Maternal & Child Community
How many times to BD when TTC?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How many times to BD when TTC?

I had a natural m/c on May 1st and got AF on May 28th. My dh and I started bd yesterdsay. We want the best chance possible of ttc. I am a healthy 24 year old and have already had a successful pregnancy to term with the outcome of a beautiful baby girl. I want to make sure to do everything right. I read somewhere the chances of pregnancy increase greatly when you bd everyday. I kinda figured I ovulate on the 11th of June but started to bd since yesterday. Do you think the 5th-14th of TTC is too much or just increases my chances?? I am hoping and praying os hard. Any advice whats the best method?
Though I am no expert, I have heard from several others that you should only bd every other day.  if you bd daily your dh's sperm count goes down.  plus sperm can live up to 72 hours, thus you are covered on the days you do not bd.  Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

My non-expert advise (though MUCH easier said then done) do not stress about it and try NOT to regulate to the anxiety level... you often hear the couples ttc for years then they stop trying and "give up" and then they receive bfp!!

regardless, prayers are with you, but i truly would not bd every day due to sperm count although others may totally disagree and give more credible advise?!?!

again, good luck!
I have read that everyday is the best if no problems are present with his guys. My ob says every other day is sufficient. Sperm will live until another batch gets there to relieve the first troops. HaHa (and then some)Do you chart bbt? If not I would give it a try. Keep an eye on cervical fluid. This is the most important factor. When you see EW cervical fluid (or wet)you'll know 'o' is near. Keep us posted.
Anytime i have tried to conceive I have gone with every other day and have gotten pg several times using that method. Less stress on you and dh, makes it seem more spontaneous than cracking the whip every day ; )

Andi
We only ever got pregnant going every other day-- sperm live up to 5 (have heard even 7) days but you do need the volume to be up there. It can't hurt even if you are young and have good counts.
My DH would say every day. I think every other day is sufficient, but if you are both healthy and no problems every day is ok. Just don't presure yourselves to bd every day. If you have the time and energy, every day is good, but totally don't feel bad if you can't one day or just don't want to. Good luck.
Since the sperm have to biochemically change or "capacitate" prior to fertilization, intercourse before egg release is important. Sperm may live in the cervix and fallopian tube for up to four days. If a woman's menstrual cycle is on average 28 days long, intercourse every other day or every day between days 11 and 17 gives the best chance of success. Intercourse does not have to occur on the actual day of ovulation for conception to occur. Daily intercourse does not reduce fertility through sperm depletion and may actually enhance it.

just found this info on a infertility site. Hope it helps.
dh and I bd the 3 days before and the day of ovulation. My dr said to bd 3 times per week. (every other day)
I've had luck 3 times conceiving right away by using OPKs and BDing everyday. However, DH and I don't start to bd until I get my surge and then we BD every day from the day of the surge and for 3-4 days following.
Thank you all for your input and advice on the subject. It seems like a majority of you say that bding every other day is sufficient enough. How long after your period does it usually take for you to see the EWM? Sorry to be so graphic, but when I wiped about2 days after my Af, it was already starting to get sticky. Not really really stick but noticable. So my Dh and I have started on our Bd kick. I am hoping we have luck. I am not doing BBT because I work a 7 on 7 off night shift and am too tired to remember or to even do it. I guess that is being presumptious but I am hoping as long as we bd every other day up until the 14th hopefully we will have a bfp! My period started on the 28th of May and ended June 3rd -4th. Any ideas of when I would ovulate? I am usually very regular! (almost 28days everytime!
Every other day has always worked for us. I would say you will most likely ovulate around June 10-11th.
I am ttc also afer haveing a m/c in March. I had a D&C done and we kind of tired after my first period but just didn't hit the right days.
With my daughter we did every other day untill it got closer to the time for me to ovulate then we went to once a day.
I think I will try that again..I also got a ovulation kit to try, I've never used one of those before. I like to go go babyhopes and it will let you chart when your best chances are to get prego.
Good luck :)
Maybe we will get prego together!
We have only tried to conceive three times, and all times got a bfp on the first month we tried... each time, we bd starting about 5 days before scheduled to O (I'm fairly regular, so knowing when isn't a problem), and bd every day until 5 days after O.  Plus we try to bd every other day for the rest of the month (i.e. from the end of AF till 5 days before O, and from 5 days after O until AF is due).  I think the main thing is to have fun, relax, and listen to your body.
Well today is the 7th and according to my cycle and the ovulation predictors this starts my possibly chances of conceiving days. I plan to bd on the 9th 10th and 11th as these days are my very very high ovulation days and hope for the best. We are going away to florida June 24th-July 1st, just us and our daughter, but hopefully along with relaxing we might also find out some good news!!! wish us luck!!! Baby dust!!!