Maternal & Child Community
How many ultrasounds???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How many ultrasounds???

How many ultrasounds are ok to have? Is it to many bad for the baby and can it have a consequence on the baby? So far I have had two one in Nov. 19th and then December 2nd in the emergency room. I think I might have another one on the 17th. But I would like to get one done at another hospital tomorrow before the 17th because my boyfriend will be coming with me that day and see the baby. I wouldnt like him to go and see that the baby is not ok not that it is. I jsut want to make sure the baby is ok before he sees it. I have read tho that is bad to have to many ultrasounds. Should I just wait until the 17th?
i asked that same question to the lady that did my 12 week scan.  she said its fine.  she said being a sonographer herself, she did them all the time on her own tummy and it was ok.  i've had 2 already also, and my 12 week scan actually had to be rescheuled for the 20th so that will be my 3rd and then i will have the regular 18-20 week one too.  so i will end up having 4 unless another one is needing farther along down the line.  i think its ok!  :)
I've had 5 already and I'm 14 wks. I'm pregnant with twins and have history of recurrent miscarriage, so that's why all the early US. But I also will have one once per month because of twins, until I deliver. There's no evidence of harm, but my doctor said it is good to be prudent and not just do them "for fun" just in case, because we don't know for sure if there could be too many ultrasounds causing harm. However, many women have as many as me for different reasons and are fine. I'm not too worried about it.
My main reason why I want to do them is because I as well have had misscariages 2 this year. I want to make sure the baby is ok.
what do you mean you'd like to get one at another hospital tommorrow? hmm you confused me there.
I have my normal doctor but she wont see me until the 17th and she might give me an ultrasound and if she does my boyfriend will be there. I had an ultrasound done before and I saw the baby and heard the heartbeat but when I went to the ER I saw the baby but didnt hear the heartbeat. So I scheduel for an appointment tomorrow with another doctor to see the baby and know everything is ok before my boyfriend sees the baby just in case something was wrong
I understand. It's not too many, I really wouldn't worry about it at all. Get an ultrasound if you can.
Did they do the transvaginal u/s??  I had a doctor not be able to see my baby once, but he wasn't very good at it.  I told him to just do the transvaginal and all was well.  I would try not to worry to much.  About the u/s I've been told they will not hurt the baby.  It would probably be better if you did not have to have them constantly...just incase.  I think 3 is the standard they do.  I'm high risk though.  I'm 15w 4d and I've had 13 u/s- I have tons of health problems so I know I'm different.  Not having them is not a option for me, they have to make sure my baby is growing properly due to my gp.
No they didnt they do a transvaginal u/s. I saw the baby and everything so I am not worry about that but the last time i was at the ER they didnt hear a heartbeat I heard it tho the first time I saw my ob. So do you think I should jsut wait unitl the 17th I mean is only a week from now
I can't tell you what to do with this situation.  If its conserning you that much then I would say maybe you should go just for piece of mind.  Stressing is bad on you and the baby.  I don't know why they couldn't find a heart beat, but sometimes they have better results with the transvaginal I wish you could have suggested that.  Apparently they weren't too conserned because I don't think they would have let you go with out telling you, you maybe be looking at a m/c or something else of that nature.  As long as you aren't spotting, bleeding, or cramping badly I think your ok... should any of these symptoms take place I would advise you to go to the er ASAP.  I know this is hard and I'll continue to keep you in my prayers.  Use your own judgement, if you feel you need to go tomorrow, please go.  Let me know how things turn out.  : ) You know where to find me and I'm here anytime you need anything.
I had them weekly from 6-12 weeks due to the IVF and then due to twins we get them monthly like clockwork.  So I'm guessing they are safe.  My boys are growing huge and healthy.  
I actually had over 10 ultrasounds with this pregnancy and she seems to be completely fine. I am currently 39 weeks and 6 days away from my c-section date and everything has gone great so far!
There has been some research done and babies that receive multiple ultrasounds can be born with inner ear problems.  This happened with my son but we had at least 14 ultrasounds due to problems.   There is no set # that is safe.    
I had alot of ulratsounds! I had atleast 7 or 8. ANd my baby was fine.