Maternal & Child Community
How much bleeding is normal at 6 weeks ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 6 weeks preg..and for 2 weeks have been seing brown spotting. Since yesterday it is a pinkand also brown and a little more (like half of the panty liner full in a day)
how much of this is normal?
Hi there,
No bleeding is ever "normal" during pg.  However, some bleeding may not pose any issue.  Only your doctor, after an internal exam, can tell you the cause of the bleeding and also whether or not something is wrong.

However, with brown/pink blood, there's usually no problems.  If you start seeing red blood, then get to the doctor immediately.

Hope this helps, I hope things go well for you!
I don't think that any bleeding during pregnancy is normal although I have heard of people bleeding throughout their entire pregnancy and everything turned out fine.  I think you should talk to your dr. about it and maybe have your hcg monitored to make sure it is rising appropriately.  Have you had an hcg test yet or an ultrasound?
It is just brown and pink...but I am so scared...as this is my first and I have no family with me. Me and my husband are toatally by ourselves.
I will see if my doc can see me today.
Thanks you for your support.
Definately see your dr.. in case.

They treat any bleeding as threatened miscarriage i'm afraid. Although there are some women that bleed all the way through so try not to worry too much.

hope the news is good for you. ((hugs))
I had bleeding of all colors during my 4th week, then again during my 6th week.  I even had bright red bleeding a couple of times and passed a tiny clot.  I was completely afraid and certain that I would m/c, but now I am entering my 16th week.  I don't want to give you any false hope b/c bleedig is a sign of m/c.  I just wanted to let you know that it does happen to some women and there is really nothing wrong.  For me, it was very light spotting each time.  There was only enough to show up on the toilet paper, I did not need a liner.  Like the other post said, the best thing to do see is see your DR.  I know how scary this all is, and I hope that everything turns out OK for you.
I had light brown spotting from week 4 to week 8.  I have read and heard from the doctor that it can go either way.  Half of pregnancys with spotting continue on to healthy births.  The other half end in miscarriage.  Unfortuantely in my case, during week 8 the spotting got a little bit heavier and a lot darker brown.  Within a few days I lost the baby naturally.  I will pray for you and your baby and a healthy pregnancy.  Maybe get your HCG levels tested.  I did that during week 8 and it showed my levels were decreasing so I knew a couple days ahead of time that the miscarriage would take place.  If your levels are doubling then you should be fine.  I hope everything will work out for you!  Just remember there is a good chance that you will go on to have a healthy happy baby!
I went to doc on Monday (i was 5 weeks and 4 days )and she did all the exams. On per vaginal and on th eprbe for Pap she found blood.
She asked \me to take rest for 2-3 days and called me back in 2 weeks.
I have been spotting brown and red blood since 3 days..not much but just wipes off my tissue....is this normal....?
When do u see the heart beat...? as i am oly 5 weeks 4 days is that too early...or am I late ..?
I guess to someone who hasn't gone through this, my comment will sound strange, but it must have been somewhat helpful to have the advance warning that something was not going right.  We learned today that one of the two embryos we had (who were going great guns at the 6 week u/s) stopped growing at 8 weeks 5 days or thereabouts.  That was a week ago, so it is now a matter of waiting to pass it or to absorb it.  I wish my doc had been doing regular HCGs so I would have known a little sooner.  Don't know for sure what that would have solved, but it sure was sad today to see the contrast on the u/s between the lively, wiggly embryo and the inert-mass embryo.  Of course, we still have the other one, doing fine.  But it's a classic good-news bad-news situation, and despite all the doctor's lectures previously about vanishing-twin syndrome, I wasn't prepared.  Had I even had 2 days warning, I would have braced myself a little better for seeing it on the screen.  Anyway, to all the ladies who have miscarried, how sad!  I'm going to make a special Christmas ornament to represent this little potential child, and will treasure it.  It's amazing how much you love them already, even at only 8 weeks.  Annie
If your assessment of the date you got pregnant is accurate, look for a heartbeat on ultrasound during the 6th week, or by week 7 to be sure.  In the fifth week is almost always too early, as the heart doesn't start to beat until 22 days after implantation (and as we all know, that is not three-plus weeks pregnant, it is five-plus weeks pregnant, due to the medical way of counting from the first day of the last menstrual period).  Stay in bed until 24 hours after the spotting stops, and be ready to go back to bed again if it re-starts, and you'll get a clearer answer at the 7 week ultrasound.  Good luck!!!
I am still spotting...for past 3 days....:(