place.  thanks for the clarification. just trynng the figure it out the best way to help the concepcion)))
I am sure that you did know where the pee comes from. I understood your posting.  When you pee you relax and so everything else comes out of your vagina too.  it happens during your period too.  When you pee that is when you release more.

Fully understood your post!  Take care!
Glad to hear everyone knows pee and discharge come from different parts:D

Don't be offended ladies, there are acctually people that don't know and i guess it was being made sure that wasn't the case.

BABY DUST************************************************************
hey guya i appreciate just the fact you  take the time to make comments and, wouldn't be offended at all. baby dust to everybody)))
WOWWW!!! I'm 24 going on 25 and did not know pee came from a different hole... LOL!! :)Thinks for the info, because last night when me and my husband did the deed I had to pee and I did but I didn't want to because I thought it would make the sperm come out..WOWWW!!Maybe I need to take sex education again :))
-Stephanie
hi ive never posted before but would really like to get involved after reading some of the posts it seems like a brill support network for hopeful parents to be which i am ... i must say i think legs up a wall works brill for keeping those little swimmers in the right place but... i dont seem to have a problem i got caught but unfortunatly m/c on the 17th sept with a coil... just out of interest i then had a d&c on 21st and spotted a little and today i have got period style bleeding could this be my first proper period since the m/c or is it too soon..

dont forget the only way is up for the little guys so elevated legs cant hurt any can they.....
Sorry for your loss, i will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Here is some baby dust************************************

P.S Are you from britain? it's just when you used the brill coment a few times. I'm from scotland.... but i now live in canada. I'm also ttc:)
Very funny!!!!
I didn't mean to offend anyone. S-michelle, glad someone was helped by it. Yes, I was just making sure in case some didn't realize, cuz I guess there are some who don't after all. Trik. are you from Australia perhaps??? I think that "getting caught" comment , meaning pregnancy, I've heard from Australia, perhaps Great Britain??? My hubby was in Australia when in the U.S. Navy. Anyways, didn't mean to offend anyone. God bless all!!!
The good news is that when you experience "leakage" it is just the leftover "media" in which it travels. By the time it comes out (even if you get up within a few minutes) the little swimmers are already on their way. There is more than enough that stays up there that you are safe.

I have been pg 6 times and not once have I stayed in bed with my legs up for 20 minutes : )

Good luck!

Andrea
I usually lay with a pillow under butt, with legs up against wall for about 30 mins, just to be sure. Be careful when getting up from that position though, major head rush if you don't!!! Lol!!! I had to pee last time, but I held it. Pee comes out of diffrent spot then the sperm, by the way. Sorry to be graphic, but it's true!!! Anything that leaks out by then probably does not have any sperm in it, it's just left over seminal fluid, which is part of what comes from the guy--once again sorry for graphics. =(~ Let us know what happens!!! God bless!
I am fully aware that pee come from a different hole and not the vagina!  ha!  Thanks though!  
Thank you for your advice!  

I will try to keep it in longer and not worry about dripping.  I put a towel under mem right away all the time anyways so I don't care if it drips on that!

Take care.
Sorry the pee part was more directed at others who seemed to think it did. Let us know what happens! God bless!
I'm pretty sure michelle was taking the p**s.
I'm from britain and brill is a comon comment.
Don't worry about the pee comment, it's true some people don't know.
eeew..but even when my bf pulls out afterward, some seems to come out right away. I propped on pillows today, felt so funny! I'm counting on the sperm making it up there mostly on it's own. I often have to pee right after sex,too- I wonder why it's so common?!
Thank you for your help! I guess I am not doing anything too wrong!  I do keep it in for a little while after but then it starts to drip out so I have to go and 'let it out'.  Sorry!

I have tried to keep it in longer by holding my legs at the back of my thighs so that my buttocks is raised a bit and then the dripping doesn't happen as quickly.

Really though, should we have to do anything TOO differnt when there are women who get pregnant bu accident and they do the same thing every time I am sure!  

I won't fret it, I just think that we had an unfortunate month with both of us being sick.  I had also come off the pill just before my period that month.

I will keep you posted on what happens next month!

Ps: I am taking anither HTP tomorrow morning b/c I think i may have taken it wrong and the packege came with two anyways!  (Early response.  Only $14 in Canada and you get two!)

So my question about the last post....I am a bathroom user after sex and i have sex at all times of day...so should I maybe after going pee lay down on the couch for a little bit...I have noticed some if his little swimmers exiting my body a good 10 - 15 minutes after sex.  So would that be a good idea to relax and lay down at that time?
hi yes im from great britain and very much ttc after the m/c i m/c on the 17th sept and had a d/c on 21st ... when should i expect my first period sweeties any ideas ...
baby dust to ya all.....x
i have to get up right after sex cuz i get UTIs...and i have gotten PG as well. the semen coagulates for 10 min after ejaculation and sticks to the cervix to ensure the sperm enter the cervix. any leakage is due to seminal fluid, dead or damaged sperm, and vaginal fluid. after 10 min or so the semen then reliquifies and slowly ...or quickly if you are standing or on the potty ...leaks out. and michelle don't feel bad for not knowing the pee and fluids come out of different holes....my DH didn't either. he figured that since all his business came from one whole so did mine :)

BABY DUST STORM to all of us TTCers.....kimmie
that isn't neccessary...it isn't the sperm leaving your body....it is just the seminal fluid and vaginal fluid. after 10-15 min all the sperm are where they are supposed to be. mother nature has a great design to keeping the sperm in there when we stand....thats why it coagulates and sticks there. if you gotta pee do it....do what ever you want afterwards except douche. i have never laid down for any length of time after sex...i will get a UTI if i do. and i have gotten pregnant. so have fun and i hope you get your baby soon!!!

love, hugs, and baby dust....kimmie
In reference to my opening post, I took an HPT this morning and it was negative again.  Positive I am not pregnant.  Eased my mind of wondering if I am and now I know I will just have to TTC next month again! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions for this question!  

Last post for this one from me!
hello, this is my first post and I would like to know if  anyone can answer my question.  My husband and I are ttc our second child and my husband is sick to his stomach right now. This is his second time being sick to his stomach in three weeks. He has diarhea (diarrhea), and stomach cramping. I have heard that this can affect conception or affect the baby, is this true???? can someone help me answer this please. thx
Im not sure if his being sick would affect your getting pregnant, but if hes not feeling well during you ovulation time, it might put a damper on his mood!
Hello (:
My name is Nara. I have been on the internet for days looking up information on the best way to get pregnant. I was on birth control for almost two years when my boyfriend wanted me to get off of it. After I got off of it I had my period right away and after 3 months of being off of it I am still having regular periods. My boyfriend and I have sex on a regular basis and I still am not pregnant. He yells at me everytime I get up to go to the bathroom right after sex. I just feel gross if I don't. Is he right for yelling at me for doing that? What are some things I could do different to get pregnant.?
my boyfriend and I are trying for a baby. we just had intercourse but right after we got done I sat up to kiss him. could the sperm still have swam up? or did it all fall out?