Maternal & Child Community
How much milk intake does a 5 day old baby needs?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My new born is drinking 50ml of milk every 2 hrs , but the docter says it should be 95ml earlier he said it should be 50 ml . Can you pl. help me?
My newborn couldn't eat more than 2 oz which is about 60 ml every 2-3 hours.  I'd say 95 ml (which is a little over 3 oz) could be a lot for your newborn.  If the baby's not fussing and seems content, I wouldn't worry about the intake.  Also, watch out for wet/soiled diapers (I believe it's 6-8 a day).  Good luck and congrats on your baby.
Mine was only eating 2 oz. (60 ml) Now he is 6 weeks old today and has been eating 4 oz. (120 ml) at each feeding for over 2 weeks, he still eats every 2 to 3 hours.  Your baby sounds fine, he should increase soon when he's ready.  My little guy went from 1 1/2 to 2 oz. then all of a sudden he wanted 3 oz.and has slowly increased as he needs to.   I would ask the Dr. if he stays there for awhile and is not growing.  Mine put on 2 lbs. the first month eating like yours is.  I agree with the above poster, make sure you are getting those wet diapers and getting weight gain, and he should be fine.  Congrats!
Avatar n tn
are you guys formula feeding? if not, how are you estimating how much baby is drinking? mine's 7 weeks old, i've been wondering how much she takes in at a feeding so when we incorporate bottles, we'll know how much to offer. she doesnt seem to know what she needs and would suck all day if i let her.
Judge by the output -- I think it is supposed to be 6 - 8 wet diapers and 2 poopy a day, but check this on one of the feeding sites.
Avatar n tn
Thanks a lot for your reply's...
Avatar n tn
before I left the clinic I was told a minimum of 40ml, which is what my little boy was drinking. He put on 820 grams in two weeks.
I am formula feeding.  I was doing both, but due to issues with baby he was put on Nutramigen and it worked, when I nursed he was still having issues, so I cut my loss and stuck with formula.  When you start to use a bottle, start out small, you can always add more formula if they are hungry when it's gone.  That's what I did to start, still let him tell me what he wants.