Maternal & Child Community
How many ultrasounds did you get (or expect to get) throughout your pre...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How many ultrasounds did you get (or expect to get) throughout your pregnancy?

Just wondering if my OB is being cheap or if my insurance company is being cheap.  My previous OB used to be less reluctant with giving ultrasounds.  With this new, and 'better-trained' OB, she just feels I don't need it.  Maybe it's just a bad print, but I thought I saw a SIXTH finger on one of my ultrasound printout!  It's just nice to see everythning is okay after the 18th week and into my third trimester.  Good luck to all.
froggies is right about complications. I have an u/s once a month, I see a high risk doctor and the first thing they do is an u/s before you even see the dcotor. with my others 2 u/s was the norm. I am supposed to find out this friday what we are having.
When do you go to the drs?
I had one at 6w due to complications, and I'll get another one at 18w to determine the gender.  My DH and I tried getting an ultrasound at our last appointment- 12w- so we could get a quick peek at the baby and the doctor said unless there are complications or a reason to do the ultrasound, insurance will not cover the cost.  We left the appointment pretty disappointed.  On the other hand, one of my co-workers is also pregnant and she got an ultrasound because her doctor recently had a baby and is "ultrasound crazy" as my co-worker put it.  I guess it all depends on the doctor.  Best wishes to you!
I go at 4:00 today!  i cant wait to go.  Although I am kinda walking on eggshells cause when I m/c I was supposed to go for my appt. that nite and I started bleeding during the day.  Im a little nervous.  I read somewhere that they sometimes can hear the hb @ 9 weeks so maybe....

I will let you know tomorrow how things go!!
Geez now I have to wait until tomorrow to find out...

LOL!

You will be fine.
If you're not high risk and you haven't been experiencing any problems in your pregnancy, you probably won't get very many u/s. Everyone is supposed to get a level 2 u/s around 20 weeks. Other than that, most normal pregnancys don't really require more u/s.  I had a couple u/s's very early on since I had a previous miscarriage, but once we saw the heartbeat, my doctor didn't do anymore until the 20 week level 2 that is standard. Once you can hear the heartbeat by doplar late in the first trimester, it can releive a lot of stress too, then once you start feeling the baby move it also helps to relieve fears.
   Its pretty unlikely that your baby has 6 fingers. To an untrained eye, we start to think we see anything on those u/s.
If I have time I will get on tonite but I dont know if I will.  I was so freakin exhausted last nite that I went to bed at 8:00!  Can you believe it.  I AM STILL TIRED!!!!
That is ok I don't have computer access at home so I only can get on while I am at work.  I went to bed at 8:30.  I was there too always tired no matter how much sleep I got
good luck at the appointment - I hope you can hear the hb but remember it is still very early.
I dotn rem. being this tired with Troy though.  Prob. cause I have to run after him now so it tires me out.
I think that is the problem we have children now that we have to take care of.
Yea that may very well be the case!!  I hope everything is ok.  Im sure it is but I am still nervous.  You know how that is.
I think I had 2 with my DS.  I have a new dr. so I dont know how many I will have this time.  I had one at 10W 5D and my 2nd one at 24 weeks.  But I had one at 19 weeks (I work at a hospital so I snuck up to u/s and they scanned me and told me what it was).  

This go around I have had one already and I will find out today when I will go for another one.  Hopefully soon.  I just wanna see that everything is progressing.  I saw my little peanut at 6W4D I am now 9W.  We saw the hb and stuff it was 121bpm.

How many is your dr. wanting to give you??
It all depends if you have compications too.  I had 4 or 5 with DD I have GD so I got more.  With this one I had two due to some spotting.  NExt is at 19 weeks and that is it then
I just scanned everyones responses to your question so I'm not sure if this was already addressed....but I wanted to reassure you about the SIXTH finger thing.  My DD was moving all over the place during our one (and ONLY) ultrasound at 18 weeks.  Several of my ultrasound pictures are blurry and it appeared that some of her features were pretty distorted...even though she turned out perfectly normal.  My guess would be that your little bean was jumping around a lot and possibly the sonogram pic is just "fuzzy" and looks different.  :)

Amy
Yea I am not gonna fret if I dont hear it today.  i would just love to just to be reassured.  Even tho I know everything is ok.  I know there is more of a chance that I wont hear it than I will hear it this time.  Heck, they may not even try.  Who knows!  I just cant wait to go.
In canada it is pretty standard if you're low risk to have 2 u/s. The first u/s is at 12 weeks and that is the nuchal translucency u/s to check for Downs and other neural tube defects. The 2nd u/s is btwn 18-20 weeks and it's usually a level 3 u/s to check your baby's entire anatomy. If there are no further complications, no more u/s will be performed.
I would google the regular news from yesterday on this issue; just last night I caught a news segment from CBS that said there is some question of whether too many ultrasounds have a negative effect on the baby's brain development.  They suggested women not go get those 3D and 4D ones just for fun, but only stay with the ones the doctor recommends.  Now, that was just one news report, but it made me a little more leery of ultrasound in general.  My main point is, just because we like to see our little bean, it doesn't mean there is really a lot of medically justified reason to have lots and lots of ultrasounds done.  So if your present doctor is less forthcoming with them than the previous doc, maybe that isn't all bad.  I decided not ask for any they don't suggest.
Ultrasound Might Affect Baby's Brain Development
08.08.06, 12:00 AM ET

TUESDAY, Aug. 8 (HealthDay News) -- Preliminary findings in mice suggest that fetal ultrasound might affect newborn brain development.

