Maternal & Child Community
How much milk should a 1 year old drink?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm watching a baby who just turned 1 last month. He is on whole milk now. His mom brings the milk over but it just doesn't seem like enough for a growing baby. She says he drinks lots of water. Years ago when I did daycare I was on the food program but I'm not now because I only watch this one baby. I can't remember how much milk pediatricians recommend for a 1 year old.
He's pretty healthy overall. I just worry that he's not getting enough milk. Does anyone know how much milk they recommend for his age?
Thank you!
I always let my kids drink as much as they wanted  - I think they drank around 5 sippy cups a day  so roughly 30 oz.
I always gave Noah about 8oz three times a day, like breakfast, dinner and bedtime. Sometimes I would give him more just cause he loves it so much. You don't want to give them too much or else their tummies will be too full to eat. Usually I would offer the milk after he ate.
my ped. just told me Friday that my son who is one should not drink over a quart of milk a day.  There are 32 oz in a quart.
Wow, that's a lot! She sends over about 12 ounces. He doesn't always drink it all, though. He used to drink it better out of the bottle but she's trying to get him off the bottle. He just doesn't drink it as well in the sippy cup. He's here for about 9 hours so I don't know how much he's getting at home.
I'm with GRose 8 oz. three times a day.  I think it's supposed to be between 16-24 oz.  
I was told by a nutritionist that 16 oz a day is sufficient. I cant believe kids who drink that much milk. OMG  If i gave DD 30oz of milk she wouldnt eat. My DD gets one sippy cup in the morning and one right before bed.
my ped also said 16-24 ounces/day.
Thanks ladies! :)
16-24 OZ A DAY
addy wont drink as much milk a day as she should.  im lucky if i can get 5 oz into her.  i have to give her lots of cheeses and yogurts and such its hard!!  
Yep, 16 to 24 oz a day and you can divide into a cup with every meal, since by age one, toddlers need to begin using cups more often.
He will not drink milk from a cup, though. :( I'm hoping it's a stage and he'll start drinking. His mom wants him completely off the bottle but even she says he's not drinking the milk from a cup. He will drink water or juice from a cup but not milk. I tried today to get him to drink some but he only took like two sips. Do you think it's just an adjustment and he'll come around? I did give him some cheese today. He also likes yogurt. He's a good eater and he used to be good about drinking his milk or formula from a bottle. How long should I give this and is there anything else I can do?
Thanks!
Yes, it will take him adjusting to the change, but it will happen. Try to introduce the cup once a day with milk, while he's eating. Then add one more and one more as the days go by. He'll grow into the sippy cup stage soon. My son didn't really go off the bottle until a couple of months after his first birthday for the same reason, but they adjust. Sometimes it actually helps to do it cold turkey and throw all the bottles away. I've seen it done that way and it's only hard the first and second day maybe. Then they don't have a choice but to drink from the cup and they find that they like it that way too :) Good luck.
Have you tried warming up the milk a little?  I know my oldest dd would only drink milk when it was warm.  In fact, she still likes it warm and she is 4.  My 17 month old doesn't really like milk at all.  She will drink a cup of milk maybe once a day, if I'm lucky.  I just make sure to give her plenty of other dairy, which she does like.  
My son is turning one and is breastfed on demand. I am trying to introduce whole milk in a sippy cup but he just won't take it. I stared giving him water in a sippy at 9 months but he never really drank it, just chewed on it. He is also starting to become less interested in nursing, only about 3 times a day. I'm worried he is not getting enough fluids. He eats yogurt and cheese so i'm not too worried about the calcium, but I don't want him dehydrated. Any suggestions?
If your baby is breast fed on demand they wont get dehydrated the body produces watery foremilk for hydration and thicker hind milk for calories.  
yes, warming it up, even to just room temperature sweetens milk for some reason. Also, if concerned about getting enough milk, feed them whole fat yogurt. And not the babyYo yogurt. That's full of sugar.  Take some plain greek yogurt and mix it with some baby food fruit, like pears or something.
My daughter was breastfed and I found she would not touch bottles or sippy cups, I found a straw bottle with no valve and within an hour she knew what to do and hasn't looked back since. It must have no valve though as they get very frustrated if they can't get anything out. I notice she wraps her tongue around the straw as she would a nipple so its natural for them. The cup she's on now is a Zoli Bot with a weighted straw so she can tip and tilt it and the straw stays in the liquid, but if you find a cheap slightly flexible bottle to begin with you squeeze it slightly when they have the straw in the mouth and deliver some liquid in and after a few times, once they know that sucking get them liquid they'll do it themselves. She was on a straw cup with water from about 9 months.
1 year olds should only drink 2-3 sippy cups of milk a day,3 or more can cause them big problems,my doctor and peditrician told me to only give my son 16 oz of milk a day
Does that help them sleep for longer?? My little girl turned one on the 19th and she still wakes up at least once and most nights twice. I just want her to have a good nights sleep aswell as myself cause my partner is useless at night xx
I had the same problem until I tried a water bottle type cup. it has a hard top, but she can suck on it to get the milk or water to come out. She did not like any of the sippy cups I tried until this one. She is doing better with it everyday. But I have not gotten her to hold it herself yet. I have to hold it for her. Hope this helps!
Today a Pediatrician will tell you not to exceed 24oz within 24hours and to never give a child over 4oz of whole milk at a time otherwise your child is not getting the proper nutrition because he or she is to full to eat. (not to mention you are over exposing your child early on to the growth hormones in milk, which mind you has been proven to cause early onset puberty later in life)

Also don't forget a child who is one should be eating a well balanced diet throughout the day consisting of; a healthy morning breakfast, a healthy snack before lunch, a healthy Lunch, a healthy snack before dinner, and a healthy dinner.

When you choose to give a child his bottles or sippy cup varies on your child's scheduled.

Mind you never to give a child under two juice in a bottle or sippy cup, only water or milk (never milk after you brush your child's teeth before bed) this is to prevent cavities and or milk rot.
To add to my earlier post, ever child is different and can eat less or more then the previous day. NEVER fore feed your child because you feel he or she is eating less then say "last week". Follow your child's ques to when he or she is hungry or full.