In baby mice whose mothers were exposed to ultrasound for 30 minutes or longer during pregnancy, a small but significant number of nerve cells did not migrate to their proper locations in the brain, Yale University researchers reported in this week's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"These results call for a further investigation in larger and slower-developing brains of non-human primates and comprehensive epidemiological studies in humans," the team wrote.

But Dr. Pasko Rakic, chairman of the Yale department of neurobiology and leader of the study, was quick to offer parents reassurance about the safety of ultrasound -- done for the proper reasons -- in human pregnancies.

"If I had a daughter and she was pregnant, I would recommend she had it for medical reasons," Rakic said.

"I couldn't agree with him more," said Dr. Joshua Copel, a professor of obstetrics, gynecology and reproductive sciences at Yale and spokesman for the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG). He was not involved in the study.

Copel stressed that, to minimize any risk, "ultrasound should be performed for medical reasons, not for entertainment."

The researchers noted that mice are very different from humans, so the results of their study must be interpreted with caution.

"The forms of migration [of brain cells] and the timing of migration differ in primates like humans than in mice," Copel said. "In humans, there is a much longer period in which neurons [nerve cells] are migrating."

"This was only done in the mouse," Rakic said. "We are going to do the same study in larger animals that are more similar to humans."

A study reported in 2004 by Australian researchers found that repeat ultrasound exams during pregnancy had no long-term effect on either the mental function or growth of children.

That study included more than 2,700 children whose mothers-to-be had ultrasound examinations. The children were examined at 2, 3, 5 and 8 years of age by researchers at the University of Western Australia. They reported no significant differences among the children that might indicate prenatal ultrasound exams had deleterious effects on development.

Nevertheless, Copel said, there is good reason to follow ACOG guidelines, which state that "the lowest possible ultrasound setting should be used to get the necessary diagnostic information" and that the examination should be as brief as possible. A typical pregnancy ultrasound tests lasts 15 to 20 minutes.

"Time and range should be kept to a minimum," Copel said.

While ACOG recommends that ultrasound examinations be done for specific reasons, such as a suspected ectopic pregnancy, a possible miscarriage or detection of possible birth defects, many physicians include one examination as part of routine care, at 18 to 20 weeks of pregnancy. The March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation estimates that 70 percent of American women have at least one ultrasound examination during their pregnancy.
I had also heard that ultrasounds are very uncomfortable for a baby because the machine emits a high screeching sound and really hurts the baby's ears.  Don't know if this is true or not.  Heard it from a midwife.
MY OB siad that we should hear a hb by 7 weeks! I read your post and I know you are further than me so you should be able to see your baby's hb. Good luck sweetie!!
Yea I already saw it on the u/s and got to hear it at 6W 4D.  But I was wondering if I would be able to hear it on the doppler yet.  Thanx will let you know how it goes!!
Stephd,
I got one at 13 weeks for down-syndrome and 18th for fetal survey.  Most insurances only cover the mid-term fetal survey, unless there's complication or if the mom-to-be is over 35 for the down-syndrome one.  My OB said they may give me one before birth to may sure the baby is in the right position.

AnnieBrooke,
I just from about the left-handedness of male fetuses from over-exposure of ultrasound from NPR, because excessive ultrasound may interfere with brain development.  Then I also heard from the secondary sound of something equivalent to a train as could be heard if the ultrasound probe is put right next to the fetus' ear.  Traditionally, it's been believed that ultrasound is harmless.  It gets scarier now.  Just like medication, don't take it unless you need it type of thing.  A friend of mine had headaches throughout and her OB told her daily tylenol is okay.  It ended up her baby's umbilical cord thinned out and shortened so she end up having an early c-section.
Most people get only 2 unless there is a possible problem. In my case (bad track record), I had 3 by 11 weeks, and I get 3 level 2 u/s done by maternal fetal medicine. I will also probably have 2 more done by my regular OB, one at about 20 weeks, and one near my due date. With my daughter I had about 12.
I have great insurance so I get one done at every single visit from my reulgar ob/gyn and I am blessed enough to get a 3D high tch every other 2 weeks at my speialist.
More and more ob's are doing them on ever visit these days.
Good Luck today. Every time I go to the Dr I think my blood pressure skyrockets B/C I get so nervous. I hope you get to hear the heartbeat, but don't get scarred if you don't. My Dr told me we might not even hear it at 12 wk appt. if the baby is laying in a wierd spot.
I will be 13wks on Friday and have already had 5 u/s. I go back on Monday for another with the high risk. I was told by obgyn and high risk they are fine and no evidence of harm to baby. ow that I read what was on cnn thats a little scarry!
i had my first ultrasound at eight weeks 1 day and I was so happy because i got to hear the heartbeat...i had another one at 18 weeks 7 days and the ultrasound tech brought my husband in at the end to show him everything....eyes...ears...nose...lips...arms...legs...heartbeat...and then he asked if its a boy or girl and she said it looks to her like its a girl....my husband really wanted a boy...and after we left he said the ultrasound tech didn't know what shes doing....lol...typical....anyways nows hes very happy its a girl but he still has hope it might be a boy...but i knew early on its a girl....mothers instincts
I have had 4 US (3 related to the pregnancy and 1 not related but they still looked ta the baby) and I am not having a high-risk pregnancy. I am only 18 weeks. They want me to go for another one next month becauset they saw a blotch on the heart but the doc said it could just be an error in the US pic. I have decided to cancel this US because I feel that I have already had too many. The doc says the heart beat and strong and normal (155 bps) so I dont feel I really need it.